• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed rhodium 1/2 oz

8phwt

14 hours ago, Goldhooked said:

I know some people have issues with PayPal but it’s usually self inflicted. 

In a way, yes, it is self inflicted. I choose not to use paypal. I have an "idealogical problem" with paypal's data-mining policies.

I quit using them before the whole facebook data-mining scandal blew up for the same reasons.

Today on Ebay UK you cant list without accepting paypal, even if you specify no postage and 'collection only'

Cash in crumply bank notes for this sale please.

Saying that - we're on pause - I'm not in the UK - but will be happy to bump and put a piece of cake in the post  @StackerNoob when I'm back!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your thoughts on Paypal. I ideologically prefer to avoid the institutions too. I don't want to buy any Rhodium from you but might it boost your chances of a sale if you accept cash in the post via signed for recorded delivery? I've sent cash in the post before with no problems. And if it's signed for, neither side can pull a fast one.

It costs a few of extra quid for recorded delivery but would remove the barrier of meeting in person. Sometimes offering more choices widens your net.

Thank you @bluemoon

No, I wouldn't be comfortable accepting cash in the post. 

Me, I wouldn't post a large sum of money to a stranger on the internet. I just wouldn't. And I wouldn't ask another person to do it either. Ok, for a £10/20 purchase sure, I might take the risk. But for me, I'm not a big stacker or dealer like many on here. An ounce of gold, a tube of silver, a piece of rhodium, thats a significant amount of money in my world... 

Come and inspect, don't rush, be happy, shake hands, make a deal. Best way. I think if someone was seriously considering a purchase, they'd be factoring in the time and transport costs; its an inconvenience sure, but then thats the trade off. If they value their time and convenience more highly, they'd be going direct to a professional dealer, get a good service, delivered to their home, and they'll be paying the premium for that.

I will give this advert a good bump when I'm back and able to sell again, but until then better to consider this a hibernating sales thread!

2 hours ago, 8phwt said:

In a way, yes, it is self inflicted. I choose not to use paypal. I have an "idealogical problem" with paypal's data-mining policies.

Are eBay not just as bad in this respect?

I'm not sure if full details have been released yet, but we may well still be required to accept "eBay payment" on listings once they change to Adyen, even if you only want to take cash.  The change will just mean that the payment system is fully integrated in to eBay rather than having to log in to 3rd party provider.  This is just another step in eBay's lust to become more like Amazon and if you sell on Amazon you are required to accept payments through their own integrated payment system.

Sorry to run off track, but I'm not convinced eBay will become the selling utopia you are hoping for once they kick Paypal out the door.

1 hour ago, bluemoon said:

I like your thoughts on Paypal. I ideologically prefer to avoid the institutions too. I don't want to buy any Rhodium from you but might it boost your chances of a sale if you accept cash in the post via signed for recorded delivery? I've sent cash in the post before with no problems. And if it's signed for, neither side can pull a fast one.

It costs a few of extra quid for recorded delivery but would remove the barrier of meeting in person. Sometimes offering more choices widens your net.

Royal Mail Signed For (previously called Recorded) only has maximum compensation of £50 and does not cover cash.  You would have to use the more expensive Special Delivery service to ensure cash was properly covered.

17 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

Sorry to run off track

No worries, but perhaps its a topic for another thread / sub-forum 

Fully supportive of @ChrisSIlver pinned thread "Please read: Commenting in sales topics - no unsolicited posts"

I will bump this thread when I'm back in the UK so members local to me can send a PM if they have questions or are interested!

1 minute ago, 8phwt said:

No worries, but perhaps its a topic for another thread / sub-forum 

Fully supportive of @ChrisSIlver pinned thread "Please read: Commenting in sales topics - no unsolicited posts"

I will bump this thread when I'm back in the UK so members local to me can send a PM if they have questions or are interested!

Apologies, it wan't fully unsolicited as I was just responding to something you posted in this thread ;)

Free bump for you :D

7 hours ago, Goldhooked said:

Royal Mail Signed For (previously called Recorded) only has maximum compensation of £50 and does not cover cash.  You would have to use the more expensive Special Delivery service to ensure cash was properly covered.

You are of course correct, my terminology isn't  on point today. Special Delivery is indeed the one you want. That clarified, I can vouch for the safety of sending cash through the post. Never had a problem using it.

• 5 months later...

Archived