• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 Piedfort sovereign out soon

12 minutes ago, Silverstackeruk said:

They have to announce it first in a advert to see if anyone objects?

Will jump all over these

It's less of an opportunity to object, but they have to declare the introduction of any new 'legal tender'.

"for the reverse the image of St George armed, sitting on horseback, attacking the dragon with a broken spear surrounded by the inscription “HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE ·”. The coin shall have a grained edge.’"

So it's the 1817/2017proof  design 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

They can ram it right up their rear article for all I'm concerned, what will we get next, the super exclusive £10 sovereign? RM at their best. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

They can ram it right up their rear article for all I'm concerned, what will we get next, the super exclusive £10 sovereign? RM at their best. 

I actually don't mind it

Something a bit different

The first Piedfort sovereign

I will get one at least. 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

It will be popular but secondary-market sales will struggle.  With the same level of markup, these will be on ebay for around £1300/1400 - that's a months wages for a lot of people; the affordability diminishes very quickly after £750 or so.

58 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

Applying some logic if this is priced around £880 (?) and the standard sov is selling on ebay for £700 ish it's hard to see how these can go too wrong.

I was thinking it will just be a bullion coin? so priced at around its gold content 

5 minutes ago, Pampfan said:

What is the difference between a proof strike and the piedfort strike?

Piedfort just means double as thick as usual 

So it will be a normal sovereign diameter just chunky thickness 

Doesn't make sense to me to release all the proof versions of the sovereign together then months later put a different one out

I just automatically assumed it would be bullion but all you guys are saying proof hmm

1 hour ago, Clens92 said:

It will be popular but secondary-market sales will struggle.  With the same level of markup, these will be on ebay for around £1300/1400 - that's a months wages for a lot of people; the affordability diminishes very quickly after £750 or so.

breakfast 1 piece of value brand bread....... lunch two pieces ..... dinner three pieces , sleep at 7pm to save energy ...... no bad habits

SORTED!

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

Piedfort doesn't necessarily need to be a proof but the RM tend to strike them as such.

Always thought they're a waste of time myself; if you're going to double the amount of metal then why not increase the diameter as well?

Oh, they already have the double sovereign!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

The RM are going full bore. What are the odds on them doing a silver sovereign in the future ? If it purely about making new products at maximum profit, I would say it would be obvious but we shall see.

28 minutes ago, Oldun said:

The RM are going full bore. What are the odds on them doing a silver sovereign in the future ? If it purely about making new products at maximum profit, I would say it would be obvious but we shall see.

20 for 20 2013 :P

It goes against the tradition of the sovereign and is just for the Royal Mint to get more sales. A traditionalist would hate it but who's going to run the risk of not buying one? All that potential hefty profit if they only ever do it once.

With all these new coins the Royal Mint have in the pipeline I think my kitchen renovation I have planned can wait a while longer :D

20 hours ago, Kman said:

"for the reverse the image of St George armed, sitting on horseback, attacking the dragon with a broken spear surrounded by the inscription “HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE ·”. The coin shall have a grained edge.’"

So it's the 1817/2017proof  design 

Yes looks like it'll be the 1817 G&D design, but no mention of the garter. I think it would have to be specified in this announcement if it were being used.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived