• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Chards your experience?

rebnah

I think if you buy from a dealer and have a worse experience then when buying from some random on eBay it makes you think twice about ordering again. 

For myself Chards will never know if I spend £500 a month or £5,000 now so the only thing they can do is take the points on here seriously and address them. They've had a few years to do so, my issue goes back that long. My first purchase. 

So if a first time buyer stops using your service due to packaging or security and goes elsewhere you have now idea how much you are losing.

I have a small company and we get amazing comments about the speed and helpfulness of our support team. 

Best to under promise and over deliver. If can't cope with 24 hour t/a change it to 48! 

Also, why not make a purchase form your competitor dealers and see how they do things? Maybe place 5 small orders and assess packaging, speed and process and then go about duplicating the service you liked best.

Take on an extra employee if necessary to get things tip top.

If you don't look after a customer someone else will! I'm not picking on Chards here I've even made videos about awful Royal Mint packaging. Worth sharing experiences with people so improvements can me made. The fact they are members of the forum says a lot so good on them for that.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

5 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

I think if you buy from a dealer and have a worse experience then when buying from some random on eBay it makes you think twice about ordering again. 

For myself Chards will never know if I spend £500 a month or £5,000 now so the only thing they can do is take the points on here seriously and address them. They've had a few years to do so, my issue goes back that long. My first purchase. 

So if a first time buyer stops using your service due to packaging or security and goes elsewhere you have now idea how much you are losing.

I have a small company and we get amazing comments about the speed and helpfulness of our support team. 

Best to under promise and over deliver. If can't cope with 24 hour t/a change it to 48! 

Also, why not make a purchase form your competitor dealers and see how they do things? Maybe place 5 small orders and assess packaging, speed and process and then go about duplicating the service you liked best.

If you don't look after a customer someone else will! I'm not picking on Chards here I've even made videos about awful Royal Mint packaging. Worth sharing experiences with people so improvements can me made. The fact they are members of the forum says a lot so good on them for that.

I totally agree and considering I've spent thousands over the last few months its their loss!

Could have at least offered my postage back for their mistake as a good will gesture? 

Shame i was going to order some larger pandas from them as Atkinsons is out of stock.

13 hours ago, rebnah said:

I find it hard that the tubes would open during postage?

Did they have the original tape on them still? If so that stuff is extremely sticky.

They must have unsealed them or made up a tube and used crap tape.

There was no tape on the Britannia tubes. The top of the tubes were loose in the Jiffy bag with most of the coins out of the tubes.

5 minutes ago, Coincollector said:

There was no tape on the Britannia tubes. The top of the tubes were loose in the Jiffy bag with most of the coins out of the tubes.

Would have sent them back for sealed replacements along with images how they arrived.

1 minute ago, rebnah said:

Would have sent them back for sealed replacements along with images how they arrived.

It was back in 2013 when i first started, and was not aware of even how the tubes should be correctly sealed with royal mint tape. All the coins were scratched. But on chards website there was a message saying the condition of the 2013 britannias could have scratches and only sold as bullion. I did phone to complain about the packaging and that more scratches would have been caused with the coins being out of there tubes. They said they advised the coins have scratches and again are sold as bullion. I accepted it at the time but new that's the last of my business they will see.

2 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the time customers take to let us know when our service is not 100%. These may be outweighed by the positive comments but these are the ones that really can make a difference to a company as they show where there are issues and where we need to improve. Without our customers there would be no business so no matter whether they are a large or a small investor, new or old, we would hope that our service is tip-top at all points of their journey with us. We will definitely be addressing the issues that have been raised.

1 minute ago, Coincollector said:

It was back in 2013 when i first started, and was not aware of even how the tubes should be correctly sealed with royal mint tape. All the coins were scratched. But on chards website there was a message saying the condition of the 2013 britannias could have scratches and only sold as bullion. I did phone to complain about the packaging and that more scratches would have been caused with the coins being out of there tubes. They said they advised the coins have scratches and again are sold as bullion. I accepted it at the time but new that's the last of my business they will see.

Bullion is bullion yes they will have imperfections but it also depends if you brought them as new tubes of bullion coins or second hand coins addrd to fill the tube?

New should have been sealed from the mint and second hand should have at least been re-taped down for delivery.

Also we must not forget that our postal service is not the best when it comes to looking after our parcels in transit.

