• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

Curious to see what grades you receive from NGC. I sent 8 2017 proof one ounce Libertads into PCGS and got 7 69"s and 1 70.
I received an PF70 on the 1/10oz, and 1/4oz and unfortunately PF69 on the 1/2oz proof...

I also received MS69 on my 1/4oz Libertad's... I am very happy with my MS67 on my 1981 1/4oz Onza.

Well I have received my grades from PCGS, some good news and some bad.

My 1902 Proof Matte coins all received pretty decent grades and the Sovereign and 1/2 Half Sovereign both actually got graded, these I was worried about as at the auction they were marked as "Cleaned". PCGS seemed to disagree with this.

The bad news is my 1910 1/2 Crown got "Details Damage" which I disagree with. The 1908 was in much worse shape and actually has a few marks on it and yet got a grade.

The 1910 was bought from auction and was described as EF or better.

59f2e873d7091_pcgsgrades.png.b07978fe5b21a6a16b0891b50975f923.png

59f2e93a28539_1908HalfCrown.thumb.jpg.5a5984efa51c6380db734a0291f87a7f.jpg

59f2e95fdb87a_1910HalfCrown.thumb.jpg.8ef735e6c1bfca9099b7af90138c956e.jpg

Maybe someone else can see something I'm not seeing, except for the mark on the reverse on the right side I can't see anything that would warrant a damage grade.

I'm now torn between taking it from the slab and reselling it or just accepting the grade.

2 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Looking at the coin in hand is better than a picture. From the picture i can't see anything specific that would merit the grade

I did Inspect them both before I sent them and I didn't notice anything that would warrant giving it a low grade, never mind a damaged grade.

I wish PCGS/NGC would give reasons as to why they apply these grades, especially when the damage isn't clearly visible.

The damage to the nose on the 1908 is worse than anything I can see on the 1910.

36 minutes ago, metalslug said:

The bad news is my 1910 1/2 Crown got "Details Damage" which I disagree with.

59f2e95fdb87a_1910HalfCrown.thumb.jpg.8ef735e6c1bfca9099b7af90138c956e.jpg

Maybe someone else can see something I'm not seeing

It might be the light but just to the right of the 'E' of EDWARD could be a ding in the rim. Maybe the damage is on the rim rather than the obverse/reverse or you should consider resubmitting?

21 minutes ago, augur said:

It might be the light but just to the right of the 'E' of EDWARD could be a ding in the rim. Maybe the damage is on the rim rather than the obverse/reverse or you should consider resubmitting?

Yea, potentially there could be damage on the rim, does look abit warped near the E. But you would think if it was bad enough to warrant a damage grade it should be noticeable from the front/reverse.

I might resubmit it, but knowing my luck it would just end up with the same grade.

Ill see if I can see any damage when I receive my PCGS photos.

Edited by metalslug

There looks quite a bit of wear or even "flatting" on the forehead, hairline, beard and moustache that doesn't seem commensurate with the rest of the obverse especially the ear and all of the reverse. Also, it looks quite bright as though it's been dipped/cleaned. I wonder if they put all this together under the "damaged" banner for want of something to say?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon