• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying from APMEX, importing to UK via UPS?

Anyone with any recent experience of how this goes?

Recently made my first order with APMEX and fully aware i'll get stung 5% VAT customs if they do it correctly, or 20% if they don't and will have to claim it back.

I've been searching but cannot see for the life of me any definitive procedure once the order hits these shores. Do UPS sent a bill first before delivery attempt? Deliver first, send an invoice later? Pay on delivery?

Also their tracking updates are all over the place, what's this mean?

Castle Donnington, United Kingdom    2:33  Documentation required for import is incomplete or missing. We are working to obtain this information.
    2:13  Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release. / Your package was released by the clearing agency.
    2:13  Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release.

When I ordered a few months back I got an email when it arrived at customs saying duty was due and I was able to ring up and pay over phone at that point. However the guy delivering it (UPS) was expecting to take payment upon delivery and had to double check with HQ at that point so maybe thats how most people do it

Oh, and the invoice turned up in the post a few days later.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, TangoTango47 said:

When I ordered a few months back I got an email when it arrived at customs saying duty was due and I was able to ring up and pay over phone at that point. However the guy delivering it (UPS) was expecting to take payment upon delivery and had to double check with HQ at that point so maybe thats how most people do it

Interesting... did they charge you the correct VAT ok?

37 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

Anyone with any recent experience of how this goes?

Recently made my first order with APMEX and fully aware i'll get stung 5% VAT customs if they do it correctly, or 20% if they don't and will have to claim it back.

I've been searching but cannot see for the life of me any definitive procedure once the order hits these shores. Do UPS sent a bill first before delivery attempt? Deliver first, send an invoice later? Pay on delivery?

Also their tracking updates are all over the place, what's this mean?

Castle Donnington, United Kingdom    2:33  Documentation required for import is incomplete or missing. We are working to obtain this information.
    2:13  Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release. / Your package was released by the clearing agency.
    2:13  Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release.

What you being charged for postage?

No recent experience receiving from Apmex but however they shipped, UPS or FedEx the courier normally clears the goods on your behalf by paying the VAT to permit delivery.
The default is 20% VAT on the total declared invoice by Apmex which will include contents plus shipping charges.
Then you will be charged a fixed fee from UPS, or whoever, for paying the VAT on your behalf.
You then have to settle with the courier before you receive your goods.

If you have purchased numismatics or collectables and wish to appeal the VAT charge there is a well defined process for doing so and provided your claim is valid ( pictures & references help ) the entry can be resubmitted and the VAT reduced to 5% and you will receive a refund but not the clearing fee. This normally takes about 3 weeks.

UPS are normally fairly good with coin importing. I have purchased quite a few gold coins from the US mint who often use UPS and normally they send me notification from East midlands that they have the item and it is waiting for duty clearance. I have then called them and explained in detail what the item is and they have emailed me a declaration form and once sent back to them the item is delivered. They seem to understand the 5% for silver coins and i have never had a problem.

With Fedex i initially had problems because they were always applying the standard 20% for silver coins, MCM often use Fedex, I always managed to get the duty amended to the correct 5% by sending them emails clarifying the item but this was getting boring every time i imported and had a rant at them, so now they have " flagged" items i buy from this seller and they now always apply the correct 5%. Fedex normally deliver the item first then post the VAT invoice about a week later.

Many sellers do not use the correct commodity codes which results in you getting charged 20% Vat as standard even though their description of the item is often fairly clear on the customs form.

Archived