I think every company has its good and bad points and they all can have bad days.  I've never ordered off chards but I am planning on ordering a few coins soon.  This thread definitely hasn't put me off.

I have had problems with Baird and co though.  At the time I was peeved but I would still order off them again if they had something I wanted.  Black listing a company like chards is foolish as they have more information and more choice than any other uk company. Like Lizzie said this is an opportunity to learn and to make things better for future orders/customers. 

19 hours ago, rebnah said:

Interested to see what your experience is with this company?

I paid £9 for next day delivery on a particular gold item which was still cheaper than another supplier inc the postage cost.

I also called Chards early morning with a few questions I.e shipping, packaging etc as I've never ordered from them before.

I was told if I place my order before 1pm I would get my item by 1pm the next day?

I ordered well before the shut off time but got nothing today other than an email stating my item had only just been despatched?

So I gave then a call and they never gave a dam!

My personal experience with them as a first time buyer is rubbish So sod them, I said I will not place anymore orders with them now!

So Rebnah, let me get this straight.  They are cheaper than elsewhere and the product is good it's just that you're miffed about it not arriving next day?

Did you shout at them on the phone or something?  I'm actually shocked to hear your accusation that they don't give a "dam" given my own personal experiences with them.  For your interest I rate them a good 9/10.  I've always received well wrapped products from them, next day as it happens, and I've had long phone calls to them for advice with which they were always very forthcoming.  Their website, 24carat, is a veritable mine of useful information on silver and they alerted me to a product last year that has done very well indeed.  They were recently still selling the last of this product in limited qty per customer for way less than their European competitors who have ramped it's price right up.  This is quite astonishing to me given the unfair VAT that they're forced to charge but even like that they really do manage to represent good honest value sometimes.  Our experiences really sound like different worlds!

BTW, I saw your pic on the "today I received" thread and the coin does look lovely.  Personally, this really doesn't sound like a "rubbish" experience to me as you describe it, just one that could perhaps be a little disappointing for it not arriving in a hurry.  In this day and age of instant gratification it's easy to lose sight of what's important.  If I was to volunteer a review about a company I'd used once, a company that had ultimately supplied me a product in excellent condition and cheaper than elsewhere in what can only have ended up being exactly the same time scale as anywhere else could have then I think I'd be careful about slagging them off publically.  Not for fear that it would damage their reputation and any repercussions from that.  No, more for fear of it damaging mine.  I would certainly phrase it a little differently than "rubbish" and "sod them".  In fact, I think I would have stuck simply to something like, "the coin is lovely and I'm very happy with it but they need to do a little work on delivery commitments.".  Now that sounds far less brattish doesn't it.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

The issue is before people started piping in was this,

I was told that if I order before 1pm that I would 100% receive it the next day by 1pm

Yes I'm happy with the price

Yes I'm happy with the item

Im not happy for being told incorrect information when I asked specific questions to which I wanted specific factual answers.

No one here knows why it had to be a next day delivery for me?

I asked the questions because I found a good price but wanted to make sure how it would be delivered and would it arrive in the specified time.

This was because I was going to order from my usual company who I do know 100% I would have got it when I NEEDED it.

But I thought I would try another company as it was a better price.

Then when I called them to find out what had happened I just got a rude non caring response.

So two issues 

Not arriving in the said time

Non caring customer service 

After reading all the responses I can see this all got a tad out of hand.

I am more than willing to give Chards another chance in the near future.

I will also like to apologise to Chards and other members if my posts came across a little harsh.

I will edit my posts to more forum friendly words.

24 minutes ago, Mcgrimes said:

Been going a long time, must be doing something right

I've been to their shop several times. Nice people, never been other than very helpful, even when I ended up just looking and not buying anything.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

29 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've been to their shop several times. Nice people, never been other than very helpful, even when I ended up just looking and not buying anything.

What do they have on display ? worth a visit?

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

26 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

Lots of gold coins in the glass display counters. Happy to pop back to the vaults to fetch collectable coins for you to look at.

Possible not so much good stock these days though, must have sold most of it and not had new stock come in. I would imagine it would be pretty fluid.

6 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Lots of gold coins in the glass display counters. Happy to pop back to the vaults to fetch collectable coins for you to look at.

