• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 Netherlands Lion Dollar 1 oz. Silver Proof Coin

HyHy

What do you guys think about this new annual series from the Royal Dutch Mint?

Specs:

Finish: Proof
Purity: .9999
Weight in Ounces: 1 oz
Grade: GEM Proof

Denomination: 1
Currency: Dollar
Dimensions: 38.7 mm
Mintage: 5,000

Netherlands-Lion-Daalder-2017-silver-r.png

Netherlands-Lion-Daalder-2017-silver-o.png

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

Love the design.. it's sold out at the mint with 5,000 mintage. I ordered 2. The piedfort may be worth a look with a mintage of 200.

10 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Nice oldie world design, do you know the original coin it is celebrating?

It's to commemorate a trade coin widely used in the 16th century. More information regarding the mintages and history in the link below.

http://news.coinupdate.com/the-netherlands-lion-daalder-reborn-in-new-gold-and-silver-bullion-coins/ 

1 hour ago, Numistacker said:

Love the design.. it's sold out at the mint with 5,000 mintage. I ordered 2. The piedfort may be worth a look with a mintage of 200.

Was looking at the piedfort as well but it comes with such a high premium 250 euros compared to 60 euros for the normal proof ones... For the graded ones, people are asking for around $350 for the PF70s on eBay.... Probably you would be interested with the gold one @Numistacker with only 100 minted or even the piedfort version with only 10 samples XD

I did not buy this item, because it is just a medal not a legal tender coin. Also it's not a serie, just one issue(gold and silver). I do not be leave this will be a popular item for collectors within the Netherlands, not many people here in the Netherlands collect medals from the Royal Dutch mint. I think the 2017 200 year anniversary gold ducat will be a much more interesting item, as its still a legal tender coin!! 

I did not buy this item, because it is just a medal not a legal tender coin. Also it's not a serie, just one issue(gold and silver). I do not be leave this will be a popular item for collectors within the Netherlands, not many people here in the Netherlands collect medals from the Royal Dutch mint. I think the 2017 200 year anniversary gold ducat will be a much more interesting item, as its still a legal tender coin!! 

If nobody is collecting them why is the mint sold out of every version?

The reason the sold out is that the have a great marketing department, and I think most of them went to buyers outside the Netherlands who taught it was a legal tender coin. On the Dutch coin forum nobody was really keen on this medal, and I did not here from anybody who bought it. I'm happy for the Dutch Mint that the did sell all of them, because the did have a lot of problems the last few years. Mintage numbers for most coins went down a lot, because the did get to expensive(especially the gold €10 coins). Most of those coins you can buy at local actions for 50% of the retail price only two years later, mainly because the designs are crap.

The design of this medal is ok, but I rader buy an 400 year old original lion dollar!!     

16 minutes ago, sgcoins said:

The reason the sold out is that the have a great marketing department, and I think most of them went to buyers outside the Netherlands who taught it was a legal tender coin. On the Dutch coin forum nobody was really keen on this medal, and I did not here from anybody who bought it. I'm happy for the Dutch Mint that the did sell all of them, because the did have a lot of problems the last few years. Mintage numbers for most coins went down a lot, because the did get to expensive(especially the gold €10 coins). Most of those coins you can buy at local actions for 50% of the retail price only two years later, mainly because the designs are crap.

The design of this medal is ok, but I rader buy an 400 year old original lion dollar!!     

In my opinion whether legal tender or not doesn't really meant that much nowdays as you can see from the chinese panda medals. You can't make any judgement solely based on how the medal fare in the domestic market (ie. Netherlands). Most of the time the international market is where the money is and as you mentioned most of the buyers are international buyers which shows that demand is strong outside the Netherlands which is somehow similar to the silver Krugerrands. Regarding how the Dutch Mint does in the past few years, I don't think we should judge this coin solely based on that. For example, alot of the people thinks that 80% of Royal Mint production and design are crap in the past few years but guess what the 2017 Proof Sovereign together with the Queen's Beast series still shows that with a good design there will always be demand.

1 hour ago, sgcoins said:

I think the gold ducat proof is very nice and hopefully a winner. I have a pair on order. I've also got the silver lion dollars on order.

At 59 Euro I don't think you can go wrong.  It does look like the majority of sales for the lion dollar are outside of the Netherlands. 

I found a site where they have these already slabbed PF70 with a nice bulk submission only label from NGC at a reasonable price especially when considering what some are asking for on eBay (see below).  Would you all be in for this at $150?  A wise man with a red Italian sports car as his avatar once advised, not everything that comes out at a low mintage is a guaranteed winner.  Just not sure about this one.

https://newyorkcoinandbullion.com/2017-lion-dollar-first-day-of-issue-ngc-pf-70-ultra-cameo.html 

Lion.thumb.jpg.29dbb59cfef088d7ef07aba469805824.jpg

1 hour ago, Pampfan said:

I noticed that but then you're right back at $80 for the raw coin, $20 or so for grading now you're at $100.  If it comes back PF69 you're kind of in limbo from a value and desirability perspective (to potential buyers if you choose to sell) so is it worth it to just spend $50 more and get the spiffy label and the guaranteed PF70? Or is this one a pass all together?

Yeah but even MCM ran out of the ungraded ones showing strong demand on this coin. Probably is justifiable

On 5/16/2017 at 19:48, Jester said:

I found a site where they have these already slabbed PF70 with a nice bulk submission only label from NGC at a reasonable price especially when considering what some are asking for on eBay (see below).  Would you all be in for this at $150?  A wise man with a red Italian sports car as his avatar once advised, not everything that comes out at a low mintage is a guaranteed winner.  Just not sure about this one.

https://newyorkcoinandbullion.com/2017-lion-dollar-first-day-of-issue-ngc-pf-70-ultra-cameo.html 

NYCoinandBullion is now all sold out of these - glad I was able to pick one up while still available - Big shout out to @Jester

I called MCM and they are coming out with the slabbed version this week as well. Tried to order from New York Coin & Bullion but unfortunately they don't ship it to the UK.... Not sure what to do now...

Love the design, but it does seem like an attempt to stir up interest in the US rather than anywhere else for this coin. First off, the labeling even touts it as "America's First Dollar". Clearly pandering. 

Does anyone have the history on the original coin? I've see the Spanish 8 Reales Silver coin discussed as North America's "First Dollar" or America's "First Silver Dollar". I realize an 8 Reales is not the same as a dollar (and the words Thaler or Daalder are where we derive our word Dollar from), but were we trading that much with the Netherlands over Spain or England as a colony to make this the first "dollar" the US used?

Just curious!

I understand the original was a debased 75% silver coin that the Europeans use for trade because they did not want to bring too many of the eight escudos coins into the states.

To be honest i was looking at buying the Ducat until i saw the price premium it is very high and the selling hook is it is only available for a limited time May. This is a shame as i have quite a few Ducats not retrikes.    

[mention=3391]Jester[/mention]

This buyer still has 4 remaining! On eBay of course...

4 more remain! Views are 4-6 per hour... The next closest in price is $50 more...

4 more remain! Views are 4-6 per hour... The next closest in price is $50 more...

Which buyer you meant?

Archived