• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Thoughts on 9ct gold jewellery

Investor1989

Guys what do you think about investing in 9ct gold jewellery? Do you think it's worth investing in it? If yes, why? If not, why? I want to add jewellery to my investment portfolio, hence why i'm interested in your views on this topic. I'm asking about 9ct gold jewellery in particular because of its affordability.

Have any of you guys invested in 9ct gold jewellery?

I know that 9ct gold jewellery contains only 37.5% pure gold with the rest made up of other less valuable metals, but does the very low gold content put you off from entertaining the thought of investing in it? 

Would love to know your thoughts.

All I would do is buy it up as cheap as possible and get it melted down when I have loads of it.

You may come across something interesting that you could flip for a small gain?

2 minutes ago, rebnah said:

All I would do is buy it up as cheap as possible and get it melted down when I have loads of it.

You may come across something interesting that you could flip for a small gain?

Was actually thinking about doing exactly that. Cheers for the quick reply.

1 minute ago, shawy2510 said:

I have invested in it in the past but it got boring & time consuming looking for cheap deals. I did also get conned out of £160 on Gumtree which eats away at profits.

Sorry to hear that.

@GoldBenj how important is it to know your hallmarks when buying various carat jewellery - for example I'm guessing 9ct stuff isn't worth faking a hallmark for, but 18ct is? And I guess it gets tricky when buying foreign hallmarked stuff?

@kimchi 

To be honest I'm at the point where I just need to have a glance, if something doesn't feel right I just check it out further, some faked are genuine 9ct chain ends with a base metal chain but with close inspection you can tell. There's also a lot of heavy brass rings that are stamped 750, usually Mercedes style and similar. 

it's important to know as if you're wrong you lose money at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, GoldBenj said:

@Investor1989

If you make the right contacts you can get 9ct scrap/ jewellery for very good prices, you may even get lucky and buy under scrap. I'm surprised more people don't buy it because it is gold at the end of the day.

I think a lot of people are put off by the low gold content.

If I could get it cheaper than any other gold then I would grab it.  Bullion gold can always be had for a few % above scrap price. The lower purity would not worry me and the storage space for 9ct would not be an issue. Also selling on to the likes of HGM when you want to liquidate would be easy. More cost effective than refining the stuff I would think. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

On 02/06/2017 at 15:32, Stu said:

If I could get it cheaper than any other gold then I would grab it.  Bullion gold can always be had for a few % above scrap price. The lower purity would not worry me and the storage space for 9ct would not be an issue. Also selling on to the likes of HGM when you want to liquidate would be easy. More cost effective than refining the stuff I would think. 

Some good points. Cheers!

11 hours ago, Trumar said:

Hello Goldbenj, sorry to jump in this topic. I have a question on melting Gold, can melted 9ct Gold be turned into 24ct? Cheers trumar 

plenty of vids on youtube about refining gold

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

9ct gold is not worth the effort Most Jewellery isn't as the trader's buy it all and resell it 2nd hand through shops pawn brokers sell onto shops too they, say they refine but they don't.

Edit why anyone would buy new Jewellery I do not know 2nd hand is far better value and you can negotiate.

Archived