• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How long have we all been stacking/collecting?

jayboat

How long have you been stacking?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been stacking PM's?

• under 6 months
    • under 1 year
    • over 1 year
    • over 2 years
    • over 3 years
    • over 5 years
    • over 10 years
    • over 20 years

This may have been done before, but i dont think a poll. 

Was just looking back over some old stuff and got to thinking about how i have been stacking 4 and half years now. I wonder if i will still be doing it in another 5? Maybe its become put of the routine to put that little bit of money to the side every pay day for buying some silver. 

Would be interesting just to know what type of mix up we have here on the forum, some people stacking for longer than me would have gone through the 2011 jump, others stacking for longer may have bought silver at under £4-5 spot!!!

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

Started in 2010, shortly after my daughter was born. Being a newbie I foolishly bought a couple of tubes of silver Maple leafs instead of Lunar Tigers, which were available at roughly the same price from Coininvestdirect (forerunner of Silver to go).

Can't really imagine stopping, unless the market moves spectacularly.

In started in februari of this year. The first two things i bought were the Queen's Beasts Lion 2 oz and the Silver Eagle with box and certificate of 2012 from 4 oz. Both coins made such a great impression that i have to say that i'm a little bit addicted at the moment. But i think it's a very nice hobby with a lot of financial potential in it also. 

Wow, 26 votes already :) 

2013 seems to be a popular year for starting. I guess it might have been in the news are something like that. I remember going from watching youtube bitcoin videos which i had a little invested, to watching silver videos from silverfish VT and unboxings. I had just get screwed over by mtgox and lost 95% of my bitcoin. I had enough of that game and started into silver stacking. Did'nt buy much my first year, maybe 30 oz's, then i started speeding up and placing bigger orders. Ordered 254 oz last year, just checked that on my excel sheet and it surprised my a little cause i would have guessed 150. :rolleyes:

Interesting enough, i never sold that 5% bitcoin i had on my QR silver bitcoin and its in profit but hardly worth selling, its a better talking point having a nice silver coin with bitcoin loaded on it. 

IMG_20140915_171537.thumb.jpg.ee0bfb88ab98bb0e3316c474dd114e9a.jpgIMG_20140915_171558.thumb.jpg.fb93b5a868a628452c12315d118e3e78.jpg

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

Those who are more than 3 but under 5, In march '13 - july '13 silver prices dropped by a third after a couple of years of steady highs. That would have got notice, and maybe for some who had been collector proof buyers over 5, this might be when they expanded into bullion too.

Started stacking early 2010 then watched silver double in price and steadily fall back to below where I started.
Problem was I enthusiastically piled in on the rise, thought this was a great hobby / investment, ( possibly as many fellow stackers think today ); then after the peak watched my assets fall to half - like carrying a bucket of water with a hole in it.

i started collecting coins in a WWI brass shell casing when i was a child. A few pounds [weight] of silver in 3d, 4d, 6d and upwards.

i bought a silver bar shortly before silver took off in price in 2010. It turned out to be a fake.

i traded gold and silver miners and the paper metals since the 1980's. i started stacking in earnest about 3 years ago. i never got caught by high silver prices which is a blessing. 

i hit my targets a while ago so i raised the target.....again and again......and again. i am addicted to stacking so i carry on.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Started stacking early 2010 then watched silver double in price and steadily fall back to below where I started.
Problem was I enthusiastically piled in on the rise, thought this was a great hobby / investment, ( possibly as many fellow stackers think today ); then after the peak watched my assets fall to half - like carrying a bucket of water with a hole in it.

At the time when it was rising, did you sell at all? did you slow down your buying? are just continue on as normal? 

Sorry for being nosy, this is just a question i play over in my head and what i will i do if silver ever hit £30 an oz. Will i sell some, hold and  stop buying, sell the lot and buy gold hoping the GSR is 1-50 are under. 

For me and i think i can say for most of us stackers, what we do on a daily basis is not that important, its easy, we save, we stack and it grows each year. Building the stack is the easy part, its almost automatic. I think the hard part is knowing what to do when silver spot is way up there at £25-30. 

