• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Having a Laugh !!

Pete

There is a seller on eBay listing a Britannia 1997 silver proof coin set that I am interested in buying.
Not only is his buy it now price almost twice the going rate he charges £32 for delivery that would actually cost £7.25

What makes me amused is his explanation to the high cost of P&P which is pasted here for others to smile at -

"Postage Costs do not only cover the actual cost from the Royal Mail. There is a cost for the materials used to pack the items. In some cases items will be reused. There is also the cost of getting to and from the Post Office with the items. Also, as Ebay are now taking at least 10% of the postage cost this also needs to be covered. 
The postage cost are clearly stated. If you don't agree with them, please look somewhere else"

So when I next list on the Bay perhaps I will try to charge time walking to the post office at £20 per hour, cost to get some rubbish out of recycling to pack safely, time and fuel travelling to Costco to find a cardboard box, double the cost of Special Delivery because i feel like it then add 15% to cover fees. .......what a plonker ..... :lol: - ... guaranteed not to sell so early part of the learning curve I reckon.

I could understand him throwing on 10% because eBay take this piss and aquid or 2 if shipped in a box but this guy is tapped message him and offer him an additional 10 quid or so if he personaly delivers it in his car just poin out to him he still might make double his costs

1 hour ago, motorbikez said:

@Pete There is no 1987 proof silver Britannia:lol: perhaps its a Chinese import.

Oops - fingers too thick on keyboard - now corrected to 1997 but well spotted guys - top of the class !!

1 hour ago, Silverhunter said:

Perhaps if you post the link to the item we all on here could watch it getting him really excited thinking he's going to make a fortune 

Here you go - 

eBay item number:

And curiously, this little gem;

" Proof of postage is always obtained. If any item goes astray then contact me then and this will be sent to enable the purchaser to claim from the Post Office"

Er....no.  That is not how it would go down. Proof of postage alone won't do, i'm afraid, if an item goes astray. Responsibility falls to you buddy, to try claim your own loss back (if you send it insured). Those are the risks you take as a seller, unfortunately. It is not up to your buyer to go through a claims process with the postal carrier! The buyer just has to make a claim through paypal and they will refund the purchaser in full.

This guy is a piece of work. But even so, i won't "watch" the item as someone suggested:) ...a bit cruel.

I have posed as an interested buyer and asked him a question about the postage and also a clarification on whether it is mine or his responsibility to chase postage. 

Will be interesting if and when he replies!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

23 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

I have posed as an interested buyer and asked him a question about the postage and also a clarification on whether it is mine or his responsibility to chase postage. 

Will be interesting if and when he replies!

Imagine trying to initiate a claim as a recipient with Royal Mail 

7 hours ago, swAgger said:

" Proof of postage is always obtained. If any item goes astray then contact me then and this will be sent to enable the purchaser to claim from the Post Office"

I've seen this ruse tried many times. It's just bluster to try and convince the naive that it's their pigeon if something goes wrong. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I've never had to teach such people the error of their ways.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

39 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

Guy needs to crop his photos I spent more time looking in background to be fair this set looks heavier than the last so he will obviously use more fule or shoe leather to get to the post office and back

56 minutes ago, Silverhunter said:

Guy needs to crop his photos I spent more time looking in background to be fair this set looks heavier than the last so he will obviously use more fule or shoe leather to get to the post office and back

I have again asked another question about postage. I suggest we all go and start asking this seller questions via ebay - see if he actually replies or changes his tack!

This is the question i have asked

"Hello - again can you clarify the position on postage please? Royal Mail Special delivery for this item would cost you about £9 - and then ebay's 10% would mean probably about £10 total. Cost of a suitable box, £3-£5. 

Why are you charging £45 for something that will cost you £15. 

Also I think you are wrong about the claiming for lost postage. This would be your responsibility, if something went missing the buyer would just get a refund from Paypal and/or Ebay and then it is your responsibility to get a refund. 

Please clarify as I am really interested in some of your items. "

20 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

For all we know the seller maybe a member on the forum.

@Pete Is this a way of advertising your listings? :D

If he is a member on the forum then he can make himself known and explain his terms.

Sorry @danmc82 but your :D comment has me scratching my head - what did you mean ?

I really don't understand why people do this now for their items.

Just calculate what number you want to sell your item for, how much money you would like to make from it AFTER fee's and postage and then make a buy it now price accordingly. 

The only time I add postage fee's are for auction items so I can know I am not going to lose money on a small item!

International postage can be calculated separately on your items so you don't have to think about covering this up front anyway!

It is people like this which give eBay the bad press it does not really deserve!

I got a reply from the seller!

Hi there

As regards this particular item, it weighs 2.3kg and to get it sent via Special delivery insured is £27.60 excluding VAT if I buy it online. 

In the past I have been caught out with postage costing me more than I expected so I always err on the side of caution.

Dont bid on this item as it has been sold elsewhere.

As regards the other items you are looking at. I have checked the postage on them and would agree it is way over. Must have been a bad day when I listed those. 

I will reply to you on the other listings about this. If you are interested in a couple of items, I am happy to supply you with a quote for sending multiple item together before any bids are placed.

If you bid on multiple items, don't pay until after you receive an invoice for payment as I can't adjust the postage once you have paid.

regards

And a second reply to another message

Hi there

As mentioned in the other listing, I would agree the postage on these sets is a tad overboard. 

Let me know what sets / coins you are interested in and I will happily give you a discounted postage cost. 

cheers

Basically he is trying to pad his sales for a unwitty buyer to come in and pay TOOO much and he pockets the rest!

39 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

And a second reply to another message

Hi there

As mentioned in the other listing, I would agree the postage on these sets is a tad overboard. 

Let me know what sets / coins you are interested in and I will happily give you a discounted postage cost. 

cheers

Basically he is trying to pad his sales for a unwitty buyer to come in and pay TOOO much and he pockets the rest!

Seems a decent replying overall but like you say he's just trying to back door more of a margin

44 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

I got a reply from the seller!

Hi there

As regards this particular item, it weighs 2.3kg and to get it sent via Special delivery insured is £27.60 excluding VAT if I buy it online. 

In the past I have been caught out with postage costing me more than I expected so I always err on the side of caution.

regards

I think he needs new scales.

I just weighed my 2005 set -

IMG_0392.jpg

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think he needs new scales.

I just weighed my 2005 set -

IMG_0392.jpg

When I read the reply I thought 2.3 kg was ridiculous but I don't own any of these and thought it might of been a solid wood box  making the weight but obv his calculations must be slightly out by a factor of 9/10

Archived