• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay Second Chance Offers

I have noticed recently that I have bid up and up on an item only to lose it but then get a second chance offer.

Has this been happening to you!!!

I think they are getting the price up then asking you if you want to buy, I have declined the offers as I think it is a type of scam.

Any thoughts!!!

Depends on the seller.  If they genuinely have multiple then it's quite an effective way to sell.  It means all parties are bidding against each other and you don't have to wait for another auction to sell another.

im always suspicious they have a friend bidding to drive the price as high as possible then offer to the highest genuine bidder as a 2nd chance offer.

Sometimes it can be.  If you are happy with the price that you bid I would accept the offer.  With Pay Pal and Ebay, it is more of less impossible to be scammed as a buyer these days because of their purchase protection money back guarantee.

@Morezone

Yes I agree but it is the fact that I have had to pay more for the item. I think if I not bid up so high and left it, would I still get the second chance offer for a much lower price.

@Morezone

Yes I agree but it is the fact that I have had to pay more for the item. I think if I not bid up so high and left it, would I still get the second chance offer for a much lower price.

You may or may not.  If the final selling price was less than they'd hoped for, they may relist and hope they get more on the next auction.  They may have been happy with the bid and offer a 2nd chance to quickly get rid off another.

We have no idea if there was any shill bidding going on and at what price point they would have still made a 2nd chance offer.

The way I look at auctions is to bid what I feel I am happy to pay.  If I win, great.  If I don't, ah well.  Don't let shill bidding get in the way.

Yeah I agree, 99%  of the time it's shill bidding. I don't put big bids in early on as the retards always drive it right up just to 'beat' you, better to snipe near the end, usually a few quid more than the current high bid. If I got offered 2nd chance I'd probably take it tbh as I don't have a large spread

I have noticed recently that I have bid up and up on an item only to lose it but then get a second chance offer.

Has this been happening to you!!!

I think they are getting the price up then asking you if you want to buy, I have declined the offers as I think it is a type of scam.

Any thoughts!!!

It has happened to me Keith,I was once bidding on an expensive proof and came 2nd,within10 mins the seller offered me another he just happened to have for £3 less,I declined the offer as i suspected the bidding was a scam.

Now on the other hand same thing happened with a semi bullion coin and i accepted the sellers offer, as it is plausible and likely that people have multiples of relatively common coins, myself included..

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

• Founder & Administrator

It's more than likely that the seller just had multiples of that coin.

I always accept a second chance offer as I see it as a logically thing to do. I bid at that price and have an opportunity to purchase at my chosen price even if I did not win the auction.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived