• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NewMSmatist15

Hello Silver Forum,

I'm relatively new to the Forum, but have been a long-time viewer of Numistacker's videos and a coin collector for years. Most of my collection consists of raw coins, but I've taken a liking to graded examples. My question to you all would be, how do you go about cracking coins out of slabs (like an ICG or ANACS slab) to prepare for submission to NGC or PCGS? There are videos on YouTube showing people crack NGC slabs or even PCGS, but none on the lesser known third-party-graders. Thank you all!

I have used a hammer, if you tap all the sides hard enough the plastic will break and you can get the coin out. 99% of the time no issues to the coin whatsoever. But, do at your own risk as you never know what might happen.

Bottom line is that the slabs are supposed to be bloody hard to tamper with or get into, so they are not designed to be opened.

@Platinumskies just did a video on his youtube channel where he cracked some coins out of slabs maybe he knows more than me!

Hope that helps and good luck 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

I have used a hammer, if you tap all the sides hard enough the plastic will break and you can get the coin out. 99% of the time no issues to the coin whatsoever. But, do at your own risk as you never know what might happen.

Bottom line is that the slabs are supposed to be bloody hard to tamper with or get into, so they are not designed to be opened.

@Platinumskies just did a video on his youtube channel where he cracked some coins out of slabs maybe he knows more than me!

Very timely question!

I was just considering sending some PCGS (and others) coins to NGC and wondered whether I just send the PCGS slab and let NGC open it assuming they have a gadget to do it? They must have to rectify 'mechanical errors' etc. It is probably buried somewhere on the NGC website - I will have to have a look.

Given the value of some coins I wouldn't want to hit it with a hammer or attack it with a saw?

ST

I've also used a hammer and pliers to persuade the coins out of (ANACS) slabs. I'd suggest wrapping it in a towel and wearing goggles to avoid catching any shards of plastic in the mince pies.

Having said that, I've had some bad results attempting to cross from a second tier slabber to NGC, that's another thread though

As far as I recall, you can specify a minimum grade to crossover. If it doesn't meet that grade they leave it in the original slab. You still have to pay for the service.

Why do it? One reason is that sometimes you may only find a desired coin in NGC slab but your collection is otherwise all PCGS slabs - and you want them all in the same slab type. That's been my primary motivation.

I have the same problem right now - I have 2 NGC graded coins from the 2016 gold 100th anniversary releases, the mercury dime and the standing liberty quarter, and the gold half dollar is graded by pcgs. All coins are either first strike (PCGS) or early releases (NGC)  If i were to cross the PCGS over - I would lose the first strike designation.  

I think the only solution to my problem will probably be to just go out and buy a PCGS Quarter and Dime. LOL:lol:

I have the same problem right now - I have 2 NGC graded coins from the 2016 gold 100th anniversary releases, the mercury dime and the standing liberty quarter, and the gold half dollar is graded by pcgs. All coins are either first strike (PCGS) or early releases (NGC)  If i were to cross the PCGS over - I would lose the first strike designation.  

I think the only solution to my problem will probably be to just go out and buy a PCGS Quarter and Dime. LOL:lol:

Maybe cheaper to sell that one and buy one in an NGC slab. I do understand having the set of matching labels but I don't imagine the first releases will matter too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Maybe cheaper to sell that one and buy one in an NGC slab. I do understand having the set of matching labels but I don't imagine the first releases will matter too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea @Numistacker

Maybe I'll take it with me next time I go to bullion exchanges in New York city and see if they would consider a trade for an ngc one. ? 

On 2/24/2017 at 11:03, BackyardBullion said:

I watched his video, so thank you! The whole idea of cracking the coin out of the slab makes me nervous nonetheless even after seeing @Platinumskies do it so easily...

On 2/24/2017 at 14:45, MaxShiraz said:

I've also used a hammer and pliers to persuade the coins out of (ANACS) slabs. I'd suggest wrapping it in a towel and wearing goggles to avoid catching any shards of plastic in the mince pies.

Having said that, I've had some bad results attempting to cross from a second tier slabber to NGC, that's another thread though

I'd be interested in learning about your bad results though. I started this since I was wondering how likely an ANACS coin or ICG coin I have would do if I put it in an NGC holder. It seems to me the ANACS and ICG holders in high grades don't comman a high price like an NGC or PCGS holder does. I've looked at the coin and cannot see why it wouldn't be an equal grade in an NGC holder, but I hate to risk damaging it in the process of cracking it out...

22 minutes ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

I'd be interested in learning about your bad results though. I started this since I was wondering how likely an ANACS coin or ICG coin I have would do if I put it in an NGC holder. It seems to me the ANACS and ICG holders in high grades don't comman a high price like an NGC or PCGS holder does. I've looked at the coin and cannot see why it wouldn't be an equal grade in an NGC holder, but I hate to risk damaging it in the process of cracking it out...

I heard about someone sending some MS70 ANCAS coins to PCGS for crossover. They requested minimum grade of 69 and none were crossed over, but they still had to pay the grading fee's!

Probably worth cracking out before sending in to avoid "discrimination" against "sub standard" 2nd tier graders!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I cracked a few ANACS MS70 Kookaburras and sent to NGC for grading. (Note that NGC will only cross from PCGS, others you have to send raw).

I didn't expect any would re-grade as MS70, most re-graded as MS69 but I also got some MS68. In the world of graded Kooks (and Perth Mint coins generally) MS68 is a rubbish grade. These are the ones that bulk dealers re-sell as raw or "Uncirculated Gem".

One specific example I had was the ANACS 1992 MS70 Kook I cracked and sent to NGC, who graded it as MS68. Given that 93% of these graded by NGC are 69 or 70, it means that what ANACS thought was 70, NGC thought was in the lowest 7% of coins they had graded. Make of that what you will.

Your results may vary, best of luck

In leu of this thread - I decided to see how difficult it would be to crack out my spotted ms70 philly from its anacs holder.  

Hammer in hand - one quick hit - split right open - and all over the floor. The coin was unharmed.  ?

To tell the truth - it felt good hitting it and breaking it open. All my anger of the coin spotting in the cheap plastic was gone. And there I was face to face with the milk spot starring at me - ah - I hate milk spots. ?

7 hours ago, Pampfan said:

In leu of this thread - I decided to see how difficult it would be to crack out my spotted ms70 philly from its anacs holder.  

Hammer in hand - one quick hit - split right open - and all over the floor. The coin was unharmed.  ?

To tell the truth - it felt good hitting it and breaking it open. All my anger of the coin spotting in the cheap plastic was gone. And there I was face to face with the milk spot starring at me - ah - I hate milk spots. ?

Cathartic!

Archived