• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen's Beasts: What Would Happen?

forgottenmemorie

Can I remind everyone that when the Queen does pass (bless her), the new monarch would not be crowned immediately, it could be as little as one year after Charles accedes to the throne, but it could be many years.  QEII Acceded to the thrown 16 months before her coronation, her face did not appear on coins in circulation before she was crowned.

Therefore, the Royal Mint has lots of time to bump-out the rest of the series with her head on the back after she passes.

45 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

Can I remind everyone that when the Queen does pass (bless her), the new monarch would not be crowned immediately, it could be as little as one year after Charles accedes to the throne, but it could be many years.  QEII Acceded to the thrown 16 months before her coronation, her face did not appear on coins in circulation before she was crowned.

Therefore, the Royal Mint has lots of time to bump-out the rest of the series with her head on the back after she passes.

I'm not sure on this... Charles becomes King the moment that the Queen dies.  He will make his first address to the nation less than 48 hours later.

There is commonly a period between monarchs when the circulating coinage is still minted using the old designs and dies. There is no reason to suppose this time will be any different. The mint should have plenty of time to complete the beast series, unless it happens very soon, touch wood.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 hours ago, Clens92 said:

I'm not sure on this... Charles becomes King the moment that the Queen dies.  He will make his first address to the nation less than 48 hours later.

I didn't say he wouldn't be King immediately, but it is common practice not to be crowned within a year ...... with one King it was even 15 years before he was crowned.

Do you know of any QEII coins from 1952 when her father died (as early as February)?  She was crowned in 1953, that's when her coinage appeared.

Hopefully she still has many years left - after all her mum lived to 101. But they must have thought of a contingency plan in case she does passes. I doubt it would be possible to churn out the remaining designs in a single year, so how about this plan - based on what the Perth Mint did for the Lunar Series 1

1. Date each of the remaining series with her last year (e.g. 2017)

2. Dual date the coin with the year it is actually produced (e.g. 2021)

That way the Queen can "officially" be on the coin as it is a coin in her reign, but that mint can still have time to produce them as required.

Or is it simply possible to churn out 2017 coins in future years. Not sure what the rules are on that but I know the Perth Mint produces coins with years on the obverse different to the year they were actually minted.

• 1 month later...

Archived