• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth's Lunar Zoo...what's hot, what's not?

Jester

Hello All,

I hope this thread finds you well.  I've been looking at the Perth Lunar Series of coins (back to Series 1) and I really like some more than others.  While I always strive to collect what I like and like to look at, I'm also open to picking up coins that have the potential to appreciate in value (or already have) due to the design, mintage, etc.  I'd be grateful if those that are veterans of this series would share your opinion on those lunar coins that are most sought after to give me some idea where to begin.  For example, I really like the 2008 Rat (Series 1) in both the 2 oz BU and 1 oz Proof.  Given my efforts thus far, both seem a fool's errand to obtain.  I can't find them anywhere and the one I did find was an affordable $5000 USD for the 1 oz Proof.  On the other hand, MCM has the 2017 2 oz Year of the Rooster Proof (Series 2) slabbed and graded PF70 for $199 even though the mintage was only 2,000 coins.  So does the Rooster fall into the "What's Not" category?  It seems a bit overwhelming at first.  Any feedback you're willing to offer would be most welcomed.  Thanks in advance for your time and input! 

Are you only looking for proofs and graded coins or all coins in general ? 

I keep some data of these coins on ebay.

I look for what price they sell and how often they sell but i never bother kepping track of graded/proof coins. 

He is talking about Series I not series II

In series I they stopped minting the 0.5 oz in 2007 so there is no complete set. (only 9)

I don't really know the price for a 2 oz mouse (series I)
I know there are 7221 minted. 
Recently an ox sold for € 166 on ebay (without shipping fees). These have almost the same mintage (6465)
I also saw a 2010 tiger getting sold for €311 but this seems way overpriced (mintage 6520)

With some patience and searching i guess you can get an 1 oz 2008 Mouse (series I) for around €60 (mintage 59.623)
For myself i'm trying to collect the lunar I 1 oz series for €60 a piece incl shipping. ( Got 5 so far, if anybody wants to sell ;))
Mostly they sell on ebay above €60 without the shipping costs. 

When i have some more time i will give some more numbers i have. 
Now i'm kinda busy. :)

The easiest sets to complete are 1oz S1 Bu & S2 BU which the latter is obviously on going. All of the S1 proof sets are near impossible to complete, in order 1oz would be the easiest followed by 1/2oz,2oz forget it.

A nice set which will give a collector a   realistic chance to complete is the S1 2oz Bu set, the only one in that set which will cost serious money is the tiger.

S2  2oz Bu again fairly easy to complete & in that set only mouse followed by ox will cost serious money.

S2 1oz proof set is now getting harder to complete but again it is possible & is a beautiful set, likewise S2  2oz proof which will be far more difficult to complete, in S2 1oz proof tiger is the key coin & most expensive followed by dragon.S2 proof 2oz mouse & ox are the most expensive coins.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Hey I would recommend looking at California Numismatic Investments for any particular series 1 gold lunar coins. They are my local coin shop, but happen to be the best bullion dealer in the world in my opinion.. they beat everyone. . If you compare their prices no one can touch them. I'm really lucky they're 2 min away from my work, and I drive by them 5 times a day. They have every series 1 lunar coin for sale. Only the gold ones are shown on their website but. If you're looking for anyone in particular let me know and I'll swing by to see if they have it.

https://www.golddealer.com/product/australian-gold-lunar-set-series-1/

2 hours ago, Niels87 said:

For myself i'm trying to collect the lunar I 1 oz series for €60 a piece incl shipping. ( Got 5 so far, if anybody wants to sell ;))

Mostly they sell on ebay above €60 without the shipping costs.

I have a spare dog and rooster if that helps

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool set, I think a lot of the art is superior to series II. Some of the mintages are tiny. I do miss the half-kilo silver, all the diameter of the kilo at half the cost. I'd love to see that one back for series III, which if silver ever starts to rise dramatically may make sense for them financially.

I did a comprehensive guide to this series with images of the designs and mintages of all the variants. Took me ages and it got corrupted recently, but all fixed now.

http://agaunews.com/portfolio-items/perth-mint-lunar-series-i/

Archived