• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2014 Britannia Proof...What Spinks and CCGB aren't telling me.

Jester

Evening/Morning Ladies and Gents,

So I can't get the 2014 1 oz Silver Britannia Proof off my mind (and now Una from the 2001 is creeping in as well).  

2014Britannia.jpg.1a50505b7a425c2a2825050332f927bd.jpg

I'm willing to fork over some cabbage to pick one up for the collection (Ideally slabbed and graded) but the prices I'm seeing on eBay don't even remotely come close to jiving with the 2017 Spinks "Coins of England and the UK" Decimal Issues or the 2017 CCGB "Collectors' Coins - Decimal Issues of the UK".  Spinks has the raw 2014 Britannia Proof at £83 (BF16, Page 125) and CCGB has it at £70 (Page 146).  I did take the time to verify I wasn't looking at the Bullion pricing as well.

Is this simply a case of extreme demand outweighing supply?  But if that is indeed the case, why wouldn't that be reflected in the books?  Hasn't enough time passed between the year the coin was minted and the 2017 catalogues?  And if this is really the going rate now for these coins, is it worth dropping $600 - $1,000 when so many amazing coins have yet to come out this year (really looking forward to the 2017 Proof Britannia's)?  Any opinions or insight would be most welcomed and appreciated.

Evening/Morning Ladies and Gents,
So I can't get the 2014 1 oz Silver Britannia Proof off my mind (and now Una from the 2001 is creeping in as well).  
2014Britannia.jpg.1a50505b7a425c2a2825050332f927bd.jpg
I'm willing to fork over some cabbage to pick one up for the collection (Ideally slabbed and graded) but the prices I'm seeing on eBay don't even remotely come close to jiving with the 2017 Spinks "Coins of England and the UK" Decimal Issues or the 2017 CCGB "Collectors' Coins - Decimal Issues of the UK".  Spinks has the raw 2014 Britannia Proof at £83 (BF16, Page 125) and CCGB has it at £70 (Page 146).  I did take the time to verify I wasn't looking at the Bullion pricing as well.
Is this simply a case of extreme demand outweighing supply?  But if that is indeed the case, why wouldn't that be reflected in the books?  Hasn't enough time passed between the year the coin was minted and the 2017 catalogues?  And if this is really the going rate now for these coins, is it worth dropping $600 - $1,000 when so many amazing coins have yet to come out this year (really looking forward to the 2017 Proof Britannia's)?  Any opinions or insight would be most welcomed and appreciated.

It's all our fault. Forums and Facebook groups loved this coin so much it was elevated to a new plateau. Old school Spinks sees no reason why it's worth more than £85 and nor do I really but hey that's collecting.

Books have a long publishing timetable and they are probably a bit behind the times.

A better test is eBay sold listings for this one I think.

4 hours ago, Jester said:

I'm willing to fork over some cabbage to pick one up for the collection (Ideally slabbed and graded) but the prices I'm seeing on eBay don't even remotely come close to jiving with the 2017 Spinks "Coins of England and the UK" Decimal Issues or the 2017 CCGB "Collectors' Coins - Decimal Issues of the UK".  Spinks has the raw 2014 Britannia Proof at £83 (BF16, Page 125) and CCGB has it at £70 (Page 146).  I did take the time to verify I wasn't looking at the Bullion pricing as well

Doesn't that say a lot more about the accuracy of the books than anything? 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, shortstack68 said:

Spink and CCGB don't take prices from places such as eBay or Apmex, their pricing is from realised prices from auction houses or released Mint prices which would mean the book price would be correct, they don't do hype pricing, although if you check CCGB he has the Olympic 50p error swimmer at a high price because he had sold one at £900 I think it was

What's the value of a book with outdated pricing? 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

2 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

You're asking why buy something thats out of date, but everything goes out of date eventually, a book is a reference of previous realised prices, the prices won't be that far out of touch and you'll have it to hand for a year or 2 and costs £25, you car will cost £25K and will depreciate as soon as you get the keys by 25% 

I'd rather own the book than pay way over the odds for a coin, for a small £25 fee, it could save you hundreds everytime you open it

Well I imagine for maybe historic coins values are more constant, but for modern releases, meh. 

2 hours ago, Madstacks said:

They are gorgeous coins but IMO not worth a penny over £100 for the one oz coin and thats pushing it.

Well that's because you buy full sovereigns for like £5 a pop :P 

8 hours ago, Madstacks said:

They are gorgeous coins but IMO not worth a penny over £100 for the one oz coin and thats pushing it.

"Worth" has no meaning in coin collecting, as you know. To be pedantic, it's true worth is about £14:D

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

10 hours ago, Kman said:

Well I imagine for maybe historic coins values are more constant, but for modern releases, meh. 

Agree entirely. The book prices for modern coins are generally meaningless.

17 hours ago, Jester said:

Hasn't enough time passed between the year the coin was minted and the 2017 catalogues?

These coins didn't start to do much until about mid to late 2015 when they became popular and took off. I think supply was the problem at the time as the initial flipping period had already occurred. No doubt as supply picks up in the future, the price will come down somewhat.

15 hours ago, Kman said:

Well that's because you buy full sovereigns for like £5 a pop :P 

Haha , oh how i wish i could do that regularly! but i dont think il ever again find any:( can dream though!!

10 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

"Worth" has no meaning in coin collecting, as you know. To be pedantic, it's true worth is about £14:D

Thats very true:) The valuations placed on these coins is pretty insane though, especially when they are prone to spotting, as pretty as they are the price is in high grade Gothic florin territory - though to be fair a very different coin..I think I can guess what one will retain its value though. 

But for a collector whom money or valuation is no issue they are indeed stunning.

I still refuse to buy proofs after my 2oz lunar proof collection started spotting, I sold all my proofs..including a six coin 2014 proof brit set for £125 to someone on here. :mellow:

13 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

I still refuse to buy proofs after my 2oz lunar proof collection started spotting,  :mellow:

Really, that's a bummer, not heard of them spotting.

15 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

I sold all my proofs..including a six coin 2014 proof brit set for £125 to someone on here

I remember, missed that one:(

Archived