• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 Netherlands Lion Dollar 1 oz. Silver Proof Coin

HyHy

FYI friends, these coins are already spotting. I've got an email out to NY Coin & Bullion asking how we're going to rectify the issue. Others I've spoken with that have the coin in hand have also found spots. Caveat emptor.

59287e6249160_2017Lion.thumb.jpg.6bb86a6c39ad2ce14b09a12ba608b2c9.jpg.454088d98fb2956dbb6a47d7024d7279.jpg

FYI friends, these coins are already spotting. I've got an email out to NY Coin & Bullion asking how we're going to rectify the issue. Others I've spoken with that have the coin in hand have also found spots. Caveat emptor.
59287e6249160_2017Lion.thumb.jpg.6bb86a6c39ad2ce14b09a12ba608b2c9.jpg.454088d98fb2956dbb6a47d7024d7279.jpg

I love the coin and well spotted! )) spotting seems to be with us for a while and does make a compelling case for avoiding Silver but I do still like some Silver unfortunately.

In this case NGC make no warranty that coins won't spot.

So opinion time...would you all hold on to this given that spotting seems to be a somewhat common issue with Silver?  I really do like the coin and in all fairness, you can't even see the spot if it's not in just the right light.  I guess my concern is, if this tiny spot is already popping up on the newly minted 2017 coin, what might it look like in 5 yrs? Would I even be able to sell it in PF70 condition (and the better question is, would anyone buy it with the premium a typical MS/PF70 carries)?  I'd hate to think that spotting is the new norm we all have to just get used to and buying these proof coins becomes a financial Russian Roulette.

Per ngc and pcgs - if the coin has any spot on it - it cannot be and will never reach a 70 grade again, as a 70 means no flaws under 5x magnification.

So the question really becomes - what can you get for it when it is time to sell? 

I checked my coin and it is spotted like a cheetah but only under the right angle and lighting. Looks almost like someone sneezed on the coin. ?

This will be the last silver coin I buy graded - it is such a shame that there are problems like this. I really think it could be the manufacturer of the blanks - I will do some research to see who is producing the 1 ounce blanks for these mints. I remember reading somewhere that the Perth mint produces blanks for all the other mints - could be a situation where they are selling their rejects to the other mints and keeping the good ones for themselves. This could explain why their products spot significantly less than the others.

Damn you milk spots! ??

1 minute ago, shortstack68 said:

You should ask yourself the same question, would you buy this coin if someone else was selling it milked, then you'll have your answer

LOL, fair enough...going back it is!

Good news is I had no problems getting the coin back to NYCB and received a prompt refund. So if you do see spots pop up you shouldn't have a problem getting your money back.

6 hours ago, Jester said:

Good news is I had no problems getting the coin back to NYCB and received a prompt refund. So if you do see spots pop up you shouldn't have a problem getting your money back.

Not many dealers will do that nowadays they will blame whatever and refuse to take a hit 

so that dealer must be decent 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now the restrike coins are coming into the market.  1oz silver bullion, with a maximum mintage of 25,000.  Price is at USD23.  The mintage amount is same as Perth Mint swan 2017, but again as pointed out here, this Dutch Lion is not a "legal tender".   Hope the restrike bullion has no spotting issue!

Archived