• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help with pricing slabbed silver coins!

Yeti

Hi guys haven't been around for a while, stupidly sold off all my gold about 6 months ago and lost heart with PM's, but still left with my silver... :)

just wondering as I don't know much about silver, how much are these coins as per the photo worth roughly? I've had a quick look on eBay and they are saying £46 delivered but what they ask and what they get are two different things. What's the story with these slabbed coins? Any info much appreciated. I have a few of these from when I was buying like a mad man a few years back...

cheers in advance!

IMG_9960.PNG

I would put koalas at the bottom end of semi-numis.  I can't see how anything under a MS70 would add value.

£46 seems too much to me but just on instinct and no research.

I might be mean but I'd say £25 tops.

100% agree with this, and I also think £25 tops.

Stacker since 2013

Theres nothing wrong with MS69 graded coins. Who looks at their coins under a microscope?

I'd say the coin is worth more than £25 stated as the coin alone is £20-£22 minimum. People would pay an extra £10-£15 for it to be slabbed.

1 hour ago, danmc82 said:

People would pay an extra £10-£15 for it to be slabbed.

This person wouldnt

mintage of half a million coins - hardly rare in the slightest

Slabbed modern brand new coins is just plain stupid.  Why why why ??

As every coin is shipped in plastic capsule at point of purchase, the likelhood of any coin being any less thsn ms69 is rare as most will never leave their capsule

9 minutes ago, Paul said:

This person wouldnt

mintage of half a million coins - hardly rare in the slightest

Slabbed modern brand new coins is just plain stupid.  Why why why ??

As every coin is shipped in plastic capsule at point of purchase, the likelhood of any coin being any less thsn ms69 is rare as most will never leave their capsule

I partially agree - there is little point in slabbing a low-end semi-numi coin like a Koala.  A Panda would be more understandable., for example, as MS70 after only a couple of years is often significantly more expensive than unslabbed or MS69.

Might it be that a large dealer gets huge price-breaks on bulk slabbing, and it makes it worth their while?

1 minute ago, shortstack68 said:

I have to agree with the concensus about slabbing modern coinage, which brings me nicely as to why some here are slabbing the queens beasts at all, it's just an added cost onto the bullion price, then there is those who will buy 10 coins, send them for grading in the hope of getting 1 MS70, seems crazy and a waste of money (My opinion only)

I think some of it is down to the quality control issues - third party graders are seen as the ultimate guarantors of 'condition' (which is ridiculous).

However, slabbing a coin does make it far more desirable to the international market; the Americans in particular have developed a form of mass-neuroticism that unslabbed coins cannot possibly be problem free and genuine.

Mostly it's for profit though.  MS70 carries a prestige, allegedly, that allows people to increase the price by huge margins. 

37 minutes ago, Clens92 said:

I partially agree - there is little point in slabbing a low-end semi-numi coin like a Koala.  A Panda would be more understandable., for example, as MS70 after only a couple of years is often significantly more expensive than unslabbed or MS69.

Might it be that a large dealer gets huge price-breaks on bulk slabbing, and it makes it worth their while?

Dealers probably send in 500 or 1000 coins at a shot with a minimum grade of 69 asked for.  Since they are already paying for the service it only makes sense for them to have them slabbed.  Some dealers even go one further in that if the coin doesn't meet ms69 they just have the companies slab em as brilliant uncirculated, or something like that. So just know that if you have the option to buy a 69 or brilliant uncirculated for the same price - always go with the 69. 

I myself have a few slabbed 69 coins because they are easy to show to My wife who loves my coin collection and can't get enough of me talking about it. ?but only for that reason. ?

14 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

This might be the case, might it also be that they get favourable grades? This brings me to the youtube stacker lady liberty. I watched one of her videos which also mentioned PCGS grades and prices. PCGS had graded 12 American coins of the same type and date in 5 years at MS66+ than they had done in previous years. This coin was sold in an auction in 2003 for $33,000 and more recently it realised a price of $3500, a bit sore to say the least.

