• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Dix Noonan Webb Woes and Realizations

Jester

So I've been up since 4:00A EST watching today's DNW auction.  I had one lot I really wanted, Lot 287, 1849 Godless Florin in "As Struck" condition.  Estimated to go between £300 - £400, my last bid was £420 and it sold for £440.  It was the best example of this coin I've seen...maybe not the best ever, but the best I've seen.

GodlessFlorin1.thumb.jpg.e3427ecc42509d56b8843b0ba14c52ba.jpgGodlessFlorin2.thumb.jpg.e167fdc93d506daeb5e9dc352125e9f2.jpg

I've also come to the realization that I may not even qualify as a small fish in a big pond...maybe plankton.  Bidders are throwing out crazy money for these coins often four to five times the max estimate by the auction house.  Perhaps all the coins for auction today are highly desirable or it could just be bidding frenzy but a number of lots just had me shaking my head.  Last week, @sovereignsteve posted the results from a recent auction of an EF 1817 GIII Sov that hammered for £2300 (+ comm) having a pre-auction estimate of £400 -£600.  I was loving live auctions last week when I won my 1918-I GV Sov for $350 but since, I've participated in a few that have me thinking otherwise.  Has it always been this way or is it becoming more commonplace in coin auctions or is it really dependent on what's being sold and where?  Only 400 or so more lots to go and then I can go to bed (I took the day off to take part in the auction)...

Was watching the earlier lots as well, some crazy money being thrown around today, nearly every lot beating the estimate by sizeable margins.:(

Can't remember who the auctioneer was for that 1817 but the estimate was way too low. DNW should know what they're doing though.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Unlucky, indeed looks like a perfect florin.

Watching the same auction.

Want to bid on the 1902 proof set, but I know it's probably gonna go way over the estimate; considering people on ebay seem to be asking for 3-4x the upper estimate.

Then I'm gonna end up regretting not bidding on something else earlier on in the auction.

39 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Was watching the earlier lots as well, some crazy money being thrown around today, nearly every lot beating the estimate by sizeable margins.:(

Can't remember who the auctioneer was for that 1817 but the estimate was way too low. DNW should know what they're doing though.

In this auction there is also an 1817 sov, estimate of 2-2.6k

7 minutes ago, metalslug said:

Unlucky, indeed looks like a perfect florin.

Watching the same auction.

Want to bid on the 1902 proof set, but I know it's probably gonna go way over the estimate; considering people on ebay seem to be asking for 3-4x the upper estimate.

Then I'm gonna end up regretting not bidding on something else earlier on in the auction.

I know how you feel.  I snagged the 1807-A Napoleon Quarter France for £140 so the day hasn't been a complete bust.  Later in the lots there are several stunning 1937 GVI Proof Sov sets that I'm anxious to see what they go for.

26 minutes ago, metalslug said:

Yes, I'll be interested to see how it goes. It is better than the one last week though, aUNC.

19 minutes ago, Jester said:

Later in the lots there are several stunning 1937 GVI Proof Sov sets that I'm anxious to see what they go for

Me too. I don't understand their estimate pricing on these. We'll see but I'm sure they'll go above.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Boom!  My back-up plan did come through.  Not as nice as the one above but not bad and I actually think the toning is nice on this coin.  Not a bad day all in all.

1849Florin.thumb.jpg.6bf8df5fb48c006cfb28f6429d91eef8.jpg

Archived