If your not on the market to sell for a long time, i think that spot is not that important in the grand scheme if things. Not saying to not try and buy during drips if you can and stuff that like. But silver being around £9.50 15-16 months ago and it being £14 today does'nt slow me down in any way. I cant sell yet no matter the price because i still need more :D

11 hours ago, KDave said:

I wonder what happened 3 years ago to make us all want to start stacking/collecting? There is something very interesting going on there on the human side of things but I have no idea what. 

I was led to it by youtube videos around 3 years ago

Not sure how I got into watching youtube videos about PMs though 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

22 minutes ago, ThoseBackPages said:

as a newbie i must say that the YT videos are very influential!

I think it was from watching The Money Masters and The Secret of Oz documentaries by William Still that led me to watching Mike Maloney Hidden Secrets of Money, to then watching stacking videos like SalivateMetal

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, jayboat said:

At the time when it was rising, did you sell at all? did you slow down your buying? are just continue on as normal? 

Sorry for being nosy, this is just a question i play over in my head and what i will i do if silver ever hit £30 an oz. Will i sell some, hold and  stop buying, sell the lot and buy gold hoping the GSR is 1-50 are under. 

For me and i think i can say for most of us stackers, what we do on a daily basis is not that important, its easy, we save, we stack and it grows each year. Building the stack is the easy part, its almost automatic. I think the hard part is knowing what to do when silver spot is way up there at £25-30. 

If your not on the market to sell for a long time, i think that spot is not that important in the grand scheme if things. Not saying to not try and buy during drips if you can and stuff that like. But silver being around £9.50 15-16 months ago and it being £14 today does'nt slow me down in any way. I cant sell yet no matter the price because i still need more :D

No I did not sell any because the purpose of stacking was to accumulate not to flip.
The precious metals experts were going overboard to get people to switch fiat for gold and silver.
There is an Australian Forum that preceded this one called Silver Stackers and that didn't help as the forecast for silver was "to the moon".
Talk of Morgan Stanley manipulation and all sorts of crazy stuff meant that stacking PMs was a no-brainer.
Loads of informative videos, emails, news bulletins and financial super-gurus all encouraging pundits to buy, buy, buy !!!
Trump calls this FAKE news and on this I have to say I agree.
Of course the price shot up and proved everyone right and so the climb went on and on.
Anyone selling a silver Britannia or Kookaburra on eBay would get £30 or more the day it was listed.
Finding a good eBay German seller, that ended up being Aurinum, was brilliant as prices were good and VAT in Germany was ( I think ) only 7% whilst it remained at 20% in the UK.
Today the German's ( and some other countries ) use a loophole in VAT ( which surprisingly UK sellers don't seem to be interested in ) called differential VAT after the Government increased the rate to 19%. Silver bars were always 19% so buying coins was a better deal.
Having the fiat and getting bo-didly-squat in the bank, stacking seemed an interesting investment, especially with the forecasted silver price caused by the Chinese buying more than could be produced - allegedly. Anyhow you can see how the price plummeted and never reached the $1,000 per ounce projections.
Mind you it could have been worse as a friend of mine sunk all his pension pot money into Brent Crude when it was over $100 a barrel - again on the advice of "experts".

I'm another for 3 years.  I wonder how many of us will still b stacking in say 3, 5, or ten years? Loads have gone from the forum since I started.  Great members like fluttershy and Keith oil.

I've been collecting coins forever. I started with foreign coins when I was a kid. Didn't really continue the interest wholeheartedly but came and went as the years rolled by. Didn't really get into "stacking" in terms of thinking about the precious metal content of coins until around 2012 I think it was.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

16 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've been collecting coins forever. I started with foreign coins when I was a kid. Didn't really continue the interest wholeheartedly but came and went as the years rolled by. Didn't really get into "stacking" in terms of thinking about the precious metal content of coins until around 2012 I think it was.

What coins do you stack now then Steve :D

17 hours ago, Lea79 said:

I'm another for 3 years.  I wonder how many of us will still b stacking in say 3, 5, or ten years? Loads have gone from the forum since I started.  Great members like fluttershy and Keith oil.

I think i will deffo still be kicking about here after stacking for 5 years. 10 years........who no's what can happen in 10 years. I would still guess yes, i only see myself selling if silver was to hugely spike are the GSR goes to 1-45ish. Both are long shots at this time so stack on. 

Archived