NGC are saying that PCGS are grading willy nilly this can be seen on a link on their website, but what i'm getting from what NGC are saying is that irrespective if your coin is an actual 70 or not they won't exceed an amount or else your coin will be devalued, which in itself seems quite unfair.....Here is a link to the topic, quite an interesting read

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5740/?utm_source=marketo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=17-NG-2181-NGCResearchPCGSPopulationsAndPrices&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1RFMlpUQmlNRGM1WTJNeiIsInQiOiJJOStoWkkwM1ArN25TQUtUVEFsekhDWUhzXC9UZTFkNWpnaGZnTEdZZHgzMEFoTlpZOE9GcCtMcnc2RXVucnRZWmkxSGFVSGlMc1N1UWplZEVyYWc0NktcLzJrNDJPb01MUVNFVXpkN21zNkFsK1BzU083OWxRWUtnbXFpYnJMejhFIn0%3D

Great article, thank you for the link.

15 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

C'mon @Paul don't exaggerate, the mintage was only 335,000!:P

@sovereignsteve Thanks Steve - the half million figure was just off the top of my head, that is the maximum mintage each year I believe for koalas isn't it ?? only 335,000 mintage, that makes all the difference of course - they are now as rare as Three Wise Men and a Virgin in Newcastle's Bigg Market Saturday night 

2 hours ago, Pampfan said:

My wife who loves my coin collection and can't get enough of me talking about it.

@Pampfan As the forums self appointed resident marriage guidance councillor
I am all for sharing.  
Share with "The Wife" things like tonight's TV viewing, share the utility bills, share the rent/mortgage, share the cooking duties, share the household chores.
Share your gold with you safety deposit box and not your wife, buy it for cash and have little to no paper trail to it and give her ways to lay claim to it should you both part company
How many husbands have you seen pursuing ex-wives shoe collections in separation ? she knows you've got $1000s tied up in gold, her eyes will be on the prize for sure

1 minute ago, Paul said:

@sovereignsteveThanks Steve - the half million figure was just off the top of my head, that is the maximum mintage each year I believe for koalas isnt it ?? only 335,000 mintage, that makes all the difference of course - they are now as rare as Three Wise Men and a Virgin in Newcastle's Bigg Market Saturday night 

As the forums self appointed resident marriage guidance councillor

I am all for sharing.  

Share with "The Wife" things like tonights TV viewing, share the utility bills, share the rent/mortgage, share the cooking duties, share the household chores.

Share your gold with you safety deposit box and not your wife, buy it for cash and have little to no paper trail to it and give her ways to lay claim to it should yous part company

How many husbands have you seen pursuing ex-wives shoe collections in separation ? shes knows youve got $1000s tied up in gold, her eyes will be on the prize for sure

I think you missed the? After my quote.  LOL

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

@sovereignsteveThanks Steve - the half million figure was just off the top of my head, that is the maximum mintage each year I believe for koalas isnt it ?? only 335,000 mintage, that makes all the difference of course - they are now as rare as Three Wise Men and a Virgin in Newcastle's Bigg Market Saturday night 

As the forums self appointed resident marriage guidance councillor

I am all for sharing.  

Share with "The Wife" things like tonights TV viewing, share the utility bills, share the rent/mortgage, share the cooking duties, share the household chores.

Share your gold with you safety deposit box and not your wife, buy it for cash and have little to no paper trail to it and give her ways to lay claim to it should yous part company

How many husbands have you seen pursuing ex-wives shoe collections in separation ? shes knows youve got $1000s tied up in gold, her eyes will be on the prize for sure

I think you missed the? After my quote.  LOL

24 minutes ago, Paul said:

@sovereignsteve Thanks Steve - the half million figure was just off the top of my head, that is the maximum mintage each year I believe for koalas isn't it ??

Was half a million maximum I believe even though it says "mint to order" on the bullion mintages list.

Changed to 300,000 since 2016 I think.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

This might be the case, might it also be that they get favourable grades? This brings me to the youtube stacker lady liberty. I watched one of her videos which also mentioned PCGS grades and prices. PCGS had graded 12 American coins of the same type and date in 5 years at MS66+ than they had done in previous years. This coin was sold in an auction in 2003 for $33,000 and more recently it realised a price of $3500, a bit sore to say the least.

