• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What would you tell the world about pandas? Coin news article

I am in the middle of writing a 2,500 word article for Coin News the biggest coin magazine in the uk. The article will be about the subject of Pandas.

Most coin news readers are probably not the average panda collector type.

What would you tell them about the wonderful world of pandas that will genuinely get them excited and interested in starting to collect?

e988d9a3edadd0ca92e96b8d234ee840.jpg

eb613a3c95459cfe7f98e09c464356e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing to tell them but I never wanted any pandas because I kept hearing about all the fakes at the moment then I got one in a random mint coin purchase from my trusted seller was taken by how good the coin was so would defiantly buy more from my seller and the wife likes them may be it's the fluffy panda design and the variation keeps it fresh.

Well i think anyone buying panda coins as an investment must consider the mintage and the number of Chinese there are.

Although many may not be able to afford the coins there are still a huge homegrown audience for these coins. This is also set against the backdrop of the Chinese government advertising precious metals and encouraging its people to buy. i have an account with Bank of China and noticed the only 'advertisement' poster they had up was for precious metal coins.

The huge Chinese buying population act as the ultimate safety net. So despite the high premiums the standard pandas have commanded from the off they have held their value. 

A further thing i consider is the incidence of milk spot. At the moment a member is advertising the most beautiful colourised Maple coin on the selling side of the forum. It really is delightful but for me i just can't go for it b/c of the spectre of milk spot. To my knowledge milk spot is not such an issue with pandas

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

More information about the mints they come from, the history and the minting process etc. Nobody ever goes into detail about where they come from. They just mention the name of the mint, the coin, and that is all. 

In the modern era the pandas are quite an old series; the silver goes back to 1989, although there were some proofs before then, and the gold 1982. The design changes every year and there are several sizes and finishes. Add to this the mint varieties, date etc and the special show and anniversary issues, and you have a huge potential for interest and history.

On the flip side, the huge problem of fakes, funnily enough from China, and the huge numbers minted in recent years.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I will build all this into the article thanks guys

I'd mention quality of strike, and quality control. Pandas are compatible to the Lunars from the Perth Mint. Mirrored fields on reverse and like the Lunars and unlike the ASE the design is always changing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I think a potential framework for a written piece might be to deal with what the coin collector looks for/ likes.

What do those of us who collect coins look for. What makes any coin collectible or more collectible.

Using those key points a written piece has interest b/c it covers exactly what coin collectors are interested in.

We have heard about mintage, about the quality of the strikes, about the different designs and the variations between mints.

A little while ago i bought a large number of pandas - they were supplied in capsules and these capsule which were in sheet plastic holders of 15 coins as i remember. At another time i got a large number of Britannias. They were in tubes in monster boxes. I could immediately see all the pandas front and back. i haven't examined most of the Britannias. [No joy there] Every panda coin was protected from every other coin. We know all the quality issues with the Queen's beast silver coins. Much of these disappointments would be avoided by the mint encapsulating every coin. This penny-pinching attitude shows little respect for the customer.

Personally i love the 5oz proof pandas. i have been collecting these. Their mintage numbers are very low compared with the bullion ounce/30g coins. So you can be a panda devotee and still deal in low mintage coins.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

2500 words will hardly scratch the surface, by the time you put silver and gold, different designs, different weights, different varieties  different mints you'll almost be done, worth putting a bit about fakes and spotting to balance it out. Expect you'll put something about grading and medals. might be worth saying about 1/2 gold being hot at the moment.       

Also could but your perfect coin to own both silver and gold and tips for what you think are undervalued.

dont envy you 25,000 words might be more appropriate GOOD LUCK. Will be interesting to see if you are allowed to add onto here

9 hours ago, sixgun said:

A further thing i consider is the incidence of milk spot. At the moment a member is advertising the most beautiful colourised Maple coin on the selling side of the forum. It really is delightful but for me i just can't go for it b/c of the spectre of milk spot. To my knowledge milk spot is not such an issue with pandas

I not going to start digging through coins to take a picture but i have x2 2015 panda's with milking. I was shocked as hell when i seen them, even took them out of the capsules to make sure.

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

1 hour ago, Kman said:

2500 words is a lot

What kind of ratio will it be picture to word wise?

2500 words and then pics on top according to space

2 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

I'd split it into or 3 pieces, gold, sliver and special mintages for expos etc, not sure if you want to head into that route but i have been a subscriber of coin news for 3 years now and i know someone who wrote 4 pieces last year on the coinage of George V which you can find here www.jncoins.co.uk/JNC/en/content/category/3-articles

Good advice i have tried to cover all these areas and i am finding 2500 words not enough ))

Maybe you should ask to make it into a multi part series. With the structure as follows: 

part 1 - general overview of chinese coinage and history

part 2 - the chinese mints and various products offered over the years

part 3 - coinage designs over the years in various precious metal types 

part 4 - past, current, and future collectability and trends 

Hope this helps.

I think depending on the response and enthusiasm for the intro it's possible that the invite may be extended again as it is an area there is a lot to talk about.

I think this is a great idea!

I have been reading Coin News for many years and there is very little on modern issues - apart from some of the new lunar issues each year and Royal Mint issues.

The suggestion of a series of articles is good, starting with some history given that most readers will probably be more of the traditional 'numismatic' persuasion.

Various Panda coins/medals would make a great cover pic - and may attract new readers.

I look forward to the series?

ST

Archived