• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Should I stay with Silver or with Gold?

Hi,

I've been stacking silver Brits since last year and recently sold them and put all into Gold Sovereigns. Although based in UK, Silver brits were from EU, but still outrageous spread difference compared to our US cousins. Gold spread and non vat more purchase friendly IMHO.

The Gold/Silver charts are all over the place whilst the smart money decide which way to position themselves. Obviously we have the debt ceiling in US approaching on 15th? and the triggering of Article 50 in UK due this month also. The charts are unclear short term, but long term I think we are still in an uptrend (although a nasty one at that) but as I'm in this for the long haul I just want to ask a few questions to see how others think:

Your answers and advice is more than welcome:

Do any of you just hold ONLY Gold after selling Silver? If so, why?

Do you collect Sov's instead of Gold Brits? If so, why?

Have any of you sold Gold and just stack Silver now, and why?

Many thanks

I hold both gold and silver but my attitude now is just to get silver from the EU while I still can as when Brexit happens the opportunity to buy VAT reduced silver will stop. After this  comes about I will probably switch to gold only.  

3 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

I hold both gold and silver but my attitude now is just to get silver from the EU while I still can as when Brexit happens the opportunity to buy VAT reduced silver will stop. After this  comes about I will probably switch to gold only.  

my  opinion is more or less the same as @Scuzzle the only Gold I'm getting  this year is one each of sov brit and QB, that's just to keep my collection up to date

Got both about 50 / 50 in value but wishing I was more concentrated on gold as it trades with narrow buy / sell margins.
Back of the boat is low in the water with the weight of silver, gold can be kept in the fish bowl.
Most ( but not all ) of my silver was bought with low VAT not our 20%.
If it wasn't for VAT I would probably consider switching some silver for platinum coins.

Im 100% silver now and will flip into gold when the GSR is 40ish to 1 if i ever see it in my lifetime. 

I am doing the 1 penny challenge, theres a thread in the other investments part and this will get me an oz of gold and maybe a sov also. 

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

I have majority silver, only started with gold just before Brexit as a little bet. Which did pay off. I have no where near as much as id like but I have to live!
I was lucky to start on silver when it was at £9 oz. Its mad how you always want more but the way I see it is its also part of my savings so it's not negative. 

On 3/4/2017 at 16:01, Scuzzle said:

Thanks for all your replies!

Yes, makes sense, presume we lose the VAT reduced element in the next couple years after article 50. 

On 3/4/2017 at 16:08, 4Nines7Hills said:

my  opinion is more or less the same as @Scuzzle the only Gold I'm getting  this year is one each of sov brit and QB, that's just to keep my collection up to date

I'm trying not to get seduced into collecting...but think I'm losing that battle!

On 3/4/2017 at 19:42, Pete said:

Got both about 50 / 50 in value but wishing I was more concentrated on gold as it trades with narrow buy / sell margins.
Back of the boat is low in the water with the weight of silver, gold can be kept in the fish bowl.
Most ( but not all ) of my silver was bought with low VAT not our 20%.
If it wasn't for VAT I would probably consider switching some silver for platinum coins.

Platinum is interesting, as is Rodium...will be researching those as I think they may have legs. Know what you mean about the weight, local post office raised an eyebrow when I dumped my last package on their scales! Said it contained 'Machine Parts'...it was the first thing that came to mind lol.

On 3/4/2017 at 21:44, Lunar17 said:

I also have 50/50 value silver/gold. I live in a Sweden, but if I was living i England I would probably buy more silver than gold right now because of Brexit (as Scuzzle described).

Yes, VAT is a bit mad here, doesn't help Silver stackers one bit. Got gold but funnily enough missing my silver now it's gone...instinct tells me it might have enormous upside eventually.

On 3/4/2017 at 22:35, jayboat said:

Im 100% silver now and will flip into gold when the GSR is 40ish to 1 if i ever see it in my lifetime. 

I am doing the 1 penny challenge, theres a thread in the other investments part and this will get me an oz of gold and maybe a sov also. 

I'll look at the penny challenge you mention, sounds interesting. Makes sense to switch if GSR drops to 40, good luck to you.

6 hours ago, JSILVER said:

I have majority silver, only started with gold just before Brexit as a little bet. Which did pay off. I have no where near as much as id like but I have to live!
I was lucky to start on silver when it was at £9 oz. Its mad how you always want more but the way I see it is its also part of my savings so it's not negative. 

