• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Been Cleaned?

KevjustKev

If I had done this cleaning and wanted to hide the fact i would handle it to get the smooth texture back on a coin like this where it has worn if it has been cleaned it would be a little rough and dull where it has not been touched I can't hide that bit. Just my thoughts, don't judge by me I'm a novice

You will never know.
If you use an ultrasonic bath with a bit of detergent you can make a grubby looking coin clean leaving it unmarked.
By cleaning I assume you mean aggressively by using polishing cloths or similar that can leave microscopic rub lines ?

3 hours ago, Pete said:

You will never know.
If you use an ultrasonic bath with a bit of detergent you can make a grubby looking coin clean leaving it unmarked.
By cleaning I assume you mean aggressively by using polishing cloths or similar that can leave microscopic rub lines ?

That is indeed what I mean.

4 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

what makes you ask, any suspicious aspects about this coin or are you suspicious of all your coins?

It's only the second gold coin I have brought and the first second hand, I haven't been done wrong, as yet, by the shop that sold it to me. However being new to gold it looks too nice for a coin that is over 100 years old, if you know what I mean.

As most think it hasn't been cleaned do any think it would be worth grading?

4 hours ago, tallthinkev said:

It's only the second gold coin I have brought and the first second hand, I haven't been done wrong, as yet, by the shop that sold it to me. However being new to gold it looks too nice for a coin that is over 100 years old, if you know what I mean.

As most think it hasn't been cleaned do any think it would be worth grading?

I can't see any sign of cleaning from those pictures but you wouldn't really expect to with George V sovs, there are plenty around in top condition, There is some wear evident and these need to be nigh on perfect to make grading worthwhile.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

41 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I can't see any sign of cleaning from those pictures but you wouldn't really expect to with George V sovs, there are plenty around in top condition, There is some wear evident and these need to be nigh on perfect to make grading worthwhile.

It's a half Sov.

When I started the rule I was told was to always leave a coin for the next owner to clean if he wishes. I have to admit as I am not a seller of what I accumulate all of mine that would benefit get a sit in a sonic bath with a dash of fairy liquid. Have to say I  picked up a very grubby one recently that was proudly described as never cleaned So original was this that it was overweight and took a good soak  before I was   happy with it.

Archived