• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Unicorn of Scotland, send it back?

KevjustKev

I have the silver unicorn 1oz proof on pre-order from a dealer, but no invoice got yet. I'm having serious doubts about going ahead now. It's not that i should be surprised to see some of those pictures. Buying RM proofs is a gamble for a number of years now. The one and only time i played the RM version of russian roulette with the 5oz versions was with the 2014 5oz britannia. Got lucky then, unlike some. I still, every 6-12 months, root it out to see if any spots have developed. Has anyone here bought any of their 5oz's recently? Interested to hear if these still suffer similar quality problems, or are they at least getting these right.

When i got the 1oz proof lion and went over the entire thing with a loupe i was actually surprised it was perfect. Imagine that - a proof coin these days without any problems! Luxury. Hmm but what to do... keep going? It's a lengthy series to keep going through the anxiety. And i imagine it won't get much better when they catch up on the proofs and rush out the griffin and dragon.

5 hours ago, swAgger said:

Has anyone here bought any of their 5oz's recently?

It's the 5oz silver unicorn and the previous two ones were even worse, in particular the frosting. Now there's a QC sticker on the outside, too.

The gold proof is the 1oz gold unicorn and while the reverse is impeccable the obverse has these little "sand grain impressions". The reflections of the table are not very even but rather stepped opposed to the silver, which appears perfectly even. 

6 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

shocking quality and it seems to be the dies and the blanks, rather than the striking and post production.

So you would return them again? Haven't seen a sovereign up close. 

7 hours ago, augur said:

So you would return them again? Haven't seen a sovereign up close. 

I doubt whether you'll get one better though, maybe. The problem seems to be the surface of the blanks isn't  perfect and the engraving on some parts of the die is very poor. The pics are very much close up though so perhaps they're not so bad really?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

The rm coins are a complete gamble but they have some very attractive designs and when they are done right, as in they actually turn up as a proof, they are awesome.

My policy is a hassle but if it's not 100% flawless then it's not reaching the proof standard and it goes back, and keeps going back until they send a good one or run out. If they run out then I abandon the series. There are plenty other coins to be buying. 

3 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I doubt whether you'll get one better though, maybe.

That's a bit my worry. They did get better with every return so maybe QC tiers the coins according to the number of returns :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

The pics are very much close up though so perhaps they're not so bad really?

Unfortunately my vision is extremely good so I can see it without a loupe but others might not be bothered, least QC -_-

46 minutes ago, KDave said:

The rm coins are a complete gamble but they have some very attractive designs and when they are done right, as in they actually turn up as a proof, they are awesome.

My policy is a hassle but if it's not 100% flawless then it's not reaching the proof standard and it goes back, and keeps going back until they send a good one or run out. If they run out then I abandon the series. There are plenty other coins to be buying. 

In the end we're paying 80% premium so indeed they should be flawless. I can always fall back to the bullion coins where expectations are lower. I'll sleep over it

This is interesting in terms of how NGC looks at these manufacturing flaws: 

http://ebay.com/itm/2017-G-Britain-Queens-Beast-Unicorn-Of-Scotland-NGC-PF70-First-Releases-W-COA-/112474432193?hash=item1a2fffa2c1%3Ag%3AldwAAOSweIlZYQmb&_trkparms=pageci%3Afd097d20-6409-11e7-9879-74dbd18043bb%7Cparentrq%3A236d9b3f15d0aa12e9ca8f24ffec1c18%7Ciid%3A1

It seems that the frosting on this unicorn is as bad as usual (lips, shield rim), still it gets a PF 70 ultra cameo. So apparently NGC only marks down damage caused by handling.

IMG_5650.PNG

IMG_5651.PNG

So after reading all your guys posts I've double checked my Unicorn

I only really looked around the fields for milk spots when I got it

The frosting on mine seems very good overall, but there is a few problems, like the missing bit above the N and the dot in the D

By Royal Mint standards atm it's about as good as you can expect :D 

unicorn.jpg

unicorn2.jpg

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Kman said:

Beautiful coin when they get it right isn't it :D 

Oh yeah ?

I also think silver suits the unicorn better while gold is very nice for the lion. But I won't the the 5oz lion in gold ???

Archived