• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My Little Coin Box Project

Danny-boy

Hi all,

I have been looking for a suitable box for my lunar series 2 typeset. That's 0.5oz to 10oz of the same design. Here's a pic of the coins in question...

y3umu9uj.jpg

I have found them, but the price has put me off a tad (around £50 delivered) - I could buy silver for that money!!!!

Anyway, I decided I'd make my own. Whilst I'm fairly handy, a nice box is beyond my ability so the search began. Was quite specific on size, so not an easy task in itself.

Then I stumbled across this art set from Rymans: -

http://www.ryman.co.uk/ryman-art-set-57-piece

dubybe8a.jpg

So I bought one from our local shop (2 minutes from work) for the princely sum of £6.99

I ripped out all of the crap, saving the coloured pencils for my little daughter, a bonus for her.

I then set out measuring the Perth Mint capsules with digital calipers and set out the layout to scale using autocad. I use the program at work. I decided the lion privy should be part of the set, and it looked better layout-wise so it ended up a 6 coin set.

So now it looks like this......

yny3ave5.jpg

A couple of pics of the box, not the most amazing quality box but for £7 it's pretty good.

4e8ymuja.jpg

usepe4uh.jpg

The lid will be filled flush with black tight-bubble foam and the base I'm undecided on at present.

Possibly MDF with holes cut in and wrapped in blue velvet effect material, or possibly black foam as per the lid with holes cut with a hot knife.

I know some "purists" will hate this project, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

Let me know what you think.

Stacker since 2013

Good thinking - I wish you luck cutting out perfect holes.

Keep us posted on how you succeed.

Cheers, apparently if you compress the foam fully and cut round the capsules with a scalpel, it should give a very good edge.

We shall see!!!!

Stacker since 2013

Great idea Dan, looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Cheers Garth, me too!!!

Dropped the coins in the box to check layout worked.....

u9aqu2as.jpg

Think it looks nice.

I'll be using the cut-out foam and cutting it laterally to provide a base so all coins (all different thicknesses) sit flush with the face of the base foam.

Stacker since 2013

Yeah should be quite easy to cut the foam, good idea, gonna look great. Lets hope they don't release a kilo horse :)

They already have!!!

Not sure how the dark grey foam will look surrounding the coins, I'll try it and see.

If it looks shit, I'll figure out covering it somehow.

Stacker since 2013

Current costs are £6.99 for the box and £5.49 for the foam (enough to do two boxes).

So if it works out, that'll be £9.73 for the box and foam.

Foam should be here by the end of the week, let's wait and see what it looks like!!!

Stacker since 2013

That looks like a pretty fab project matey! Cant wait to see the finished product. I think black velvet would be a nice lining. :)

Cheers Sham.

I like the idea of black velvet, just not sure how it would sit over the foam.

If it doesn't work, I might need to make the base out of MDF and cover that.

Stacker since 2013

You got to like the idea even if the end product ain't the best.

I got high hopes for it though.

It has given me a couple of ideas to box up a SGB Series of Dissent as a six coin set, Four reverse sides, one obverse pirate and the reverse side of double pirate in a wooden box of some kind.

How are you going to cut the circles?

Very carefully!!!!

Have a new box of scalpels, so they should do it fine. Will cut around the capsules.

Have done the box lid insert, looks fine. Have cut the base insert to size and I'm just about to cut the holes.

Done a few test holes and they came out fine. Just got to get it perfect 6 times in a row now!!!

I think it will need covering in fabric though, but that's the easy bit.

Will report back soon.

Stacker since 2013

Right, foam is done.

Because you have to cut at an angle, you don't need packers behind to take up the width difference, just push them in until they are flush.

Anyway, pics.....

8y5ady4y.jpg

yma4ejud.jpg

jutupuba.jpg

Like I said, the foam could do with covering with something really, but I'm not sure how a material (baize, velvet etc) would work around the holes.

The foam is very forgiving (always cut slightly smaller holes and slightly too big for the box base insert, and it squeezes in nicely. Material wouldn't be forgiving at all.

Let me know what you think.

Stacker since 2013

Archived