• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Flipping art, easy money

At the moment im just buying up anything i think might increase in value (and because i actually like it). When time comes to selling i might just resort to ebay, i reckon because of online sales alot of smaller niche art shops etc have probably died out. This is my first venture into buying art so im waiting to see how it turns out. Something ive wanted to get into for a while but funds werent available at the time

On 22/11/2019 at 18:28, scotland210590 said:

Something ive recently got into aswell, currently got a Shepard Fairey Blondie print, signed by Debbie Harry, Chris Stein and Shepard Fairey, limited to 450

A signed & numbered print from a famous graffiti artist called MadC

Also managed to pick up a Banksy print which im waiting to see what direction it goes...

Art is a big money maker if you buy from the right people, signed prints by Andy Warhol will sell for £250,000, he painted some soup cans just over 20 years back and now it could buy you a house.

Crazy.

Interesting..I collect Jean-Michel Basquiat original exhibition posters..his first painting was rumoured to have been bought by Debbie Harry. He did collaborative work with Andy Warhol, and died soon after Andy..at the age of 28. Amazing nobody knows who Basquiat is..especially when you think his work has sold for over $50m! 

I would love something by JMB, also on the look out for something by Keith Haring aswell but there seems to be alot of counterfeits. I mostly look out for urban art and pop art stuff, i grew up around that culture so its something im familiar with. 

Heres the prints i have 

20191022_192944.thumb.jpg.f3b70043a6cf0b83a215e2225149a908.jpg

20191022_165154.jpg

IMG_1725.JPG

Ok my paintings of the three reptiles had a label on the back, i did some research and the artist Roy Montague Coombs 1910 - 2001 to quote a website Is  "a very important commercial artist for the Rootes group yet because so little of his work is signed his talent is unrecognised. It would appear that he was the principal motoring artist at Astral Design having effectively taken over from Frank Wootton. Astral were the agency that produced artwork for the Rootes Group in the 1950s to 60's."

He was Local to me apon death. 

I noticed a sticker on the back of the paintings...

DSC_4032.thumb.JPG.7633cfad7fa19614ea7c6500644af410.JPG

So I realised these may be book illustrations, I thought D.cook would be the author but that was not the case, however searching for "the desserts roy coombs" did find me a book, £2.70 delivered from amazon..

DSC_4030_(2).thumb.JPG.b64408331bf68fe5c6f225cd46408bd9.JPG

and inside..

DSC_4031.thumb.JPG.43ecd90125f1b0d62d5a4288b4daba15.JPG

I thought this was pretty damn cool, above the level you can see in pencil "reduce by 33 1/3 %"  , the signature is also very good, much better than other art works I have seen. I bought this because I liked it but actually I think I have added some value here now:)

On 28/11/2019 at 17:43, scotland210590 said:

I would love something by JMB, also on the look out for something by Keith Haring aswell but there seems to be alot of counterfeits. I mostly look out for urban art and pop art stuff, i grew up around that culture so its something im familiar with. 

Heres the prints i have 

20191022_192944.thumb.jpg.f3b70043a6cf0b83a215e2225149a908.jpg

20191022_165154.jpg

IMG_1725.JPG

Check this out...your lucky day!

https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/exhibition/keith-haring-jean-michel-basquiat/

Just taken delivery of a few more Basquiat posters from New York...shame about the VAT bill though☹️..ouch!

7A0D720C-BA68-4A31-9848-4F4CCFAB45A6.thumb.jpeg.6fcd828fb68a2e73a7d6453d7b0e4e72.jpeg

E151AA95-7B51-4E23-9C2D-DC270FE3ACAD.thumb.jpeg.00d03f419d9a73fa543e448da9bff696.jpeg

Just getting these two framed up for myself, the rest will go into storage for a few years, then will hopefully be sold for a profit...well that’s the plan anyway!

29 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Awesome picture..could you send me the link to enter...And how much am I looking at?💰💰💰

Link to enter is on Pejacs website, just go on the main page and scroll down, Cost to enter the draw is 36 euros, you get a postcard size copy of the art work just for entering.

If you win the draw the cost to buy the print is 1400 euros

https://www.pejac.es/#h2o-01

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting thread for me @mr-dead I used to be a member on uaa many moons ago when alot of the old heads like mikeydread, fragilefragile etc where around. Art's how I pay my way but I stick to what I know, whenever I buy art I've no knowledge in I tend to take a hit, not a problem if you like the piece but not so good if you don't! The print release markets very different nowadays, in the old days of picturesonwalls(not Inc Banksy obvs as its a breed of its own) it was in at its heights. There's certainly deals to be done. Take your time and look at the history/progression/hype of the Artist though, whether they've exploded in a short time or risen up. There's alot of babies to held in the artworld so to speak. 

1 minute ago, Kookaburracollector said:

More Basquiat posters, this time from The National Gallery Victoria (Australia) - 2 Full sets..one to frame and keep, one for stock. 
AEE68FE9-DC54-411B-9B89-138201089B82.thumb.jpeg.18c2e34074455b2991c2f929633a4e58.jpeg
The ones from New York framed up pretty well😃

035A92BB-1FD9-4322-8CA0-F6AD6FD86C1C.thumb.jpeg.1db7434b95705e47ab69b1e13d0d7f48.jpeg

D279351A-664B-4B35-AE82-DBF7E55E785B.thumb.jpeg.fb0278d8fd79fcbbcac30681fc16a9c5.jpeg

The banksquiat canvas at the walled off hotel is classic Banksy, Basquiat rip off with Banksy copyright lol, too funny

58 minutes ago, AndyL said:

The banksquiat canvas at the walled off hotel is classic Banksy, Basquiat rip off with Banksy copyright lol, too funny

Fortunately, I like both artists..so can forgive Banksy for ‘seeking inspiration’ in the works of others!..after the shredder stunt at auction, how can you not admire the man!

2 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Fortunately, I like both artists..so can forgive Banksy for ‘seeking inspiration’ in the works of others!..after the shredder stunt at auction, how can you not admire the man!

Very true, I love both and I'm certain the banksquiat was created with respect and a bowed head but with typical Banksy edge, I'm sure JMB would have a giggle looking down. 

Edited by AndyL
Misspelled

I'm only interested in making money out of the idea. Art doesn't interest me. Is the profiteering just a case of arbitrage? So buy a piece from an artist when released and then once all 100 prints are sold out, sell it on eBay ?

3 minutes ago, bluemoon said:

I'm only interested in making money out of the idea. Art doesn't interest me. Is the profiteering just a case of arbitrage? So buy a piece from an artist when released and then once all 100 prints are sold out, sell it on eBay ?

in demand prints sell out within seconds, it's a sit on the website hitting refresh until it goes live then get through the checkout as quickly as possible

5 minutes ago, bluemoon said:

Also needs a bit of knowledge about what is hot and what is not. I have a small urban art collection. I will possibly sell a small % of it over the coming months to buy more gold.

1 hour ago, bluemoon said:

If you're not interested in art and don't have much knowledge of the industry I'd say you'd be better using your time to focus on what you do know, especially in the current climate. Having gone through 2008 the next few years is likely to be tough for 90% of the art industry. There will be opportunities in the flipping game if that's what you're into but alot less than the previous years, even in the urban art print release game as alot of end buyers of that market will have alot less disposable income, you'll need to be much more selective on which artists to focus on. On the plus side if you're cash rich theres likely to be alot of opportunities to buy good work at lower prices with volume needing to sell quick. It took a year or so last time around then a flood of work hit the market. My advice is if you're thinking you'll be selling in the next 6-12months nows probably a better time if you can get a decent price, I wouldn't sit back too long to see how it's going to unfold. If you sell now you could still get a good price, if you wait you'll either get a good price as before or loose a chunk/struggle to sell, it's unlikely much will be going up so holding on too long has negative possibilities but no real plus marks. Hopefully it'll all be fine and dandy though 😀

Edited by AndyL

• 1 month later...

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use