• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

200 Anniversary "Strike on the day" Sovereign

westminstrel

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Numi makes a statement, i get intrigued, he is the oracle after all.........Lets hope h can tell us when the last plain edge sovereign came out without being a pattern coin......... :)

this is plain enough, can you see anything ?????? I cant :lol:

ccb38441-25bb-4b63-b641-0fc4ff4d3baa.jpg

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

Is the India Sovereign an Indian coin? I suspect not? When graded should it have India as the country? A Victorian Melbourne sovereign? Is that Great Britain made in Australia or an Australian coin? I am confused.

Sovereign well its late here in America and I will settle for a sovereign should weigh what a sovereign weighs and a strike on the day does and a Piedfort doesn't. Measure by diameter and metal however and the Piedfort is a sovereign.

28 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Is the India Sovereign an Indian coin? I suspect not? When graded should it have India as the country? A Victorian Melbourne sovereign? Is that Great Britain made in Australia or an Australian coin? I am confused.

Sovereign well its late here in America and I will settle for a sovereign should weigh what a sovereign weighs and a strike on the day does and a Piedfort doesn't. Measure by diameter and metal however and the Piedfort is a sovereign.

From my limited knowledge, the Sovereign can only be struck based on an official proclamation, so even if some countries carry on the tradition of striking "Sovereigns", they aren't technically "Official Sovereigns".

Was that ridiculously confusing? :)

Well another way to look at it is this... has a Sovereign undergone the Trial of the Pyx to validate its status?

The new Indian Sovereigns DO undergo the Trial of the Pyx. As far as I know, the new Australian Sovereigns struck by the Perth Mint do NOT undergo this test.

So in my opinion, the new India Sovereigns can be classified as "British Sovereigns struck in India" just like the older Sovereigns that were struck at the Royal Mint's branches in Australia, Canada, India, and South Africa were considered "Sovereigns of the Realm".

I received my replacement from Chards today

Absolutely perfect so I'm glad I got it swapped, thanks @ChardLizzie

One thing I notice is that the replacement looks a little more frosted on G&D,  the original one I got you could tell it wasn't proof (next to the proof) with the naked eye, this one you would be hard pressed

However on the Queens side on the BU it is less frosted so you would be able to tell. 

1817.jpg

18171.jpg

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

56 minutes ago, Silvergun said:

Kman you are lucky to have received two , i had confirmation on the 27th of June and still haven't received my coin .:(

Did you call them and arrange delivery? 

They called me to arrange delivery, which I missed, but I called back and they posted same day. 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 minute ago, Kman said:

Did you call them and arrange delivery? 

They called me to arrange delivery, which I missed, but I called back and they posted same day. 

Never had to call them for my previous orders , the orders have  just arrived unannounced

4 hours ago, Silvergun said:

Kman you are lucky to have received two , i had confirmation on the 27th of June and still haven't received my coin .:(

Have you had a missed call or a message. I know they were calling everyone who had ordered one when they arrived. DM your name and I'll arrange dispatch on Monday.

3 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Not sure if new but chards now selling sotd sovereigns for £750.     With notes that they include 'production marks'.     So looks like you can buy the returns

No, I have the ones that have been returned in a box, with all the details - names, cert numbers and information about the marks. I will be getting our photographer to take more photos on Monday. I have personally been through all the sovereigns that have been reserved for customers to make sure they are excellent condition. We have been in contact to see whether we can get replacements from the RM but have not heard anything yet.
We have put a note on the page, I personally spoke to two new customers yesterday and explained that the coins may have some small imperfections and in both instances they were more concerned with owning this particular SotD sovereign even with this issue. Even though they could have bought the proof sovereign for less. 
The coins are BU, not proof. We have seen various imperfections on coins from the RM on all coins - Unc, BU and Proof. In an ideal world all coins with marks would be exchanged by the RM but this isn't always the case as sometimes there are no replacement coins available. 
Usually, we would have spotted the issue however as customers had been waiting for so long, the coins were not opened and checked prior to being sent out. In this case, the coins are not sealed so we should have delayed dispatch and checked all coins first - some customers do not like us opening the boxes at all so it is difficult to satisfy everyone. If a customer is not satisfied with the condition of the coin we would try to replace the damaged coin or offer a refund.
I hope this has reassured the forum that we will not be sending you any coins that have previously been returned.

