• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 Gold 1/4oz Griffin Queens Beasts Ms70

mongo28

I've been looking for the Griffin Graded in MS70 by NGC but not many have come up for sale... If anyone has an extra they are willing to sell please PM me.

Otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and buy 3 coins to send in for grading and hope 1 is considered an MS70...

Cheers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@mongo28I believe that only 2 have been graded. I have been in contact with a few of the big USA coin companies trying to see if they will be doing any grading:

paradise mint - which had graded lions told me that they were doing it in mid January - to date they have not - I plan to follow up with them next week

modern coin Mart (MCM) when I contacted them said they may or may not do the griffin.

You may have to send some in. If you do 3 and get 2, I take one off your hands.

Thanks for the update, and info! Yeah I'm surprised but with the issues of quality control from the Royal Mint i can see why the large companies are thinking twice about getting 75% MS69 and only 25% MS70...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I haven't looked at the NGC population but if you say only 2 exist currently[mention=378]Numistacker[/mention] is the owner as he had 2 MS70's in one of his unboxings...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have 1 of them. Will take a look now at the census

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the ngc pop report for the lion - it appears that coins submitted had a 50/50 chance of getting a ms70 grade. So far only 19 griffins were graded - and the rate of 70's is 1/8.  Wondering about this coin - if it could be the sleeper of the series.  

Looking at the ngc pop report for the lion - it appears that coins submitted had a 50/50 chance of getting a ms70 grade. So far only 19 griffins were graded - and the rate of 70's is 1/8.  Wondering about this coin - if it could be the sleeper of the series.  

I think it just means that none of the big dealers have yet sent a bunch of griffins to be graded.

The population of lions was very small until one of the big dealers sent a bunch of lions to be graded and specified probably a minimum grade of 70 on some of the batch.

@Numistackeryou are probably right.  I have reached out to about 5 us dealers and they all said they might grade but none have.  The money to be made is probably all in the 2 oz silver grading where a 70 is going for 10x to 20x cost.

i am waiting to see what they do with the dragon.

[mention=378]Numistacker[/mention]you are probably right.  I have reached out to about 5 us dealers and they all said they might grade but none have.  The money to be made is probably all in the 2 oz silver grading where a 70 is going for 10x to 20x cost.
i am waiting to see what they do with the dragon.

I have found that they sometimes take a flier with certain coins in certain years. To use a bulk label they need to grade 100+ of the same type and sometimes they invest and sometimes not.

They might do a bulk buy deal with the mint and leave 500 of something out there graded and next year 0 maybe didn't overwhelm in sales.

India sov 2013 hundreds graded... 2014 and 2015 0+ but it really says nothing about rarity.

I missed out on this item too.  Called MCM and they said that they have more in for grading but are not sure yet how many 70's.

What were they selling them for anyway?

Also - Was at bullion exchanges in NYC yesterday - they said they are getting some graded as well.  

I just sent off three 1/4 Griffin's to NGC.  Looking to get at least 1 70 to fill the hole in my collection.

I missed out on this item too.  Called MCM and they said that they have more in for grading but are not sure yet how many 70's.
What were they selling them for anyway?
Also - Was at bullion exchanges in NYC yesterday - they said they are getting some graded as well.  
I just sent off three 1/4 Griffin's to NGC.  Looking to get at least 1 70 to fill the hole in my collection.

$394 at MCM and Bullion exchange was the first to have them but sold out I. 30 minutes... I'll be watching as well...

8 hours ago, mongo28 said:

They sold out of ms70 in less than 2 hours... I'm pretty sure you UK guys bought them up before the US was awake...

Why would they go up on the site when the US was asleep?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Why would they go up on the site when the US was asleep?

Good question, as of 8am yesterday they were sold out... A UK member mentioned the deal at around 5am EST and it was sold out when I looked at the page. It could have went up the nigjt before but I usually get an email...

Archived