• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Angela Pistrucci Sovereign

SilverStar

I've just seen an interesting coin soon to be released at The London Mint Office. Angela Pistrucci, the great-great-great grandniece of Benedetto Pistrucci has been commissioned to recreate the classic Saint George?and the Dragon ? design 200 years on from the original.  I rather like her new version of the reverse and wondered what your thoughts were? Not sure of the mint used to produce this coin, Pobjoy?

They are releasing it as a full and half Gibraltar proof sovereign with mintages of 4,999. Sadly there seems to be a huge premium on these coins as the full sovereign is being retailed at £795 and the half sovereign is going out at £396. Maybe I'll wait to see how they do and pick one up hopefully cheaper on the secondary market. I do really like the concept of a member of the Pistrucci family redesigning the sovereign. Sorry I couldn't get a picture up as my iPad is not playing ball. 

2017-sovereign200-jpg.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

3 hours ago, Kman said:

Something quite feminine about the horse and rider 

The dragons legs are.. umm, interesting 

It's a woman with an A cup.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Wow, she has made old queenie a real old fashioned either Roman, Jewish or Fagin type nose.....yikes ! :o and the dragon has a chicken leg ready for grilling and the front legs are simply disturbing. Don't like it at all. This is the original idea of "being famous for nothing" so prevalent in the media these days. I could write an essay on what I find dreadful about this design. Just my opinion and for the price they are asking, simply breathtakingly poor.

10 minutes ago, Pampfan said:

Is she holding the missing 100 kilo gold coin stolen just recently?

Make her your girlfriend can hang your collection ( or or neck ):P

you don't have to put your bars in the safe

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

Just coz she's got bigger muscles than you guys no need to b bitchy [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] 

Well......in the book I bought yesterday my body will look like than in only 12 weeks so its really easy ;) haha

This has caused me to take a closer look at the George on the Royal Mint sovereign.

Other than boots, helmet and batman cape, he is naked. The George on the original is a significantly larger muscular character.

The figure on the London Mint Office version is fully clothed. This is a woman with an A cup. The contour of the legs is that of a woman. The hips are broader. They have used a woman as the figure and certainly not a body builder version. 

This is Georgina and the Dragon. 

This is wrong b/c this is George and the Dragon. Goodness knows if this is a subliminal part of the depraved gender agenda aimed at messing with kids' mind but it is wrong and deliberate. This artist knows what she has done, this is not a mistake.

_L_SVQ17_02.jpg

55 minutes ago, sixgun said:

This has caused me to take a closer look at the George on the Royal Mint sovereign.

Other than boots, helmet and batman cape, he is naked. The George on the original is a significantly larger muscular character.

The figure on the London Mint Office version is fully clothed. This is a woman with an A cup. The contour of the legs is that of a woman. The hips are broader. They have used a woman as the figure and certainly not a body builder version. 

This is Georgina and the Dragon. 

This is wrong b/c this is George and the Dragon. Goodness knows if this is a subliminal part of the depraved gender agenda aimed at messing with kids' mind but it is wrong and deliberate. This artist knows what she has done, this is not a mistake.

Agree with all that but I don't like it, full stop. It just isn't right. The dragon's OK and wouldn't look out of place on a modern official RM version of the proof sovereign. However, for whatever reason, the "George and horse" look awful, a typical Pobjoy-esc modern coin look about it.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

https://www.londonmintoffice.org/gold-coins/sovereigns/george-and-dragon-sovereign

Says here the issuing authority is Gibraltar. From my investigation, Gibraltar mints its own coins but in this case it was struck by the Tower Mint.

http://www.gibraltarolivepress.com/2017/02/10/new-gibraltar-sovereign-coin-launched-berlins-world-money-fair/

http://www.towermint.co.uk/

I don't know anything about this mint but i guess it is not premier league. The coin is massively overpriced and will not be one i would collect.

18 hours ago, Kman said:

Something quite feminine about the horse and rider 

The dragons legs are.. umm, interesting 

I agree that it is a more feminine image but that kind of fits well as a female Pistrucci has created this new image.

2 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Agree with all that but I don't like it, full stop. It just isn't right. The dragon's OK and wouldn't look out of place on a modern official RM version of the proof sovereign. However, for whatever reason, the "George and horse" look awful, a typical Pobjoy-esc modern coin look about it.

How did you feel about the 2005 & 2012 designs? I rather like a change now and again. Good to have a shield-back reappear in 2002. The 1989 rose sovereign is very beautiful. I know what you mean about other producers like The Pobjoy or Tower mint. Some of the designs are awful and the mirror fields on their proofs are nothing like the Royal Mint's. I am quite intrigued by by this coin though. It's good to hear different opinions from more seasoned collectors. Can't beat the original Pistrucci! Great to see the broken spear back in St.George's hand for the anniversary this year (poor dragon ?).

9 hours ago, SilverStar said:

How did you feel about the 2005 & 2012 designs? I rather like a change now and again. Good to have a shield-back reappear in 2002. The 1989 rose sovereign is very beautiful. I know what you mean about other producers like The Pobjoy or Tower mint. Some of the designs are awful and the mirror fields on their proofs are nothing like the Royal Mint's. I am quite intrigued by by this coin though. It's good to hear different opinions from more seasoned collectors. Can't beat the original Pistrucci! Great to see the broken spear back in St.George's hand for the anniversary this year (poor dragon ?).

I too like a change occasionally and the 05/12 were a refreshing sojurn. TBH I'm not that struck on Pistrucci's original G&D for the 1817 but much prefer his later version of 1820 that has been kept in service virtually unchanged ever since.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 3 weeks later...

The horse looks a bit flat as well.  The dragons tail starts of smooth then looks to get fatter and ribbed which seems strange to me.  The dragons wings look like they were made for a fairy and stuck on as an afterthought.

• 3 years later...

/all I have to say to the critiques on the coin - sovereign 2017 re design on st George and the dragon - the mint did a poor job of minting my designs. Like my Gr. Gr. Gr uncle who also had issues with the mint and his work - so do I.  If you look at the drawing in comparison to the minted coin you will see the differences. Today’s technological advances flatten the relief and do little to enhance designs. Mints have favoured technology over the detail craftsmanship of a master sculptor. Very few mints today use traditional methods unfortunately. Only the Italian mint has firmly stayed true to the traditional methods and the quality of their coinage is clear to the discerning eye. Hence the reason the Italians win most if not all competitions with their exquisite workmanship. As a coin designer it is quite disheartening that technology has taken the beautiful and exquisite 3 dimensional qualities that only a master designer/ engraver can achieve with time tested traditional techniques.

Cheers Angela Pistrucci

Archived