• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 Britannia proof

Silverstackeruk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Lea79 said:

It's an awful design.  I'm really disappointed as I was looking forward to getting the anniversary edition for my collection.  

Whoever sanctioned this design in the royal mint needs sacking!! The fool! 

You looks better than the Britannia 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

16 minutes ago, whitesands1 said:

Not sure about this one.  The "outfit" is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  So the Irish Free State is not depicted.  Looks like a propaganda publication trying to deny that Irish Republic exists at all.   A few other islands and parts of the mainland missing too.  Certainly different.  Maybe a video from the designer will help explain.

Maybe the shape of things to come for the "new age" of coin collecting.

Very interesting observations.  Another oddity I've noticed after looking at the design probably more than I should today is the unnatural and unrealistic position of her left arm.  She's holding a shield and we're seeing the back of the shield but the way she's clasping it is not how you'd hold a shield.  I understand this is art and doesn't necessarily have to reflect real life but it makes an already hard to love design that much more of a strain on the eyes and imagination.

The posture is very unnatural for sure. Her back is turned to us, she's facing one way, but holding the shield (in what seems to be an excruciating hand position) in the opposite direction.

The way her fist is clenched about the shield's handle is also completely wrong - the thumb would never be on the inside, you'd hold it with fingers inside and thumb along the handle.

11c.jpg

I wouldn't blame the artist for taking liberties with his design. But I would have expected the RM to pick a better design.

My google fu tells me the designer is a second year Jewellery design student, Louis Tamlyn.

https://csmbajewellery.wordpress.com/2017/07/02/cartier-portfolio-award-winners-announced/

He's won a couple of prestigious awards including a years internship at Cartier. Maybe he's the next Damien Hurst.

Or maybe it's just a rubbish design he did while he was drunk as a piss take.

Stick to jewelry and wallpaper kid and stop nicking ideas from others (unless the student designed the clothing the women in the video wear) 1:38 mark

https://csmbajewellery.wordpress.com/2017/07/07/cartier-award-winner-louis-tamlyn-featured-on-wallpaper/

http://blogs.arts.ac.uk/csm/2014/12/09/museum-acquires-stunning-student-work/louis-tamlyn/

The Platinum 1/4oz

When I bought it they had not finished the specification panel.. Here is what it says now...

2017-08-01_14-04-45.thumb.png.ae0b5968d2dbdee19ab2a3e24793a015.png

750 of these coins will be struck!!

2017-08-01_14-05-47.thumb.png.0644606aa492c4707f802eac21150d1e.png

However in the panel they now say maximum mintage is 850...

HMMMMM.....

Lets take a look at the pics....

2017-08-01_14-07-14.png.061fd22a96cd3cbfac675ee8adfc66e7.png

This is meant to be a 20mm diameter coin in a standard box....

2017-08-01_14-08-31.png.2a2ba9777aec2ec6802c8234080da9cc.png

This is meant to be a 22mm diameter coin in a standard box.

I am not sure the guys at the RM have heard of Trade Descriptions...

Good news ! All of the 2017 Britannia proofs are still available, with none of the customary "90% reserved" flags on the website..?. 

I think we all know why! 

Initially I was undecided on the design .,, but that debate is now over: it's art-school rubbish. Makes you wonder about the fundamental management processes at the Royal Mint. It's not as if the Mint gets distracted with making other products and producing numismatic treasure is a distraction : this is the only reason they exist, the only thing they do....and to not have any connection to us as the buyers is a business flaw. I feel sorry for the staff who put the blanks into the press ... as they probably knew it was a shocker   

On the design - most of its already been well said in the posts above, but my particular frustrations: the pretence that Ireland has "disappeared" I find insensitive, the mush for Cornwall and the South coast is odd to put it mildly, the actual flat design on the map and the shield (or is that a cheap frisbee?) is unexciting, the trident in her hand resembles a garden fork more than a potent weapon etc etc  

i will stop there on the design.  

Platinum is one of my favourite PMs and I have a few different 1 ounce coins from different countries, but I have to say that paying £495 for a quarter ounce is a stunt I will not fall for. That is pretty much a 4x premium over regular Pt when bought in the US - so not even a fancy box and a COA and only 750 (or 850 @Numistacker)  will change my mind. 

Mind you -  the 2016 Britannia design was already pretty crap - so we should not expect much. Maybe we should celebrate that the Bullion side got the 2017 designs and the 20 and 30 anniversary versions so spot- on?!?

So after that rant ...,will I buy any? 

I feel I have to buy a silver proof for the collection (can keep it in the box, with the lid down!). On the gold - I don't have a collection so I don't need any from that angle. So the only other reason to buy is scarcity and the prospect of flipping .....but when I read all of our comments - is there ever going to be a demand for these ? I guess history tells us that rarity will always drive up the price so maybe it's still a good investment? 

Or maybe just stick with the Queens Beasts and sovereigns / Libertads etc! 

Lindeman 

I wanted the 5oz and 1oz proofs as I have the full sets starting from 2013..but I refuse to pay all that money on something so ugly just to make up the set..also after all the queens beasts milk spotting this has put me off royal mint silver for life..

1 hour ago, Pampfan said:

Upon review of this design it reminds me of a witch a top a broomstick who is trying to fend off an attack - possibly Brexit related.

You'd think a witch would have the power to at least try to be attractive though!

It's horrible!

I love the 30th anniversary gold and 20th anniversary silver Brits that have come out this year. I dont understand why they didn't keep them close to that design. 
This design does seem like a big step in the wrong direction. I am a little shocked as the queens beasts sets so far gave me high hopes.

4 minutes ago, JSILVER said:

. I am a little shocked as the queens beasts sets so far gave me high hopes.

That's because they're Jody Clark designs, who also did the 2014 Britannia, and he is the best and should do every RM coin :D 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

On 31/07/2017 at 16:56, whitesands1 said:

Not sure about this one.  The "outfit" is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  So the Irish Free State is not depicted.  Looks like a propaganda publication trying to deny that Irish Republic exists at all.   A few other islands and parts of the mainland missing too.  Certainly different.  Maybe a video from the designer will help explain.

Maybe the shape of things to come for the "new age" of coin collecting.

Ireland missing is certainly a strange decision.  It could quite easily have been finished in matte, to ensure a separation between the two countries.  Making NI an island of its own is downright odd.

7 minutes ago, arcglide said:

1/2oz gold next to 1/4 platinum..

899379eacbdc967562c2a938e7ac3f7e.jpg

IMO this design favours gold (and the smaller form-factor). Impressed with the depth that the closer radials on the platinum create.

I agree. I went with the 1/4 gold over the 1/4 platinum. In gold i dig the design, in silver and platinum not that much... But who knows. If it sticks around long enough i can be triggered for the platinum version also. Have to see first the gold coin in hand. Thanks for the picture! 

21 hours ago, Kman said:

That's because they're Jody Clark designs, who also did the 2014 Britannia, and he is the best and should do every RM coin :D 

I suppose they have to give others a go.
This person won a competition though to design this coin.
I don't think we should pick on the designer, we should be going after the RM judges! 
Someone thought this was a competition winner! I for one would love to see the other entries...

Looks like a guy in drag and the mintage has jumped again.  I don't think the silver will hold its price.  Not even compared to the last couple of years ones which have sometimes sold for less than the new price already.

Archived