• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

jayboat

Ever think about selling your whole stack?

I am not selling my stack, not even selling a single coin but if you were to sell your whole stack, what would you doing with the money? I was thinking about it in work the other day and since then spent a little time on google looking for options and none are appealing to me at all. Stocks are to high, P2P lending and saving accounts are boring, bitcoin is crazy and i dont have much knowledge on anything else. Premium bonds look interesting but would they beat inflation long term? and 50K cap. 

If i sold my whole stack, i would get around 13K, not a huge amount but not a small amount either. I can really only see myself selling everything to buy a house outright. Right now i could buy a 3 bed council house for 55-60k. So i am a quarter'ish to way there in 3 1/2 years. 15-20 years would be doable i reckon. 

After you figured out what to do with your money, you have to figure out what to do with your time. How much time do you spend watching youtube videos, on the forum, reading articles, checking charts, searching ebay, updating spreadsheets, planning out orders are anything else silver related. I'd have nothing to do, my abandoned xbox would get much love again. It is more likely i would get bored and start stacking again :) 

Morel of the story, silver stacking is the dogs balls and perfect hobby/investment for me.

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

Wouldn't sell my stack but I do manage to buy some & decide its not for me to replace with another coin. I enjoy the collecting as much as it will hopefully make money in the future.

If you can buy a house that cheap could you not just save up £15-20k & then rent it out as your going to make more from that than pms?

Where can I buy a 3 bed house for £60k? What rental return could I get? Sounds like I should sell my stack immediately and rent the house. each month I would rebuy my stack from the rent.

Where can I buy a 3 bed house for £60k? What rental return could I get? Sounds like I should sell my stack immediately and rent the house. each month I would rebuy my stack from the rent.

I often see certain areas of the UK mostly higher up north you can get really cheap houses. Whilst on the plane last year there were a group of lads going to Ibiza & 1 chap had recently got a house for 55k in Stoke. Rental in that area he said was £425pcm

I will sell my stack one day, at the minute I enjoy the collecting side of it and also I am saving money at the same time, you should look into premium bonds, I put a bit into them a couple of month back, no luck with last months draw but fingers crossed for this month lol I will win that 1 Mil one day lol. My plan for all my investments is when I'm older, another 25 years ish I will sell my stack and that will pay for a few nice holidays for me and the missus. 

4 hours ago, Numistacker said:

I am from Northern Ireland, property is a lot cheaper.  Monthly rental on that would be £450 a month before rates, insurance, tax and stuff. 

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

I am stacking as insurance against currency deflation and collapse and given the state of the global debt saturation and the way geo politics is heading a collapse of some kind is not totally inconceivable.  If another 2008 type financial type situation occurs your £13,000 stack that buys you 1/4 of a house today might buy you a house outright.

It's all about cashing out for a profit and I have always intended to follow the strategy that I will cash in half my stack when spot goes to double my cost.  My current cost average is just under £15 and that includes some premium stuff, since spot has gone to £30 before it can do so again and when it does I will weigh in half my stack meaning the half I have left has cost me nothing and I am prepared to wait as long as it takes.

This way I won't feel bad if it drops and if it sky rockets I will sell more.

On 02/04/2017 at 09:38, shawy2510 said:

I often see certain areas of the UK mostly higher up north you can get really cheap houses. Whilst on the plane last year there were a group of lads going to Ibiza & 1 chap had recently got a house for 55k in Stoke. Rental in that area he said was £425pcm

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas, but I reckon 9% gross yield claims are pie in the sky. Down here in the big smoke you can't even get half of that.

Just now, vand said:

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas, but I reckon 9% gross yield claims are pie in the sky. Down here in the big smoke you can't even get half of that.

If I lived on one of these £1,000,000+ properties in London I'd sell it and buy 10x £100,000 properties somewhere North and live in one off the rent of the others, If I still had the inclination to work that would be even more income.

I am in Leicester & a terraced house would be £140-£150k compared to that so a lower yield with rent being £600-£625. Down in the smoke its alot lower but the prices of houses do appreciate more in the long run.

Of course I think about the day I could sell my stack at the peak of the bull market/bubble, but I would always keep a little just because you never know how high it could go and/or when you will need it for SHTF or the zombie apocalypse. The day I think that governments respect money and central banks have no power left is the day I sell out completely. 

I'll continue to add ounces until dow/gold is well into single figures, but would probably scale back on PMs and start buying equities if/when we hit 8 or 9, stop buying PMs altogether if we get below 5, and probably start swapping PMs for stocks if we go below 3.

On 02/04/2017 at 09:38, shawy2510 said:

You can certainly buy places here 'in the north' for £60K, prices haven't really moved for the last 10 years or so? hence an even bigger north-south divide which means there is nowhere left to move to in the UK which is cheaper.

Coins or income generating asset is always the big decision for me - it does mean that on retirement I will have to eventually sell things* and invest in something to pay the monthly bills, unless the terms of my work pension improve of course!

ST

*Hopefully just swapping income (taxed) now for capital gain later (unlikely to be taxed)

I'm up T'north

There are several town centres up here you can get properties still for under £50k BUT there is good reason why they are under £50k !

If someone cant honestly afford a mortgage for £50k they will mostly likely fall into one of these D's  doley, druggy, drunk, desperate, degenerate, daft, in debt, down n out.  OR combinations of several of these Ds

These fantastic yields that are possible on paper, but not if you have to replace the lead on the roof every other month or totally rewire a property when every strip of electrical cable has been taken for its copper contents for a hit of smack 

43 minutes ago, Paul said:

I'm up T'north

There are several town centres up here you can get properties still for under £50k BUT there is good reason why they are under £50k !

If someone cant honestly afford a mortgage for £50k they will mostly likely fall into one of these D's  doley, druggy, drunk, desperate, degenerate, daft, in debt, down n out.  OR combinations of several of these Ds

These fantastic yields that are possible on paper, but not if you have to replace the lead on the roof every other month or totally rewire a property when every strip of electrical cable has been taken for its copper contents for a hit of smack 

Yeah.. that's my impression.. I'm thinking "Trainspotting Estate"

3 hours ago, vand said:

Im working working off 9% also here in northern ireland, 60k for a 3 bed house vs £450per month rent. I could squeeze that down to 55k for a fixer upper house. I get a guess of around 6.5% net after insurance's, rates, tiny £300 maintenance per year and no estate agents fees. Roll on and get that silver stacked :) 

You might want to look into renting or buying (depending on your financial situation and needs, of course) in a rural area outside of the city. Where I live (in the state of Maine, USA) rural properties/rentals go for about half (sometimes even less) what would be paid in the city. Of course, travel expenses should be considered. You might also consider buying a house in a less-expensive area for your family and renting a small apartment close to work for yourself during the work-week (also not uncommon here.) For travel, Is carpooling an option?  

Archived