Possible not so much good stock these days though, must have sold most of it and not had new stock come in. I would imagine it would be pretty fluid.

taxfreegold still have loads of interesting coins but not sure are they in stock and some of the price aren't correct, cant be 98 pound for 11 gram of gold nowadays :o , but the new web doesn't show/ display what taxfreegold has , I think once they have sorted out the web sites it is a very good place to buy coins from

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

17 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

I live local and visited a few times. Not a huge choice on display approx 6/7 glass cabinets with some bullion coins silver and gold plus sets of sovereigns and commemorative coins.

Staff very friendly on the phone and in person. Happy to help and answer questions. Certainly didn't feel under pressure to buy and as a newbie felt comfortable discussing things

In the past I have called ahead and they have prepared several items for my visit

So far so good from me

Never had any problems with them. As others have already stated, they have been around for a while now, so there must be doing something right.

I tend to buy my Sovereigns from them as they seem to know a thing or two about those. There videos on YouTube and their free guides are both very informative.

There is still something not quite right with the new website though, hard to pinpoint the problem, just not that easy to navigate. It is still not clear if all the stock from the older versions (taxfreegold, etc.) has been transitioned. Things are not always presented in an intuitive way.

Anyway, as with Atkinsons, Chards is a reputable and trustworthy company.

I have purchased several gold proof coins from Chards over a period of time and have always been very impressed with the quality and service. Prices are generally very competitive and they are happy for you to visit the shop and check coins in person prior to purchase.

They used to have a few problems knowing exactly what stock they actually had for sale, but that seems to be improving. 

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 15:03, rebnah said:

I will also like to apologise to Chards and other members if my posts came across a little harsh.

Fair play to you mate.  Not easy to admit when you posted something you regret so respect to you for saying that.  I'm guessing you were just a bit frustrated when they didn't make good on their next day delivery promise which I can totally understand.  It's probably a case of it being better to have slept on it before posting cause ultimately you're happy with the coin and the price so nuff said.

Regarding their websites, they do need to do a bit of work on them linking all their articles correctly.  They've got such a huge history on their sites of really great info some of which seems to have been lost recently.  It's such a shame because I really like that about them.  That's why I have bought from them in the past and still do.  I remember reading an excellent blog about the new 999 silver Britannia's and it was quite funny.  It now comes up 404 when you click on it but from memory they said they wanted to assure investors that the quality of the new coin was not that great and that they had not been "rolling the coins around the stock room" or words to that effect. lol  It made me chuckle but is exactly the type of honesty I like in a bullion dealer.  It was in reference to the quality of the Brits that were made between the 999 introduction in 2013 and before the woodchip field was introduced.  Lots of damage and scratching on the fields apparently but I never bought one to find out.  All good info and I hope that they will bring it all back together on their new site successfully.  They are certainly a long time trusted dealer and although they messed up with delivery in your case they remain an excellent and very fairly priced option in the UK in my opinion.

cheers

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

I can't recall any major problems but I have had delays in receiving items from them before but it was no big deal.

I don't think I've had any problems worth complaining about or that have tested their customer service. They can be a little expensive at times but I have also seen the odd deal as well.

I would rate them above Bairds who I recently bought and paid for US gold coins from only to later receive an email informing me someone else had put a deposit down a few minutes before me.  This was followed by an email the next morning to say the coins had been advertised at a higher grade than they actually where and asking if I wanted to go ahead with my transaction at a reduced price. I said I would but was a little confused given they were supposed to be sold to someone else.

Bairds then replied the original buyer had agreed to take them at a lower price so they wasted my time again.  Why they couldn't had asked this other buyer if they still wanted them and then emailed me only if they had turned down the offer I don't know.

At least when Atkinsons have sold me something that they no longer have they have offered me a small reduction in price if I take another coin instead.

3 hours ago, Murph said:

I would rate them above Bairds who I recently bought and paid for US gold coins from only to later receive an email informing me someone else had put a deposit down a few minutes before me.  This was followed by an email the next morning to say the coins had been advertised at a higher grade than they actually where and asking if I wanted to go ahead with my transaction at a reduced price. I said I would but was a little confused given they were supposed to be sold to someone else.

Bairds then replied the original buyer had agreed to take them at a lower price so they wasted my time again.  Why they couldn't had asked this other buyer if they still wanted them and then emailed me only if they had turned down the offer I don't know.

Now that is reprehensible behaviour that warrants serious complaint, never using them again and posting on this forum.:angry:

Archived