• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How to Find out a share holding in a company ?

Bit of a wierd one this , today my Mrs recieved a letter from the bank of Ireland saying the have written to her  about her stock holding , the letter looks genuine and it says she doesn't have to do anything and the address to contact for any queries is the actual bank of Ireland address .

A copy of the actual letter can be found here http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail/BKIR/13225781.html

So it certainly looks genuine but my Mrs doesn't know anything about her being a shareholder ?

Her family was Irish so there is a possibility she was bequeathed them somewhere down the line but this is the first she has heard of them .

How do you go about finding out if you do actually own shares in a company ? Obviously don't want to pay a lot of money to find out as bank of Ireland shares are pretty worthless unless you own thousands of them. Any advice would be welcome

Bank of Ireland are behind a few UK Post Office products (credit cards & financial services) -

Credit card,Mortgage, savings or borrowings with post office ever ?

It was also one of the big Irish banks that took a mega smack of 90% odd loss in share price in 2008-2009 and involved state bail outs,. AIB was another one.  

So it may relate to that possibly ? is the Irish government selling off its share of the bank maybe ? like our trusty Tories are doing with Lloyds 

Parents and grandparents both died without wills as far as I know and also they all died long before we moved to this address . From what I can figure out it's the bank reorganising the shares , for each 7 of your old shares you would get one new share .I know nothing about shares it's not something I've looked into

She says she's had No dealings with the post office financial side that she can remember ,  

It's just intriguing , it could be 12p ( one share) or it could be a couple of hundred quid . Who knows ? It certainly isn't going to be a large amount as no-one in her family that she knows of had a pot to piss in . It's just strange that this letter has come out of blue and haver never had any notifications from them before so where would they even got her address ?

4 hours ago, daz said:

Bit of a wierd one this , today my Mrs recieved a letter from the bank of Ireland saying the have written to her  about her stock holding , the letter looks genuine and it says she doesn't have to do anything and the address to contact for any queries is the actual bank of Ireland address .

A copy of the actual letter can be found here http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail/BKIR/13225781.html

So it certainly looks genuine but my Mrs doesn't know anything about her being a shareholder ?

Her family was Irish so there is a possibility she was bequeathed them somewhere down the line but this is the first she has heard of them .

How do you go about finding out if you do actually own shares in a company ? Obviously don't want to pay a lot of money to find out as bank of Ireland shares are pretty worthless unless you own thousands of them. Any advice would be welcome

hi daz, normally when you want info on company shares you hold you contact what's called its  share registrar, which I believe is this link

https://www-uk.computershare.com/Investor/contactus/default.asp?cc=IE

The Registrar. Computershare Investor Services (Ireland) Limited Heron House Corrig Road Sandyford Industrial Estate DUBLIN 18. Ireland. Map ... 239353 and is authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland

or

try this link

https://aib.ie/investorrelations/shareholder-information/personal-shareholderinformation

and check your shareholding at bottom of page link

hope helps dean.m

Archived