Nice move getting in just before Brexit on gold, and silver at £9. Mind you, I don't suppose Bitcoin buyers who bought at £20 when it had previously been £10 don't mind right now at $1200! It's true you always want more, think I might have become addicted to metal lol, feeling a bit of a panic to get as much as possible before the £ takes a possible dive in the next few weeks.

I Like gold myself more than silver. BUT I belive much more in silver than gold atm! So myself is changing my purchases to silver almost 100%. Think silver is really undervalued compared to the cost of mining it from mother Earth [emoji196][emoji898]

I'm 2:1 in favour of gold by value. I prefer gold for its ease of storage and of course lack of VAT, but I think silver is probably more undervalued at current prices.

After just over 2 years stacking it's fair to say I prefer the look of the gold half of my spreadsheet! In saying that though, if I change the silver spot price to a fair going rate for bullion it looks a lot better. Longer term I don't think you can go wrong with either.

16 hours ago, RichRock said:

Nice move getting in just before Brexit on gold, and silver at £9. Mind you, I don't suppose Bitcoin buyers who bought at £20 when it had previously been £10 don't mind right now at $1200! It's true you always want more, think I might have become addicted to metal lol, feeling a bit of a panic to get as much as possible before the £ takes a possible dive in the next few weeks.

Haha, Yes indeed. I have a friend who is very in to cryptocurrency and I have started looking into it. I think I will be putting a bit of my savings into some of the lesser known to se what happens. Worth the risk I say. If only I had some bitcoins, I still cant understand its worth over gold. Maybe thats just me though!

On 3/6/2017 at 21:14, JSILVER said:

Haha, Yes indeed. I have a friend who is very in to cryptocurrency and I have started looking into it. I think I will be putting a bit of my savings into some of the lesser known to se what happens. Worth the risk I say. If only I had some bitcoins, I still cant understand its worth over gold. Maybe thats just me though!

Definitely speculation with the Crpto's, don't have any myself, so can't comment much, just to say I think Bitcoin is in Tulip Mania...'Bitulip?!?' stage  ATM IMHO. You watch it go sky high again instead of correcting severely to the downside now I've said that!:wacko:

On 3/6/2017 at 14:49, George said:

I Like gold myself more than silver. BUT I belive much more in silver than gold atm! So myself is changing my purchases to silver almost 100%. Think silver is really undervalued compared to the cost of mining it from mother Earth emoji196.pngemoji898.png

I agree, Silver is definitely undervalued IMHO. Stacking for long term, so don't mind if it whips around at these levels till it gets some legs for a decent altitude record in the future. Started adding Silver to current gold yesterday again. 

On 3/8/2017 at 07:17, RichRock said:

I agree, Silver is definitely undervalued IMHO. Stacking for long term, so don't mind if it whips around at these levels till it gets some legs for a decent altitude record in the future. Started adding Silver to current gold yesterday again. 

Unloaded a bit of gold at the £1010/oz level and then been enjoying the big smack down this week in Silver price.

Picked up a few silver pieces on the way down and with current Silver spot right now at £13.91 (a drop of £1.10 since last Thursday from £15) have just ordered some more. What price will do from here is anyone's guess, but based on my charts it's as good a spot as any to grab the final order for a few weeks. If it carries on down from here I'm okay with that as a long term hold, if it goes straight up from this £13.91 level I'll be okay with that too :D

On 3/4/2017 at 14:25, RichRock said:

Hi,

I've been stacking silver Brits since last year and recently sold them and put all into Gold Sovereigns. Although based in UK, Silver brits were from EU, but still outrageous spread difference compared to our US cousins. Gold spread and non vat more purchase friendly IMHO.

The Gold/Silver charts are all over the place whilst the smart money decide which way to position themselves. Obviously we have the debt ceiling in US approaching on 15th? and the triggering of Article 50 in UK due this month also. The charts are unclear short term, but long term I think we are still in an uptrend (although a nasty one at that) but as I'm in this for the long haul I just want to ask a few questions to see how others think:

Your answers and advice is more than welcome:

Do any of you just hold ONLY Gold after selling Silver? If so, why?

Do you collect Sov's instead of Gold Brits? If so, why?

Have any of you sold Gold and just stack Silver now, and why?