3 minutes ago, ChardLizzie said:

I hope this has reassured the forum that we will not be sending you any coins that have previously been returned.

Thanks @ChardLizzie for doing such a great job and taking the blame for QC issues of the manufacturer. 

It would be amazing if @QCRoyalMint would give some reassurance here as to what sort of production mark is not acceptable and will immediately be melted down and reminted. 

1 hour ago, ChardLizzie said:

No, I have the ones that have been returned in a box, with all the details - names, cert numbers and information about the marks. I will be getting our photographer to take more photos on Monday. I have personally been through all the sovereigns that have been reserved for customers to make sure they are excellent condition. We have been in contact to see whether we can get replacements from the RM but have not heard anything yet.
We have put a note on the page, I personally spoke to two new customers yesterday and explained that the coins may have some small imperfections and in both instances they were more concerned with owning this particular SotD sovereign even with this issue. Even though they could have bought the proof sovereign for less. 
The coins are BU, not proof. We have seen various imperfections on coins from the RM on all coins - Unc, BU and Proof. In an ideal world all coins with marks would be exchanged by the RM but this isn't always the case as sometimes there are no replacement coins available. 
Usually, we would have spotted the issue however as customers had been waiting for so long, the coins were not opened and checked prior to being sent out. In this case, the coins are not sealed so we should have delayed dispatch and checked all coins first - some customers do not like us opening the boxes at all so it is difficult to satisfy everyone. If a customer is not satisfied with the condition of the coin we would try to replace the damaged coin or offer a refund.

Cheers Lizzie, great to have you part of the forum and thanks again for the replacement which was 100% perfect and promptly sent out 

4 hours ago, ChardLizzie said:

Have you had a missed call or a message. I know they were calling everyone who had ordered one when they arrived. DM your name and I'll arrange dispatch on Monday.

Hello Lizzie. I have a missed call from last Monday. Can I ask how that interferes with delivery?

56 minutes ago, stackspot said:

Hello Lizzie. I have a missed call from last Monday. Can I ask how that interferes with delivery?

We were calling everyone to ensure that it was convenient to dispatch their coins. Quite a few people are on holiday at this time of year and some prefer a particular day for their coin to arrive - they need to be signed for so someone needs to be in to receive it. If you miss the delivery you can rearrange delivery with the Royal Mail bt some people find this a nuisance. If you would like your coin to be dispatched please DM your name and I will arrange for it to be sent on Monday.

Received my replacements from Chards on Saturday - very happy with everything Lizzie did to replace my coins.
It should not be the case that a dealer has to check every coin they send out. I would expect the RM's quality control to pick these issues up but clearly there are problems at present.
I was at a coin fair yesterday and a dealer there gets his coins very early from the Mint. He didn't appear to have any issues.
Maybe quality control scrutinise the first batch meticulously then think that's enough.
Personally I think they should check every 10th coin meticulously at least so they can pick up production issues that will always crop up. If they found an issue they would only have to go back 9 coins.
If something gets on the die then that will be transferred to every coin until removed.
So RM now need to sort QC and Packaging and we are laughing!

It is a beautifully sunny morning in London which heralded the delivery of my replacement SotD BU Sovereign from Chard. My coin is perfect and I am very happy that I chose to purchase from Chard.

I think it is only when something goes awry that you truly find out how good a company are. Chard have dealt with this, a problem not of their making, with utmost understanding and haste.

Once again, thank you Lizzie. 

Archived