• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Pure Scottish Silver - Anyone Own Any?

Alymac

I have sold to both of them I believe (its a husband and wife team) 

They are great people to deal with, always polite and always up for a chat about a plethora of things. 

I have nothing but nice words for them as people, even better that they sell great product. 

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

I haven't bought anything from them yet but their stuff looks good enough! 

Have you noticed something missing from these UK poured pieces? 

A reason i buy the Sheffield bars

bar5-1.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 hour ago, GoldBenj said:

We have a few forum members that make their own items and sell them, If I was interested in anything personally I'd rather spend my money with a forum member but that's just me.

I agree with you, new to this scene and the forum but already had a good look at the items SilverStan and BackyardBullion make. 

Was as just curious to see what people's experience was of them.

3 minutes ago, oliversw5 said:

I believe silver has to be hallmarked above 8 grams does it not?  Correct me if I am wrong.

If you plan to sell it then yes, but even if you do sell it, as long as you don't use the word "silver" do describe it then it is legal to do so. 

But yes, you need a hallmark for sure - I have just registered with the Edinburgh Assay office which is very exciting!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

There is a discussion on another thread where a character on ebay is selling hand poured silver claiming it is .999 silver when Backyard Bullion's test shows it is not pure silver and most likely Sterling silver. This is an offence for obvious reasons. This then tempted me to look at the legislation - the Hallmarking Act 1973.

Details are covered here

https://theassayoffice.co.uk/legislation/current-legislation

The threshold for silver is 7.78g or 0.25 troy oz

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Just now, HelpingHands said:

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that unworked/unfinished(?) items such as bars don't need to be hallmarked.

The bars sold by main dealers are not hallmaked.

There is some ambiguity about bars and whether they need hallmarks.

35 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that unworked/unfinished(?) items such as bars don't need to be hallmarked.

The bars sold by main dealers are not hallmaked.

OK the legislation says.

Part II Exempted Articles

Any raw material (including any bar, plate, sheet, foil, rod, wire, strip or tube) or bullion."

In the first part the legislation is talking about raw materials you might find at a wholesale metal dealer's. It exempts wholesalers from sending their silver products off to get them hallmarked before selling them. That would be ridiculous. 

Then we see bullion. What is bullion legally?

This is more complicated and i am finding conflicting information, so i am going to look into this further.

Testing wise and sorry if this is a stupid question does a producer need to send off one in every so many batch produced to be tested?

Would be excellent if there was more people making poured bars etc over here, SilverStan and Backyard Bullions stuff looks good and full credit to them for putting the work in to produce these.

10 minutes ago, Alymac said:

Testing wise and sorry if this is a stupid question does a producer need to send off one in every so many batch produced to be tested?

Would be excellent if there was more people making poured bars etc over here, SilverStan and Backyard Bullions stuff looks good and full credit to them for putting the work in to produce these.

If you send in finished articles they use an XRF test to verify its purity. 

@Alymac I supply them with some of their silver they use to cast with. I know both of them very well and got them into casting. Highly reputable and developing a good name for themselves.

With regards to hallmarking, bars (EXCLUDING 3D Bars) are exempt from hallmarking as they are seen as a raw item, no matter how fancy it looks. 

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Im Steve and i run PURE as mentioned with Shelley.

Thank you to all the people who commented, it means a lot.

We are registered with Edinburgh Assay Office and any piece that needs to be hallmarked is hallmarked. Hallmark can be seen on website .. www.purescottishsilver.co.uk

Bars and Rounds are exempt from hallmarking as it is assumed they will be melted down to make something (probably Jewellery) .. and at that point (if over 8g) they will be tested and hallmarked. I have checked and double checked with the Assay office what does and what does not need hallmarking.

So things like the product mentioned http://www.purescottishsilver.co.uk/product/silver-cheetah/  are all hallmarked. Its just the bars and round that are not .. but of course if you would like them hallmarked, we can do this for you too.

Thanks Again.

Happy Stacking.

Steve

On 16/04/2017 at 12:05, oliversw5 said:

I have sold to both of them I believe (its a husband and wife team) 

They are great people to deal with, always polite and always up for a chat about a plethora of things. 

I have nothing but nice words for them as people, even better that they sell great product. 

Thanx  so much for your kind words.. love to chat anytime ;-)

I have a close affinity to Scotland but I have to say the title - Pure Scottish Silver threw me.
To use this name / title I would have liked to believe the raw silver was mined in Scotland and not just melted and crafted north of the border.
:unsure:

Anyone for a single Malt Scotch distilled and aged in Northampton ?

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

I have a close affinity to Scotland but I have to say the title - Pure Scottish Silver threw me.
To use this name / title I would have liked to believe the raw silver was mined in Scotland and not just melted and crafted north of the border.
:unsure:

Anyone for a single Malt Scotch distilled and aged in Northampton ?

I'm not sure about that, isn't the last example kind of the opposite @Pete?

If I buy a Scotch whisky I expect it to be treated, distilled and aged in Scotland to their standards.

I don't much care where the plants were grown.

Perhaps I'm missing something, or perhaps (most likely!) I am not enough of a purist :)

15 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I'm not sure about that, isn't the last example kind of the opposite @Pete?

If I buy a Scotch whisky I expect it to be treated, distilled and aged in Scotland to their standards.

I don't much care where the plants were grown.

Perhaps I'm missing something, or perhaps (most likely!) I am not enough of a purist :)

Yes a Scotch whisky should be made in Scotland using Scottish water, barley etc, distilled in Scotland and aged in Scotland where the climate adds to the uniqueness, and preferably bottled in Scotland. Scotland through and through. My "invented" example of a Northampton produced Scotch is to take the p*ss out of the title "Pure Scottish Silver" which unambiguously infers ( to me as reader ) Scottish silver, not Mexican, African or Chinese silver - Scottish material out of the ground. There is gold in Scotland so if the mined gold is made into jewellery there is great pride in being able to state made with real Scottish Gold. If this gold was shipped down south and made into a brooch it wouldn't be right to call it Pure Essex Gold for example - would it ?

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

There is gold in Scotland so if the mined gold is made into jewellery there is great pride in being able to state made with real Scottish Gold. If this gold was shipped down south and made into a brooch it wouldn't be right to call it Pure Essex Gold for example - would it ?

I was going to buy the wife a clogau Welsh ring until I found out there was only a small percentage of Welsh gold in most of the jewelry. 

In no way am I comparing that to this topic. I don't believe the above are intensionally marketing there products as pure Scottish mined silver. 

Archived