• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Roman and Greek coins

Lea79

Hi guys

Recently ive found myself interested in old Greek and roman coins.  I just wondered if anybody collected them? And had any tips on how to recognise counterfeits. Also where to purchase said items.  I've looked at gold ones on baldwins but the cheapest I can find is 700 quid!! 

Thanks ?  

There is a place called Coincraft opposite the British Museum in London which has a lot of Roman (and Greek?) coins.  I don't know how it compares for prices.  When I was in there some time ago they had tub of very crude Roman coins for not much money but they were in a very poor condition. 

Also if you look at auctions there is an auction of Roman coins coming up at DNW.

Personally I know only that I know nothing.  But some of the fakes were made in Victorian times so they are antiques in their own right. 

Thanks for the reply.  Never heard of DNW I'll have to give them a look.  I know nothing myself.  I've done a little bit of research online but I think it's gonna take time for it all to sink in haha.  I'd like some good graded BC coins.  I think they would enhance my humble collection.  The gold coins are far too expensive for my budget unfortunately so it's gonna have to be silver.  

29 minutes ago, Lea79 said:

Thanks for the reply.  Never heard of DNW I'll have to give them a look.  I know nothing myself.  I've done a little bit of research online but I think it's gonna take time for it all to sink in haha.  I'd like some good graded BC coins.  I think they would enhance my humble collection.  The gold coins are far too expensive for my budget unfortunately so it's gonna have to be silver.  

Have a look at sixbid.com - lots of auction houses I had never heard of at the time:lol:

These tend to cover higher grade things, most dealers will have some roman in all grades. The Heritage weekly world coins auction on a Thursday (very late:wacko:) usually has lots of roman/greek etc at the start. Worth having a look to see which types you like the look of as there are lots and lots - that is the reason I don't collect them there was too many to choose from.

ST

Sorry DNW is Dix Noonan Webb.  I had a look and find it is just an auction of bronze coins and some of them are more expensive than the gold one you mentioned.  There are plenty of other auction houses so perhaps just search for the sort of coin you want and see what comes up. 

There are loads of roman coins but ive got 30yrs to have a good crack at getting them. It's a bit confusing for a novice tho coz there where so many different emperors I don't know where to start haha.

I looked at that DNW and there where loads of nice coins on there.  They are a bit pricey.  1 was going for 60000 - 80000!!! Apparently only 7 known specimen exist.  

8 minutes ago, Lea79 said:

There are loads of roman coins but ive got 30yrs to have a good crack at getting them. It's a bit confusing for a novice tho coz there where so many different emperors I don't know where to start haha.

I looked at that DNW and there where loads of nice coins on there.  They are a bit pricey.  1 was going for 60000 - 80000!!! Apparently only 7 known specimen exist.  

For drooling over coins check out the Prospero collection which Bladwins sold in 2011 - top coin went for 3.25million!

Looking for something else I stumbled on this forum which may be of interest.http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?board=27.0;wap2

The link is to threads for Newbies but there is lots else

From a brief look at one of the threads on silver washing it seems to be populated with alarmingly knowledgeable people.

They could perhaps take some design lessons from this site.

11 hours ago, Seasider said:

Looking for something else I stumbled on this forum which may be of interest.http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?board=27.0;wap2

The link is to threads for Newbies but there is lots else

From a brief look at one of the threads on silver washing it seems to be populated with alarmingly knowledgeable people.

They could perhaps take some design lessons from this site.

Sounds awesome I'll go and have a look at that now thanks ?

Archived