• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Scottsdales 1oz Bu Ghana leopard mix up

swAgger

Many of these African collector coins have nothing or very little to do with the country itself or its people...the Somali Elephants and the Rwanda Lunar Rooster/Wildlife are both minted in Germany, the Ghana Leopard is minted in Arizona (of all places), etc.  I'd bet my lunch money the people of those countries 1) aren't benefiting a bit from the sale of these coins, 2) likely aren't aware they even exist and the collectors buying them (present company excluded) don't give it a second thought.  I can truly appreciate that the Forum members on this thread want these coins to be a smash hit but to rally a crusade in the name of the people of Ghana seems a bit much.

One could argue the opposite that buying these coins at all perpetuates the government corruption that is rampant in that part of the world where government officials thrive (by signing agreements such as these with foreign Mints) while the common citizen lives in substandard conditions.

Just another thought...calling people names and labeling them for opinions they may have, ("Please don't be simple minded and think that I am only trying to make a profit", "For anyone to say that this isn't an error is an ignorant person that has no regard for the people of Ghana.") isn't a great way to build relationships.  If I want to think you're in this solely for the cabbage, that's an opinion I'm entitled to and it doesn't make me simple-minded.  If by chance I don't think this is an error, it doesn't make me ignorant and says nothing about how I feel about the people of Ghana.  Just my $0.40 (really my $0.02 erroneously inflated 20 times).

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Jester. Now that is a response from a very wise person. I can't thank you enough, you are right and it is very wrong to call people ignorant and simple minded. Thanks and that was a well written response.

I apologize to anyone that I offended, I do regret the post, as I sent it in a time that I was upset for being called a pumper.

There is truth to it, as at first I didn't really know much about Ghana, a different MM looks after Ghana in my office and I was at first just wanting to use the story for my benefit, but it did change my mind as the more I learned about them the more I have respect for them.

I was born in South Africa and my dad was a missionary that would go and preach the gossip to people that live solely in the bush. Some of my best childhood memories were of camping in the bush far away from civilization. So I have seen first hand how countries like Zimbabwe have been destroyed by hyperinflation and money printing. I also know someone that lost a farm and a business and ended up leaving Zimbabwe with nothing.

Big dramatic story just to pump some coins, who knows, I can't prove much more that I do care for Ghanaians as I do benefit from the coins going up in value.

I'm sure that if I didn't have this coin, I wouldn't have put all this work into tracking and bring awareness to this coin as I have done.

Not that I'm a big fan of SD bullion after the mix up I had but if anyone is looking for the 5 cedi coin they have 250 of them listed for $21.20 each. $6 cheaper per coin than Apmex currently. 
https://sdbullion.com/2017-african-ghana-leopard-1-oz-silver-coin

Hey sjjma, if I had the available cash I would go for it. I don't know how well the 5 Cedis will do but I'm sure that you could easily get your money back with maybe a bit more. At that price you'll be safe. Just my opinion I hope that I don't come off as arrogant.

I hope to get some in late august. At the current sell run rate I'm hoping that there are some leftovers.

SD Bullion are a good company though they can only do the best they can with such tight margins.
If anyone has a chance to listen to their experienced analysts giving an weekly update. See below link. The Jim Sinclair story is sort of what I was trying to do with this coin. We all want this coin (5 Cedi included) to do really well, and this community together has raised much attention for this coin when the mint is staying silent about this coin.

Members of this community have made some very good YouTube videos that are getting attention and the general feel is that people like the coin. Those that have helped, I thank you, and if there is anything that I could help with in the future please let me know. I would really like to pay it forward.

8 hours ago, Moi said:

Any developments , am thinking about getting quite a few though mostly because I like the design.

The price is slowly rising on these, last 3 sold on ebay range between £29-£34

GS.be are down to 54 in stock and have bumped the price 3 Euros.

I'm just waiting to see what the 5 Cedi release does to the price.

6 hours ago, Moi said:

Thank you. I have not seen any 5 cedi yet i wonder how long the production process is to switch to these.

I ordered one 5 coin strip of the 5 cedi coin from SD bullion ($21 per coin). It shipped Tuesday... It shipped from Michigan and I live in Michigan but for some reason it's at a fedex in Ohio currently and says it won't arrive until next Monday. I guess it doesnt really matter but it just seems like it shouldn't take that long. USPS would probably be here tomorrow.

Quality wise this bullion coin isn't great. While the scratches and dings nicely blend into the jaguar camouflage and make it look even more fierce and battle worn, her majesty would be less amused with her rough appearance and there seems to be some milk on her neck as well.

After all RM and RCM don't seem to produce so bad silver after all.

IMG_5820.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

It would be good to get some opinion from Numistacker and others if it's worth slabbing coins in a condition like this. If they should shoot up to the heights of £90/$120/€100 it might be worth being able to prove they're authentic...

btw eBay going rate already $40+

It might be but as seen in this thread, the quality is mixed. You would need to scour these carefully before submitting, MS70's may be hard to come by.

For me, I need to see genuine interest in the coin as a collectable rather than a bunch of stackers like us generating interest and buzz by trying to get on the flipping train.

Doesn't grading help create interest. As if already prestigious enough to be worthwhile. Seems a clever branding manauvre, all kinds of catchpenny coins come up with grades. 

It would be good to get some opinion from Numistacker and others if it's worth slabbing coins in a condition like this. If they should shoot up to the heights of £90/$120/€100 it might be worth being able to prove they're authentic...

btw eBay going rate already $40+

Grading bullion is not normally my bag [emoji161] baby [emoji64] .... but I had a good feeling about this one and picked up 10 of the 100's. If any look good I will Grade them.

Archived