• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Britannia 2017 release date?

Kman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HyHy said:

Totally agree with that this design is just totally gibberish. Well can spend the money I allocated for Britannia on more lions emoji6.pngemoji6.pngemoji6.png

I wish I knew the proper art terminology as to why it's so bad, then I could roast it properly lol

Whoever chooses the artwork at the Royal Mint needs to be fired

Of all the beautiful designs I'm sure they're offered, or could source, this is what they choose.... Britannia's arms and legs just stuck on the British Isle... I bet the fine art student just sent it in as a joke. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

"a modern interpretation of Britannia by the young, fine art student Louis Tamlyn.....a student at Central Saint Martins, has designed a Britannia that captures enduring aspects of the nation – the stable and ancient island that we inhabit."

Depending on how Brexit pans out, this could possibly be the makings of a historically significant coin in years to come once Brexit is a done deal or if it happens at all

I wont be buying any of them personally, but would be happy to get the 1/4 gold if the price is right in years to come, but not the current RM £200+ mark up they are charging 

The design is brave but does not quite work and looks a little messy. Despite that I bought a Platinum one and a Silver 1oz one for delivery to the USA without the VAT and with cashback from Topcashback.co.uk 

Wow...that is terrible. Terrible. I don't care what the mintages are or if it was a triple error coin, it's just plain ugly and I'm kinda happy I get to save my money.

There are some great auctions coming up in September on both sides of the pond. This just gives me the opportunity to save more for those events. What was the RM thinking...quite a fall from grace when comparing it to several recent Britannia proof offerings with the 2014 absolutely shaming this coin.

4 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

The design is brave but does not quite work and looks a little messy. Despite that I bought a Platinum one and a Silver 1oz one for delivery to the USA without the VAT and with cashback from Topcashback.co.uk 

nice prices. of course, you'll declare them for vat when you bring them back to the uk?;)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

While still trying to make sense of this Salvador Dali-esque lemon, it's kinda sad because when I first went to the RMs website this morning, the bare-shouldered woman in the long flowing gown standing on the rocky, storm-torn shore looks hauntingly beautiful and that itself could have made an interesting coin. What a stark contrast once you click "Shop Now".

Screenshot_20170731-062708.thumb.png.af0129ee23c695e872a820e146bd819f.png

2 hours ago, Quicksilver said:

Been looking forward to the release of the Britannia. I must say for me it looks awful. Just look where here backside should be:huh:

What's that Monty Python line..(to Northern Ireland) "I fart in your general direction"

I ask myself the question if a milestone coin as this isn't able to cover the bad design. I still think these kind of special milestones in the history of the Britannia can do well in the after market. Besides the fact that the design is indeed terrible i'm still not so convinced on not buying a few.. Even the 1/4 ounce gold is (besides the incredible premium on it) still in some creepy way attractive. The only thing i don't understand is the high mintage on it. 

47 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

nice prices. of course, you'll declare them for vat when you bring them back to the uk?;)

Of course Steve...

3 minutes ago, PolarPanda said:

It can be a stupid question, but in the descriptions on the RM website of the different coins they mention sometimes a 20 and sometimes a 30 years milestone? On the page of the 1 OZ proof they mention that they used the 20 mark and on the 1/4 ounce proof page they are talking about a number 30 mark?? What am i missing here?

20 for silver

30 for gold

I can understand why a lot hate this design, but I think its the fact that they have gone for something massively different that the coin may actually do quite well. 

I will reserve judgement until I see it in the hand, Six coin set ordered - will put a youtube video up. 

all very confusing to a newbie as to buy or not, not just from a aesthetic point which does not jump out as pleasing to look at to me   but future collectable, and in what metal  gold . silver . plat ? etc

ah well looks like a  , "you pays yer money and takes yer chance " deal

dean.m

Just now, Augustus1 said:

all very confusing to a newbie as to buy or not, not just from a aesthetic point which does not jump out as pleasing to look at to me   but future collectable, and in what metal  gold . silver . plat ? etc

The only Britannia that does  really well is 2014 proof (because it's a beautiful design)

I just checked, on Ebay you can pick up the 1 oz siver 2016, 15, 13 designs for around issue price, says it all. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Archived