• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Thoughts please

matrawr

1 minute ago, matrawr said:

Was wondering what you think is this genuine or counterfeit? Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1878-CC-Silver-Morgan-Dollar/391828477114

Looks OK, seller is established 200+ rating and he is selling other coins. 

Sadly you can never 100% know until the coin is in hand, but I would say it looks OK.

I may be wrong of course ?

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

If you look at all the other Morgan's he is selling they all look the same - I think it is a fake.

But as said by others  - pictures can be deceiving and the only way to know for sure is to have it in hand.

i would email him and just ask if it is a reproduction or original, his description in the auction is quite vague.

4 hours ago, mongo28 said:

The eagle is a dead give away, total fake. Just look at the chest/neck feathers

Seriously? Damn fakes are getting better all the time. The chest/neck just looks worn to me and the wear and tear on the obverse really looks natural for a cleaned and retoned coin.

57 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

Seriously? Damn fakes are getting better all the time. The chest/neck just looks worn to me and the wear and tear on the obverse really looks natural for a cleaned and retoned coin.

To be fair I purchased one from someone who'd been dealing for 14 years and told me he never had to refund anyone on eBay......... failed my she and resonance tests.

31 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

?

A guy called Steve though not in his ebay name and seemed a nice enough guy returned the coin the other day he still hasn't received it yet but said he'll refund when he gets it back it's got to be signed for so I'll know soon enough.

15 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Quite a lot of fake coins also emirate from Ireland (not made there, just chancers)............I had a CC Morgan, not sure if i still have a picture but will try and dig it out

Yes that link I posted noticed one or two abit off so wasn't too confident. Please do share if you come across it.

25 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Screenshot 2017-07-07 02.34.52.png

Thanks anything to help us honest people to stop getting ripped off by those scammers is helpful I'm also quite sceptical if I see one with small black marks amongst the letting am I right to be?

No, to me the black marks inside lettering suggest a cleaned coin because the insides of lettering is hard to get to. I'm going to have to re-educate myself on Morgan fakes because I handle a lot of old silver and this just screams real but cleaned and retoned to me

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.251ad6a37b8a6f38bd1da4108d586f22.jpg

56 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

No, to me the black marks inside lettering suggest a cleaned coin because the insides of lettering is hard to get to. I'm going to have to re-educate myself on Morgan fakes because I handle a lot of old silver and this just screams real but cleaned and retoned to me

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.251ad6a37b8a6f38bd1da4108d586f22.jpg

I think it's important especially with this type of silver as they can make a mint and people like us could end up being out of pocket majorly.

3 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

Well, I have a couple but i'd only buy Carson City slabbed and fully lustrous examples.

Yes I do like the luster on them....I could be addicted to the shiny stuff :P but still do the tests!

Archived