• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My NGC fake 1862 gold $1... final (good) outcome.

Lindeman

Just to close the chapter on the infamous 1862 "gold" $1 that came back in shame from NGC in @Numistackers recent batch. 

I had bought it from a reputable UK auction house, at a real auction where I had viewed the coin in hand before bidding. Having contacted them and informed them of the NGC decision they immediately gave me a full refund, with no quibbling.  I wanted to share that with everyone - as I found it reassuring that they care for their reputation ( as no good auction house wants to be seen selling fakes..), and obviously while I was motivated to get my own funds back, I also wanted them to know so they would be aware in future if offered / consigned coins by the same seller. 

So while eBay in theory offers buyers some level of protection, it's good to know that auctions will also do the right thing if presented with evidence of a fake. 

And I should say that I was lucky / happy with many of my other NGC results - see pics of a few Libertads, my nice old 8 reales (still love that coin), and my favourite of the bunch - the 2005 Perth "Sydney Mint" commemorative sovereign.  Thanks again to Numi for getting the coins all there / back home again (we should never take that for granted actually! ). 

Finally back to the US gold dollars : I should mention I have two others bought raw and ungraded (on eBay) ....but suffice to say I am nervous to send them in????! 

IMG_9498.JPG

IMG_9501.JPG

IMG_9502.JPG

IMG_9504.JPG

My experience is also that auction houses take back fakes with no problem at all and also instantly remove them from the catalogue if the issue is highlighted during viewing. A friend once pointed out that one coin was actually an electrotype rather than an original, the auction house immediately removed it from the sale but the vendor was not happy at all as the estimate was high five figures and he had had it for more than 30 years and the dealer he bought it from retired long ago!

It would be interesting to know how often this happens???

Just to close the chapter on the infamous 1862 "gold" $1 that came back in shame from NGC in [mention=378]Numistacker[/mention]s recent batch. 
I had bought it from a reputable UK auction house, at a real auction where I had viewed the coin in hand before bidding. Having contacted them and informed them of the NGC decision they immediately gave me a full refund, with no quibbling.  I wanted to share that with everyone - as I found it reassuring that they care for their reputation ( as no good auction house wants to be seen selling fakes..), and obviously while I was motivated to get my own funds back, I also wanted them to know so they would be aware in future if offered / consigned coins by the same seller. 
So while eBay in theory offers buyers some level of protection, it's good to know that auctions will also do the right thing if presented with evidence of a fake. 
And I should say that I was lucky / happy with many of my other NGC results - see pics of a few Libertads, my nice old 8 reales (still love that coin), and my favourite of the bunch - the 2005 Perth "Sydney Mint" commemorative sovereign.  Thanks again to Numi for getting the coins all there / back home again (we should never take that for granted actually! ). 
Finally back to the US gold dollars : I should mention I have two others bought raw and ungraded (on eBay) ....but suffice to say I am nervous to send them in[emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]! 
IMG_9498.thumb.JPG.f7787dc96d2e9f5da259c09c47670677.JPG
IMG_9501.thumb.JPG.7e6b5f9c31f0a46d3808b17730487bd8.JPG
IMG_9502.thumb.JPG.5e5eef797dcf90d99855e39163536e5c.JPG
IMG_9504.thumb.JPG.5f622db3470886bdf17c09136335430d.JPG

Let's have some fun with the $'s

I have two fake dollars at home, you have one and we should get enough of them together to make a video just about fake dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived