• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is Worth Grading?

KevjustKev

As I am still quite new to all this silver stuff another question if I may. How do you, well I, know when a coin, and what type of coin, is worth grading.

It seems to me that Silver Eagle and Maples are not really worth it as there are so many out there and they don't go up in value if they are in a slab that much more.

Britannia's on the other hand maybe be a better bet? If so start of with those that are still in the mint packing?

Any help would be nice. 

Anything that's collectible might benefit from grading 

Can always look on Ebay and see what high graded coins sell for (on sold listings) compared to their non-graded counterparts

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

In the US - The big bullion houses grade the US Eagles - and sell MS70's for around spot +$20.  So there is no reason to touch these - however - if get into the very early years of Eagles - The US mint quality control was poor - and MS70 are very hard to obtain and command a huge premium.    

When you look at all the other bullion coins being offered by the big bullion houses - they will submit monster boxes of them - so for example the Queens beast is 250 to a box - since the coins are so heavy and the Royal mint uses a container which holds 25 1 ounce coins - Brittannia's, the coins move around in the rolls and you have lots out nicks and marks on the high places of  the bullion coins.  They will submit the entire box and out of 250 coins - they may get 10 70's. the rest will grade in around 69 and if less than 69 the bullion houses ask for a clever grade of "brilliant uncirculated."  Thus the reason these coins are selling for around 10 times spot.  

In my opinion - do not waste your time and money getting silver bullion coins graded.  It will cost you far more money than if you buy them graded already in the grade that you want. 

The one exception to this is if you are an expect grader and can pick out a Beast or any other coin (worth multiples in grade 70) that you know will grade 70 -But that is a crap shoot.  

Archived