• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 "30th Anniversary Proof"

BackyardBullion

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/b/br17agn?promocode=E1807A&__ja=tsid:38667|kw:E1807A&utm_campaign=BR17AGN&utm_medium=email&utm_source=HouseList

10000 mintage

What are peoples thoughts on these? 

I am a little disappointed they have taken the wonderful radial line design out and it looks just shiny proof. Opportunity lost here. 

To me this seems like a shiny version of a plain old britannia...in a box...at 3 times the price...

Also, wouldn't it be more fitting to have the 30th Anniversary coin in gold as that is what the 30th is for...the 20th is for the silver version if I am not mistaken?!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

In July there will be the proper proof design. This is the BU version of the regular bullion coin. There should be something special this year I hope.

This isn't a specific 30th  anniversary design it is just another plain fields coin, which I bought about 3 months ago the cert makes no mention of 30th anniversary.

The RM is just playing on words & is milking the coin up, I only bought it to keep my run going. See below from RM website specifically "Coin comes at a special time" LOL it is exactly the same as the 2015 & 2016 plain fields coins other than date of 2017

This year the annual release of The Britannia One Ounce Silver Brilliant Uncirculated Coin comes at a special time, as Philip Nathan’s modern masterpiece celebrates its 30th anniversary. His design appeared on the very first Britannia coins issued in 1987, chosen for its contemporary approach to tradition.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

4 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/b/br17agn?promocode=E1807A&__ja=tsid:38667|kw:E1807A&utm_campaign=BR17AGN&utm_medium=email&utm_source=HouseList

10000 mintage

I am a little disappointed they have taken the wonderful radial line design out and it looks just shiny proof. Opportunity lost here. 

To me this seems like a shiny version of a plain old britannia...in a box...at 3 times the price...

Also, wouldn't it be more fitting to have the 30th Anniversary coin in gold as that is what the 30th is for...the 20th is for the silver version if I am not mistaken?!

The Royal Mint are very confusing. How many silver bullion coins can they release in one year? There's the standard radial sunshine bullion 1oz coin. Then the same coin with a trident mark (20th anniversary) then you have this 2017 coin yet again with privy marks. Now you have a BU coin that means brilliant circulated this time not BU for bullion that has a plain mirror field. So a perfect ms70 bullion 2017 radial sunshine silver Britannia is a BU BU lol???

8 minutes ago, Kman said:

Reverse proof and Piedfort Britannia next :P 

Now there's a thought I'd buy a Piedfort Britannia :)

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

1 minute ago, Kman said:

Piedfort Britannia next :P 

Let's have a proof Piedfort using a worn out die and call it enhanced finish or even better brilliant uncirculated again! BU can just about mean anything. They did this with the sovereign. There's a YouTube video to show you the difference between BU, BU, and proof coins. 

1 minute ago, SilverStar said:

Let's have a proof Piedfort using a worn out die and call it enhanced finish or even better brilliant uncirculated again! BU can just about mean anything. They did this with the sovereign. There's a YouTube video to show you the difference between BU, BU, and proof coins. 

Antiqued piedfort :D

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

5 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

10000 mintage

So true 100% 

20 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

It's how all the bullions would look if they hadn't messed around with the old design and finish.

Yes.  I seem to remember something about them having to change the design of the field for the recent '15 and '16  "woodchip" field because '13 and '14 (new 999 instead of 965) blank fields were coming out so badly scratched.  I haven't personally seen any but I read that the fields were often scratched up and there were lots and lots of complaints.  Chards were selling them with a disclaimer that they recommended you buy something else if you were at all worried about quality.  I wonder if this special 30 years(not 20?) boxed standard original design BU blank fields will suffer the same scratching problems or if they have finally got that sorted out.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

They can't have sorted it out as it is inherent in the nature of 999 silver. Personally I don't see why they couldn't have carried on producing bullion coins to the old design in 999 and encasing them in plastic like they used to do with most years pre-2013.
Obviously too much trouble for the profit obsessed RM these days.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived