• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New to Stacking and this is my plan:

ChrisF

As a few others have mentioned you get the added joy of wondering which of your beautiful Silver coins are going to spot, tone or haze subsequently taking a lot of the collector value straight down the toilet. Personally, I'm transitioning (not in the Caitlyn Jenner sense) from Silver to Gold with the exception of some older numismatic Silver coins.

I have to give a big +1 to the advice about Gold Sovereigns as well as Numi's advice about reading, reading, reading. I just bought a new guide book and my wife said, "another coin book?!?" It was the best advice these chaps gave me when I first started and it has helped tremendously.

One final thought...while you may not be able to afford a full Gold Sov out of the gate, there's cheaper Gold that gives you the best of both worlds, stacking and collecting. Take a look at the 1/10 or 1/20 oz Gold Pandas or Libertads. You're paying a higher premium with the fractional Gold but it is a cheaper way to get into the game and build an interesting collection (and collectors seek them out as well).

Good luck!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, whitesands1 said:

Closely followed by sealed 2008 from @BaldyBob

Those 2008 brits are probably the only coin which nearly sucked me to the silver darkside.

6 months on from my original post, I still advocate (and am currently stacking) fractional gold.

How is @ChrisF stack 6 months on?

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

@BaldyBob Howdy, Im still here and still stacking.  I have spent way more than I intended so far but Im enjoying it.  I have somewhere in the region of 70 oz of silver, 2 quarter oz's of gold and about 8 proof silver brits and queens beasts.  The QB series really got me to open my wallet up playing on pride in my nation.  I seem to have been diverted down the collector route more than stacker.  This is something I plan on rectifying by purchasing more Brits for weight at low spot prices.  My thinking being that I want to keep my sets to hand over to my daughter and I can sell the silver brits in years to come at beneficial spot price rise as well as the gold sovs I collect.  I still also have other coins such as dragon+phoenix and pandas etc that i will flip in a year or two.  

Hi Chris,

As others have mentioned the millking issue with Canadian mint coins, I started out buying the odd coin from ebay including maples and superleafs 1.5oz (look great) however six months afterwards they milk. I tended to go for the maples as they were marginally cheaper than other bullion mint coins. Cheapness doesnt pay. Yes UK Britannias are CGT exempt but they are something for a bulk buy rather than as a single collectable; compared to say the more semi-numisatic coins like the Perth Mint lunar series. Watch the Gold/silver ratio (Currently 74) its been a while since its 'favoured' gold over silver

Find something you like the look of and brings enjoyment from stacking/collecting and go from there. The fact that you're interested in silver (or gold down the line) puts you ahead of the rest of the poplus :D

Regards

Silver Sheriff

Archived