• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

500 lire caravelle

I'll be in Italy for about 10 days.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I don't feel confident buying PM's in Italy for a number of reasons. However I remember in my last trip, a few jewellers (in Italy it's rare to see a pure bullion shop) have recommended the 500 lire caravelle:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2716.html

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/500_lire_(moneta)

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fit.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F500_lire_%28moneta%29&edit-text=&act=url

I didn't bother buying last time, plus silver was at its peak. Now I've been searching on Italian forums and it appears it's one of the most sought after silver coins in Italy.

It circulates pretty much only in Italy, it's easy to check if it's fake or not (most fakes are form China and the Chinese don't bother faking regional coins). Silver is at its bottom now. It could potenatially make a good buy, but... Should I need to sell, who knows these coins outside Italy?

Can anybody shed a light?

Thanks

" it appears it's one of the most sought after silver coins in Italy. "

And i'll wager few people in the UK have ever heard of it.

i might get one or two from an interest, numismatic standpoint. 

Are you buying the coin as an investment or as a collector?

When you look around there are some fantastic looking silver coins both old and newly minted in Europe which we hardly if ever see in the UK. I wonder how well these would sell afterwards. i suspect you would struggle to get spot.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

@sixgun I would buy as an investment only.

If I got even just below spot I'd be more than happy. I remember they were selling the caravelle in a plastic bag as junk silver for less than spot.

I'll give an update when I'm there.

" I remember they were selling the caravelle in a plastic bag as junk silver for less than spot."

You can find Florins and shillings around spot and every man and his dog on this forum would recognise them in a heartbeat. You can sell them again in the next heartbeat. 

i am simply being Devil's advocate here. If you said it was out of numismatic interest then great. If it is for cheaper silver then what is wrong with UK junk silver?

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I buy these 500 Lire whenever I see them on eBay, for the right price of course, which is just below spot. They can usually be had for slightly less than UK junk silver, but will therefore sell for slightly less also.

Archived