• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Rwanda Lunar and Ships series

andyman

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rwanda Santa Maria proof has been presold by a few German dealers from  low of about $90 USD to the most recent price of $190 by a German gouging dealer. I suspect when they are released by the Mayer mint later this month the price will be well over 100 euros. 1000 minted go fast. Forget about the gold BU series. If you do find one somewhere it will be probably cost you 2000 euros. 100 go even faster.

They will never admit they do but I suspect otherwise. Yeah Munzdachs is the gouging.  All the gold are gone according to my German connection. Spoken for I guess you would say. APMEX in the US may get a few of the proofs and BU gold I think. Who do you think mints the coins? A mint in Rwanda?

2 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

I know for definite it's not Mayer, i've been speaking to Bernhard Mayer and he tells me it's definitely not them

Strange to hear this. I too have always understood the Rwanda range (from the African wildlife through to the lunar and now nautical) were definitely minted by B H Mayer for a third party.

2 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

There seems to be some big secret between the German dealers about who it is exactly, but i have a little bit of a clue that i'm working on, god knows what the big secret is about, but it's becoming quite a mystery.

And really you've hit the nail on the head there. What is it with the German coin industry as a whole and all their intrigue? They thrive on it. Good luck getting straight answers from any of them. For years they kept everyone confused about mintages of the Somalia elephants and the Rwanda's too. Jesus, i thought we had at least pinned down who mints the stuff!

Anyone old enough to remember the Simpsons episode with the Stonecutters? This is how i imagine the mints and dealers when they get together for a knees up at their own secret society. Substitute your own lyrics such as "who controls the pre-mi-ums, who keeps mint-ages obscure ....we do....we do".  Yeah, i know. I have far too much time on my hands!

P.S. to be serious for a moment, in muenzdach's defense i would not agree his pricing is gouging with regard to the proof nautical. For the moment it's simply a response to supply v demand. Many collectors and flippers will have seen the going rates for the previous first lunar proof and and have smelled opportunity and are buying up the first nautical in hopeful expectation of it doing the same. It's common practice with any dealer to respond with gradual increases as demand looks to start outstripping supply. And let's face it, a lot of individual buyers just want to jump on the bandwagon and be able to buy it at $90 so THEY can be the ones doing some gouging down the line. The only ones i have sympathy for are the genuine collectors who are now denied getting the coin for a reasonable cost. Anyone want to hazard a guess the ratio of genuine collector v speculator on the nautical proof?

EDIT; noticed an unsettling similarity between the Silver Forum emblem and that on the secret society beer mugs (0:41) hmmm who is BYB really working for??

12 hours ago, swAgger said:

Strange to hear this. I too have always understood the Rwanda range (from the African wildlife through to the lunar and now nautical) were definitely minted by B H Mayer for a third party.

And really you've hit the nail on the head there. What is it with the German coin industry as a whole and all their intrigue? They thrive on it. Good luck getting straight answers from any of them. For years they kept everyone confused about mintages of the Somalia elephants and the Rwanda's too. Jesus, i thought we had at least pinned down who mints the stuff!

Anyone old enough to remember the Simpsons episode with the Stonecutters? This is how i imagine the mints and dealers when they get together for a knees up at their own secret society. Substitute your own lyrics such as "who controls the pre-mi-ums, who keeps mint-ages obscure ....we do....we do".  Yeah, i know. I have far too much time on my hands!

P.S. to be serious for a moment, in muenzdach's defense i would not agree his pricing is gouging with regard to the proof nautical. For the moment it's simply a response to supply v demand. Many collectors and flippers will have seen the going rates for the previous first lunar proof and and have smelled opportunity and are buying up the first nautical in hopeful expectation of it doing the same. It's common practice with any dealer to respond with gradual increases as demand looks to start outstripping supply. And let's face it, a lot of individual buyers just want to jump on the bandwagon and be able to buy it at $90 so THEY can be the ones doing some gouging down the line. The only ones i have sympathy for are the genuine collectors who are now denied getting the coin for a reasonable cost. Anyone want to hazard a guess the ratio of genuine collector v speculator on the nautical proof?

EDIT; noticed an unsettling similarity between the Silver Forum emblem and that on the secret society beer mugs (0:41) hmmm who is BYB really working for??

Gradual price increases is the key word. I would hardly consider muenzdach's price increases gradual in this case. I deal with a German dealer  that does not gouge because he feels  he retains good customers at a much higher rate by keeping his market up reasonable. Kinda makes sense to me. We can agree the coins (both the rooster and the nautical) are being minted in Germany. German dealers get what, maybe 3 of the BU gold allocated to them if they want them and maybe 100 of the silver proofs?  Funny video LOL

48 minutes ago, Sal said:

Gradual price increases is the key word. I would hardly consider muenzdach's price increases gradual in this case. I deal with a German dealer  that does not gouge because he feels  he retains good customers at a much higher rate by keeping his market up reasonable. Kinda makes sense to me. We can agree the coins (both the rooster and the nautical) are being minted in Germany. German dealers get what, maybe 3 of the BU gold allocated to them if they want them and maybe 100 of the silver proofs?  Funny video LOL

Muenzdach is now up to 170 euro for the nautical. THAT is gouging my friend. Plain and simple

4 minutes ago, muenzdachs said:

Not correct, in my webshop it is still 150 Euros...

For sure prices on ebay higher due to their fees

Everyone had a chance to buy below 75 Euros in my webshop and a lot of customers did

If demand increases - prices increases

If stock goes down - price will go up

5 minutes ago, muenzdachs said:

Not correct, in my webshop it is still 150 Euros...

For sure prices on ebay higher due to their fees

Everyone had a chance to buy below 75 Euros in my webshop and a lot of customers did

If demand increases - prices increases

If stock goes down - price will go up

From 75 Euros to 150 Euros  is gouging. You can call it supply and demand.

Missed the boat on this one no pun intended , i think 150 euro + postage is to much in my opinion bearing in mind i cant sell the Rwanda Lunar proof silver rooster on Ebay for £135.

Hi Shortstack,

Well done for getting the gold one.  I missed out on that and 2000 Euro now is a bit much for me which seems to be the price for the only one still for sale at the moment.  Fair play the price as they are sought after and very limited.  Any hints as to who actually mints them?  I've seen several dealers that say they are manufactured by Mayer so its quite interesting to hear that it's not actually Mayer.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

1 minute ago, silversky said:

Hi Shortstack,

Well done for getting the gold one.  I missed out on that and 2000 Euro now is a bit much for me which seems to be the price for the only one still for sale at the moment.  Fair play the price as they are sought after and very limited.  Any hints as to who actually mints them?  I've seen several dealers that say they are manufactured by Mayer so its quite interesting to hear that it's not actually Mayer.

Betcha shortstack  got more than one gold.

3 minutes ago, silversky said:

Hi Shortstack,

I trust my German dealer that says it is the Mayer Mint but it is a big secret so don't tell anyone.

@Sal Did you manage to get a gold santa maria?  If so where from please?  Be nice to know of a dealer that stocks these. Maybe they still have one left for me at a manageable price.  I luckily did manage to get a silver one last week which I'm looking forward to.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

Just now, silversky said:

@Sal Did you manage to get a gold santa maria?  If so where from please?  Be nice to know of a dealer that stocks these. Maybe they still have one left for me at a manageable price.  I luckily did manage to get a silver one last week which I'm looking forward to.

No, like yourself I was too late. Have some silver proofs coming at a decent price though. Have my order in for BU gold year of the dog coming out soon. 

3 minutes ago, silversky said:

APMEX here in the states may be getting a few of the gold. At what price I don't know. 

Archived