• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

FriedrichVonHayek

Customs Importation Codes

59 posts in this topic

The whole thing is very frustrating, I am expecting some auction lots from the US which will have two codes on as it is a mixture of gold and silver/copper/bronze so we will see how that goes!🤔

Being charged 20℅ to then claim the vast majority back is going to be a serious problem as >80℅ of the value should be at 0℅🙁

ST

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SilverTanner said:

The whole thing is very frustrating, I am expecting some auction lots from the US which will have two codes on as it is a mixture of gold and silver/copper/bronze so we will see how that goes!🤔

Being charged 20℅ to then claim the vast majority back is going to be a serious problem as >80℅ of the value should be at 0℅🙁

ST

You need to insist there is a commercial invoice attached itemising the contents and values.
The shipper should split the values into the 2 categories - nil VAT and Vatable so if the contents declared were say $1000 total then the customs form would state $800 code XYZ 0% VAT and $200 code XYZ 20% VAT. Provided this is done and you can show the detailed invoice it will definitely help reclaiming. Without that you stand little to no chance and it will become frustrating.

sixgun and sovereignsteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sixgun said:

The rules are 

VAT

You pay VAT on goods sent from non-European Union (EU) countries and EUspecial territories (eg the Canary Islands) if they’re:

If the item is declared as a gift, it is worth more than £39 and it is sent from outside the EU you are telling them to charge VAT.

yes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pete said:

You need to insist there is a commercial invoice attached itemising the contents and values.
The shipper should split the values into the 2 categories - nil VAT and Vatable so if the contents declared were say $1000 total then the customs form would state $800 code XYZ 0% VAT and $200 code XYZ 20% VAT. Provided this is done and you can show the detailed invoice it will definitely help reclaiming. Without that you stand little to no chance and it will become frustrating.

Pete,

That is what I have suggested - I may drop them an e-mail just to check!

I have all the invoices should it come to that.

Many thanks

ST

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if they put the correct codes on, I think it is unlikely they will charge you correctly.

If you do have some chargeable items, you will have to pay the handling fee regardless so you shouldn't lose out.

It should be straightforward reclaiming the excess if you have a detailed invoice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the thought on using the 5% VAT code but having to label with "numismatic" items or coins? Would it increase the chances of loss/theft?

I'm thinking of using this code on some items from Aus and the seller says he usually labels as "metal samples" because this is what the Perth Mint recommended to reduce chances of theft.

I'm thinking that using the code will definitely attract vat at whatever level they decide, but I will be able to claim any excess back. Or just use "metal samples" and hope it gets through un-noticed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i recently received a package with the first ever VAT for medallions forcibly taken from me.

i did the sums and will not be making an application for any of my money back. 

It sounds sensible to put the correct numismatic code and then a description like 'sample metal discs'. It does not draw attention from a Tea Leaf and is a recommend format from a State mint. 

 

Edited by sixgun
sovereignsteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/01/2017 at 09:05, sovereignsteve said:

Even if they put the correct codes on, I think it is unlikely they will charge you correctly.

If you do have some chargeable items, you will have to pay the handling fee regardless so you shouldn't lose out.

It should be straightforward reclaiming the excess if you have a detailed invoice.

First package arrived today - labelled 'numismatic items' and everything done correctly, no 20℅ to then have to claim back🙂

I just hope all the rest are that simple!

ST

sovereignsteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now