• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Tips needed for Photographing/videoing PM

4Nines7Hills

I have been very disappointed with the photographs I have taken of my Gold and silver collection.

I have tried various techniques using my smartphone and my fancy  APS-c camera (room lights/ no room lights, flash/ no flash nautral light/ natural light defused though the blind) I don't own a macro lens though. The  pics are either not in focus or there is far too much reflection to see the designs clearly, had anyone any tips?

This is not specifically about coins but i was photographing stuff to put on ebay.

I found natural light best where i did not need flash. i set up a table outside and would take things out there to photograph.

i have a Canon digital SLR with a macro lens. I can get really close up photos which are in perfect focus.

That is an investment but it produces the best results

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Photography regardless of the subject is about lighting... If it's too dim the picture becomes pixilated, and fuzzy. If too bright it washes out... You need an angled light source, that's how I do my eBay photos... Pictures sell a product, I don't but a coin and especially a rare coin without detailed pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The top grading companies actually Grade in low lighting levels at an angle to see imperfections but that's hard to capture with a phone or camera. Truthful today's phones have such great cameras I've put away my Nikon DSLR... You can but a lighting kit on ebay for around $25, it's a lighting box with 2 lights and 4 different colored velvet clothes. I've used these for years with great success!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Focus should never be a problem using a decent phone or digital camera with say 4M or higher resolution.
Some people try to get too close to the object and take the shot outside the focal range of the lens.
You can zoom your picture and crop it - so avoid trying to get too close.

Lighting is critical and natural light is always best but this doesn't mean bright sunlight.
Sometimes you may have to tilt the coin or move off centre with the camera to avoid unwanted reflections.
Too much light can cause overexposure and wash out detail so just experiment a bit.

Archived