NGC are saying that PCGS are grading willy nilly this can be seen on a link on their website, but what i'm getting from what NGC are saying is that irrespective if your coin is an actual 70 or not they won't exceed an amount or else your coin will be devalued, which in itself seems quite unfair.....Here is a link to the topic, quite an interesting read

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5740/?utm_source=marketo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=17-NG-2181-NGCResearchPCGSPopulationsAndPrices&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1RFMlpUQmlNRGM1WTJNeiIsInQiOiJJOStoWkkwM1ArN25TQUtUVEFsekhDWUhzXC9UZTFkNWpnaGZnTEdZZHgzMEFoTlpZOE9GcCtMcnc2RXVucnRZWmkxSGFVSGlMc1N1UWplZEVyYWc0NktcLzJrNDJPb01MUVNFVXpkN21zNkFsK1BzU083OWxRWUtnbXFpYnJMejhFIn0%3D

An interesting article but I'm surprised NGC have gone public with this, there could be legal implications.

The evidence and conclusions reached are very interesting although it's all circumstantial. Without knowing the total number of coins graded in the periods discussed along with proportion of new "raw" coins to re-grades, it's impossible to reach valid conclusions.

Only PCGC will have these stats and it will be interesting to see if they ignore the accusations, reply or sue!

NGC really need to look at some of the newer PCGS graded coins and compare them to older ones. Very difficult for them to do of course.

The increase in higher grades coins at PCGS could simply be explained by a large increase in coins submitted. They have made the mistake of assuming that the previous low number of MS66+ coins was representative of the total number of coins in existence.

Without knowing the exact increase in coins submitted for grading over the past few years, I get the impression there has been an exponential rise. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and it could be that owners of these new coins have finally accepted that they need to grade or simply been attracted by the large market values placed on the higher grades.

The problem is really the absurd values in general and the differences beween coins graded just 1 point apart in my instances.

I can understand collectors being obsessive about owning MS70 as opposed to MS69 in modern day coins, but this doesn't apply to older and rarer coins as they rarely get above MS66. The differences between MS65, 66 or 66+ will hardly be perceptible in these older coins and the vast price difference between them is ridiculous.

43 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

An interesting article but I'm surprised NGC have gone public with this, there could be legal implications.

The increase in higher grades coins at PCGS could simply be explained by a large increase in coins submitted. They have made the mistake of assuming that the previous low number of MS66+ coins was representative of the total number of coins in existence.

You have hit the nail on the head there Steve, that is an absolutely ridiculous statement made by NGC & I will be interested to see how PCGS respond.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

20 minutes ago, motorbikez said:

You have hit the nail on the head there Steve, that is an absolutely ridiculous statement made by NGC & I will be interested to see how PCGS respond.

One thing ngc has failed to mention is that there are many people out there who have say a ms66 grade coin valued at $500 where as an ms 67 would fetch $14,000, who will crack the coin out of the case and resubmit it to pcgs as a new coin with the hopes to get a higher grade, only to get a 66 again.  This could explain the tremendous increase in coins graded at a certain level= which could be simply the same coin sent in 15 separate times. 

Wouldn't explain the increase in 70's grading though unless that many more were sent in to be graded.  

We have to recognise that some people like collect good examples of bullion coins, the same as the usual numismatic coins.  If you like the designs, what difference how many are minted. or how little in increases the value.  Personally, I feel the slabs are better than capsules and they slot nicely in the NGC & PCGS boxes.  But I don't have many of them.

10 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

I'm sure you'll be able to buy "replica" NGC or PCGS labels somewhere as well, and then you'll definitely be in business:P

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2017 at 08:20, shortstack68 said:

Really interesting article - while the evidence does seem to indicate that PCGS might have less stringent grading standards in the past 5 years it does seem to completely discount supply and demand. If I'm an "old school" numismatist that thought NGC and PCGS slabs were like tombstones for coins and all of a sudden I see a 1918 Lincoln Cent in MS 67 RD sell for $12,000 and my raw coin can command only a few thousand dollars with people arguing over what grade it is, maybe my mind would be changed about slabbing. By spending $15 to $20 I've added a few thousand dollars of value at an auction where there is no doubt about grade and quality...maybe? As the demand for something increases supply will follow. If there are collectors out there that have been on the periphery of the third-party-grading trend they might have jumped in recently with such high auction prices for these coins.

Archived