• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

GrahamHantsHog

Silver tests

I recieved two 2015 panda silver one ouncers today from the dreaded ebay, I always expect the worst when buying from ebay so do the magnet,weight,dimensions and specific gravity tests.

coin one

31.13 grams, magnet test ok, diameter 39.8mm, thickness 2.9mm but varies very slightly

sg test, weight in water 2.96 which gives 10.51 which as far as i believe is ok.

coin two

30.87 grams, magnet test ok, diameter 39.8mm, thickness 2.89mm but varies very slightly

sg test, weight in water 2.85 which gives 10.83 which seems a bit high if the sg of silver is 10.49.

Testing the sg seems a bit hit and miss, I used tap water not distilled as recommended, the coin would not stop rotating in the water vessel, my scales can give readings with variations of up to 0.02 grams and my digital vernier gauges is not an expensive quality one and varies occasionally by around 0.02mm even after zeroing, so can I assume both these coins are genuine silver, I was just a bit concerned that coin two was very slightly underweight on the scales !

I would not worry too much about the slightly underweight Panda.
Take a look at this forum thread -http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-36685-new-2013-panda-under-weight.html

Measuring SG is tricky if you are trying to get an accurate number.
Besides requiring precision calibrated scales you need to ideally use the correct water temperature and good practice in taking the measurement.
Pure silver is 10.49 so a higher number suggests a measurement error rather than base metal ( i.e. a fake. )

They sound like they are genuine to me. Usually with the fake silver coins they will be reading around the 8-9 region from a SGT. Anything on the higher side would suggest to me a human error issue on the test. I use dental floss to suspend my coins, seems to work pretty well for me. Good luck but they seem real to me from what you have said!