• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Need Help - Is this Greek Owl coin real?

Pampfan

58cd8872639ff_IMG_5727(2).thumb.JPG.851728b411dd17fac69275d87ca8315b.JPG58cd886fcc1c5_IMG_5726(2).thumb.JPG.e7c84c58c855446b4de3011d08a2d958.JPG

My father in-law brought over a bag of old coinage and this was in it - It looks like it made out of Brass -  When i look online I only see silver versions of this Greek coin - 

Does anyone know if real or a reproduction.

Thanks all - Just found the coin on the Athenian Owl Replicas webpage - It appears my father in law got it when he visited the Museum in the 50's. 

Replica_Met_o.jpg

Replica_Met_r.jpg

Metropolitan Museum of Art replica Classical Owl tetradrachm (9.6g).

This low-weight silver-plated brass cast replica was made for New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art and sold by the museum's gift shop in large numbers in the 1950s and 1960s. This specimen like all of these particular replicas has a center dimple on the obverse, an edge cut at 8 o'clock on the obverse and 6 o'clock on the reverse, and prominent casting pits. This replica, made before the U.S. Hobby Protection Act was passed in 1973, isn't marked with a "COPY" or similar countermark. It's often auctioned on eBay as an authentic coin, though in many cases, not all, it appears that the seller doesn't know it's a replica.

Archived