• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help - Numismatic And Philatelic Milestones Of The Millennium Coins

HighlandTiger

After buying three different coins from the "numismatic and philatelic milestones of the millennium" series. I am trying to find out more details about them. Who made them? How many were made? etc.

So far I've come up with nothing online. Perhaps someone out there can help. There appears to be both gold and silver versions.

$_57.JPG$_57.JPG

I'd seen them before, and i got them from a very well known coin dealer. I have found many places selling them (both gold and silver version) including normal auction houses not just ebay. So I have no doubt they are genuine gold and silver coins even Chards have advertised both silver and gold versions.

"Great Britain(?). ND. "Princess Diana's Pattern Gold Euro." Proof.   view.gif 
Weight: 3.19 grams. Fineness: 0.9999. AGW: 0.1000 ounces. From the "Numismatic and Philatelic Milestones of the Millennium" series. An interesting private issue. Unlisted in the Standard Catalogue and Unusual World Coins."

even auction houses seem to be struggling with these, had a look and i too cant find out much about them.

"foedus inviolabile is the union of three figures standing there, Britannia, Hibernia, and scotia, Distinguished by the thistle, harp and st Georges cross."

This is all i can find mate, sounds like its certainly from the UK and probably part of a medal set?

I believe these were produced by the Gold and Silver Bureau based in Essex. They went bust in 2002 

Thanks, AG.

Found this article from 1996,

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/not-such-a-golden-opportunity-1338243.html

nothing about my coins, but this quote made me smile. Especially the prices.....they are talking about gold sovs.

"The Gold and Silver Bureau, which places the advertorial, is offering examples at "only pounds 109.50 each" and claims this represents "outstanding value for money".

Tempting though the offer may seem, buyers should beware. Leaving aside the gyrations seen in the bullion market over the past few years, culminating in a further drop in gold prices in the aftermath of the Sumitomo copper scandal last week, there are additional reasons why it makes sense to steer clear of this outstanding opportunity.

To be sure, the advertisers are offering genuine gold sovereigns, but at a considerable premium to the going market rate. Ordinary antique Victorian gold sovereigns, which are bullion coins as opposed to collectors' pieces, are available in abundance at around pounds 68 each."

£68 each...... If only I stacked in 1996. I was earning loads then. I used to spend more than that on a QUIET night out on the town.   :rolleyes:

I remember that in part the reason SGB went bust was  due to one of the tabloids doing some articles on what shall we say was their some what dubious marketing practises.

They heavily advertised in the national papers that they were offering 'specials' 'limited numbers' and 'never to be repeated offers' but as the article above alludes to they were simply talking up the price. 

Also if memory serves me right Chards picked up some if not all of the stock from the administrator and for a good few years post their liquidation the blue boxes of the millennium collections could be seen in auction house up and down the country as well as being advertised online 

I remember that in part the reason SGB went bust was  due to one of the tabloids doing some articles on what shall we say was their some what dubious marketing practises.

They heavily advertised in the national papers that they were offering 'specials' 'limited numbers' and 'never to be repeated offers' but as the article above alludes to they were simply talking up the price. 

Also if memory serves me right Chards picked up some if not all of the stock from the administrator and for a good few years post their liquidation the blue boxes of the millennium collections could be seen in auction house up and down the country as well as being advertised online 

Well as long as their dubious practices didn't include making dodgy coins, (and if Chards bought their stock, I assume it was all kosher), then I'm happy to pick up their stuff at low prices. Thanks for that AG. I knew I could rely on someone on here knowing something about these coins. Cheers mate  :)

• 3 years later...
On 06/07/2014 at 17:42, HighlandTiger said:

numismatic and philatelic milestones of the millennium

You still collecting these? I just landed one as part of a large auction Got the George Vs Seahorses and Britannia... 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Archived