Many thanks

You say that you are "in this for the long run" but then swap out of one for the other after a year. I think you need to walk the walk instead of just talk the talk!

Trying to trade physical on a timescale of anything more than once every few years is possibly one of the most ill conceived short-term non-strategies you can devise.

13 hours ago, vand said:

Trying to trade physical on a timescale of anything more than once every few years is possibly one of the most ill conceived short-term non-strategies you can devise.

So far so good. Thanks for your comment though.

You may have sold physical gold and bought physical silver but  have made a profit?

over the last two years GSR has been in the 60s -80s range that spread  isn't big enough when factoring in 

premium on gold probably 3-10%

premium on silver 20-50%

eBay costs or dealer buy back price

vat and or eu postage cost 

On 3/10/2017 at 22:50, vand said:

You say that you are "in this for the long run" but then swap out of one for the other after a year. I think you need to walk the walk instead of just talk the talk!

On 3/11/2017 at 13:05, 4Nines7Hills said:

You may have sold physical gold and bought physical silver but  have made a profit?

over the last two years GSR has been in the 60s -80s range that spread  isn't big enough when factoring in 

premium on gold probably 3-10%

premium on silver 20-50%

eBay costs or dealer buy back price

vat and or eu postage cost 

To respond to some previous posts and to avoid any confusion let me just go over what my plan has been.

Did I do this to make profit? No.

Did I do this as I think flipping short term is profitable? No.

Will I be doing this as frequently as my way forward as a stacker? No.

Am I a long term stacker? I aim to be, but we all start somewhere.

I am a recent stacker and picked up the bulk of my Silver last January (2016) at spot £9.83 plus spread.

I sold all silver this January at £14.00

I purchased Sov’s at spot £944 plus spread and only sold 25% of the Sov’s at £1010 minus spread. Selling 25% of my Sov’s gave me hardly any profit on the gold, but was only so as to be able to rebuy some silver.

With the 25% Sov’s sold, I waited until Silver had dropped to £13.90 to place the bulk of my order, having grabbed a few bits on the way down. Obviously this is 13.90 plus spread.

I did this because after more recent research into Silver and reading new patents for newer forms of cleaner energy and technology, I realised I had made an error in offloading the Silver, and to not hold Silver isn’t covering all of my bases. I do think silver has large upside potential eventually. I have diversified quickly back into silver after realising my error and aim to hold a ratio of gold/silver.

I also paper trade the markets, and have done for nearly 10 years. My trading psychology these days is to admit a mistake early and to not fight the market or get attached to my trades. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong..simples, I just get out, take the loss on the chin and look for next set up. This has spilled over into holding phys, if I am wrong, I correct the mistake, and quickly.

I was wrong to offload all the silver, but I was also wrong not to hold any gold.

I now have both and am happy with that. I was determined to have this rectified before next week due to the US interest rate meeting, the US Debt ceiling and the potential for Teresa May to announce Article 50.

I aim to hold for a few years and add a bit more during each price smack down.

Do I know where price will be in a month? No, but I calculate that over the long term gold and silver will do very well, even if we dive suddenly from here to shake the weak longs first.

Thanks to all for you replies and advice.

cool @RichRock  

I currently hold a bit of gold and silver and intend to keep both.

I do keep  changing my mind  on my ideal ratio ratio of each though.

I think after we leave the EU it maybe all gold ( not the chocolates) for me for new purchases. 

I'm keep thinking i should a concentrate on silver until then as come 2019 my  silver  will be 20% more expensive and my flipping silver ( not that i have sold any thing yet) may be worth more 

One thing to consider we only got vat free Gold in the UK  because of the EU, hope they dont remember that and take it off us .

33 minutes ago, 4Nines7Hills said:

cool @RichRock  

I currently hold a bit of gold and silver and intend to keep both.

I do keep  changing my mind  on my ideal ratio ratio of each though.

I think after we leave the EU it maybe all gold ( not the chocolates) for me for new purchases. 

I'm keep thinking i should a concentrate on silver until then as come 2019 my  silver  will be 20% more expensive and my flipping silver ( not that i have sold any thing yet) may be worth more 

One thing to consider we only got vat free Gold in the UK  because of the EU, hope they dont remember that and take it off us .

That all makes sense, will be interesting to see what they do with the vat on gold too. 

Archived