• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mail Proof of Value?

KDave

For private customers they should pay market value but you will probably still require a receipt.

If you sold a pair of Jeans for £15 but you had a receipt for £50, they'd most likely pay out the £50 if you made a claim for £50 and insured for £50.

If you sold a sovereign for £250 but had a receipt dating back a while for £150, they'd probably pay current market value.  But, if you didn't have a receipt of any sort, it could be a battle.

If the sales are through eBay and Amazon, they should pay out on what you sold it for if insured to that amount and I believe they still pay out if you don't have a receipt since you have a receipt/proof for the sale.

It's just complicated for sales outside of these channels as they want proof that it's worth what you say it's worth and that it is what it you say it is and at that value.  If a claim is unsuccessful, then you can go to the Postal Redress Service https://www.cedr.com/postrs/

13 hours ago, morezone said:

If you sold a sovereign for £250 but had a receipt dating back a while for £150, they'd probably pay current market value.  But, if you didn't have a receipt of any sort, it could be a battle.

That's one advantage of doing a lot of buying and selling; you always have plenty of receipts.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2017 at 23:02, sovereignsteve said:

But they are looking at it in a simplistic way with everyday consumer items from the viewpoint of manufacturer, retailer and customer. It is fair enough for the manufacturer and retailer but from the customer's perspective, debatable.
The one example they give is for something that is never going to be worth more than the customer paid. It is a consumer item. The RM insist that you use SD for items of value including antiques, collectable, coins and bullion. The value of all these things can and will rise (or fall) with time. The specific question needs to be asked as to how the value of these items.especially coins and bullion is decided.

The terms quoted above do not cover it.

It is the question of the business cost to replace the item, not it's retail value.  Same as car insurance with a total loss, the insurance wants to pay you how much a car dealer can get a car for .... presuming we are all car dealers.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys! I was reading this post today as one of the parcels I've sent containing gold (insured with SD) posted on Monday did not arrive. Not only that, it still shows "sender preparing item" VE741123003GB . My thought is that maybe someone form the post office just stole it when hearing it's insured up to £2.5k? I went today and asked them what happened to the item as it still shows it's in the shop and they simply told me to complete the claim form (lol). I will complete this after 5 working days have passed but my question is, how can RM check what's in the post? If the actual value it's let's say £2200 and you use receipts to get up to £2500 and the weight matches pretty much, how do they know? :-? 

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

how can RM check what's in the post? If the actual value it's let's say £2200 and you use receipts to get up to £2500 and the weight matches pretty much, how do they know?

Quick answer; they can't if it is genuinely stolen/lost.

I'm not sure what would happen if they paid out on insurance and then it turned up somewhere. Would they deliver it, return to sender or keep it and open it?

What you claim for is up to you and your morals/conscience😉

I'm sure the PO will investigate where it went missing as they take these things very seriously, ie it costs them money!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

Quick answer; they can't if it is genuinely stolen/lost.

I'm not sure what would happen if they paid out on insurance and then it turned up somewhere. Would they deliver it, return to sender or keep it and open it?

What you claim for is up to you and your morals/conscience😉

I'm sure the PO will investigate where it went missing as they take these things very seriously, ie it costs them money!

Thanks you for sharing your thoughts! 

On 02/05/2017 at 19:23, KDave said:

@Pete You would think so, but that is not how Royal Mail see it. I have copied and pasted the following from their website below;

"Below is an example of actual loss:

Mrs Smith (the end purchaser) bought a pair of jeans from a shop and paid £25 for them. If she posts them on and they go missing she can claim what it cost her to purchase the jeans, i.e. £25.

The Shop (the retailer) that sells the jeans buys them from the manufacturer for £15. If they post them and they go missing they can claim what it cost them to acquire the jeans, i.e. £15.

The Factory (the manufacturer) that supplies the shop makes the jeans for £10. If they post them and they go missing they can claim what the item cost them to manufacture, i.e. £10."

So that is their stance on it, hence we must take measures to ensure we do get the 'value' of the item we are posting by means of a receipt with an equivalent value. Once a parcel is lost, then what was in the lost package was definitely absolutely 100% the item on the receipt you are using as evidence isn't it? 

I've had to claim compensation once before. It was for an item sold via eBay. I provided a link to the eBay sales listing and was compensated by the exact amount of the sale (+ postage returned). 

2 minutes ago, Melon said:

I've had to claim compensation once before. It was for an item sold via eBay. I provided a link to the eBay sales listing and was compensated by the exact amount of the sale (+ postage returned). 

Was it for special delivery/high value item? Also, would they accept as a proof payment to a person via paypal which has a note of Gold Krugg?

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

Was it for special delivery/high value item? Also, would they accept as a proof payment to a person via paypal which has a note of Gold Krugg?

No this was just standard parcel compensation, but I believe the process is the same. 

My assumption has always been that if you can show you linked the tracking number to a sale at the point of postage, and the price paid is documented, then that should be evidence enough. 

• 11 months later...
4 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

@GSTrading

Can I ask what happened in your case ? 

Yes, with that parcel the SD label was lost and during that lockdown, the RM treated the parcel as a 1st class or 2nd class parcel. Thus, it arrived after 2 weeks or so. Since then, I've learnt to use clear, wide tape to cover the whole parcel including edges, the destination and tracking labels  etc(I have free rolls of SD and signed for labels at home) so they only need to scan them at the post office

Archived