• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which gold coins series are you collecting?

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

I am planning on collecting the Australian Kangaroo and Somalian Elephant (not purchased yet) each year, as well as probably the Australian lunar series 2 as they seem to appreciate quite nicely (though not a huge fan of the gold lunar series coins) Gold goat is going to be our soon, I believe September.

Contemplating wether or not I will also plan to collect the Chinese Gold Panda. I am a big fan of the 2013 design so will try to definitely purchase that if the premium hasn't gone up too much by the time I purchase it, (2012 and 2011 designs I also find quite attractive and premiums not too huge) but if I purchase one of these panda coins I will probably have to start collecting the new release each year even though they might release a design I am not such a fan of (2014)

So here is my plan:

Australian Kangaroo (Definitely, also can be backed dated if needed as premiums on past years are not huge)

Australian Lunar series 2 (will probably collect, though not a huge fan)

Somalian elephant (probably my most favourite looking coin and I am holding off on buying any silver until I can afford to buy the 2014 gold elephant)

Chinese Panda (possibly may collect if I can afford to do so, recent years not too expensive, previous years ridiculously)

To purchase these I will probably sacrifice some silver purchases, I will still continue to collect the main coins I like from Perth mint i.e. 1oz, 10oz, 1kg kook, koala, lunar, but will forego some other purchases in exchange for beig able to comfortably afford some gold.

I will also try to pick up a gold Britannia, libertad, proof libertad, buffalo some point in the future but as these don't seem to change I am in no rush.

So what is everyone else's plan in terms of collecting gold coin series? If your planning to collect a few different series, what series would you collect if you could only collect one?

If your not collecting any gold because it's too pricey or your not a gold fan, what would you collect if you had to choose?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Big gold fan, I like it a lot. But the standard 1ozers are way out of my price range & collecting the 1/4oz of a 1oz which I really like (like a Krugerrand) will always make me think "I wish I had the bigger one".

Collecting sovereigns is my little goal, maybe US $5 gold eagles too.

UK Lunar - I have this years so may as well get full set

Somali Elephant - Changing design.  Only have 2014 so will just work from here.

Canadian Howling Wolf - Supposed to be a 3 coin series.  Might as well get the next 2 as well.

Chinese Panda - Have the 2013 and 2014 so will continue.

Australian Lunar Series 2 - I back dated the 1/10th recently.  I will continue to go forward with 1/10th only.

Australian Kangaroo - I've nearly finished back dating in 1/10th.  Will continue with the 1/10ths.  I do have 2013 and 2014 1oz but I won't continue be continuing with the 1oz.  I'll probably dispose of these at a later date.

There are some rarer/unique 1oz from around the world which I'd like to collect but the premiums are really high on them.  If I come into money, then maybe.  Otherwise, I can't justify 30%+ premiums on 1oz gold coins.

I've a few bits of gold but I wouldn't say I'm a gold collector,I'll just buy a few sovs every now and again and i will probably buy a 1oz Britannia before the years out as I haven't got one.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I think just PM Lunar coins. I have the Horses which I love. 1 Oz, ½ Oz, ¼ Oz and tenth. I would like to have the same for all of them from now on. Might start back dating a little too. I already have a ½ Oz Snake.

Might also get the Royal Mint lunars too, I loved this years Horse!

Not really interested in anything else. I have the roo's and nuggets but they are just bullion, nice, not not special.

This! For all years in the series! :D

gallery_8_9_667379.jpg

I think just PM Lunar coins. I have the Horses which I love. 1 Oz, ½ Oz, ¼ Oz and tenth. I would like to have the same for all of them from now on. Might start back dating a little too. I already have a ½ Oz Snake.

Might also get the Royal Mint lunars too, I loved this years Horse!

Not really interested in anything else. I have the roo's and nuggets but they are just bullion, nice, not not special.

This! For all years in the series! :D

gallery_8_9_667379.jpg

if you're interested Sham Chards have the 1/4oz dragon for £223, not a bad price.

Like your family of gold horses, really nice.  

if you're interested Sham Chards have the 1/4oz dragon for £223, not a bad price.

Like your family of gold horses, really nice.  

Thank you matey, good tip. The Dragons are usually quite hard to get hold of. Sadly I am taking a break for a few months now though as I am going on a megga treck around Europe so have had to have the stack locked up. Damn! So tempted! :wacko:

• Founder & Administrator

Australian Kangaroo - I've nearly finished back dating in 1/10th. Will continue with the 1/10ths. I do have 2013 and 2014 1oz but I won't continue be continuing with the 1oz. I'll probably dispose of these at a later date.

Letter know if/when you come to sell your 2013 roo, I have the 2014 and am collecting onwards so I'd be interested in that 1oz 2013 roo ;)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Letter know if/when you come to sell your 2013 roo, I have the 2014 and am collecting onwards so I'd be interested in that 1oz 2013 roo ;)

Sure thing. I'll have to wait until gold prices rise to reach my purchase price.  Alternatively, I will swap for a Libertad today or one of the other 2015 1 ozers when they come out.  I also need to point out that this was purchased in the secondary market from Atkinsons (although they advertised it as new but it came in a quadrum case).

Really like the RM 1oz lunar Horse and will hopefully get one soon. Got some sovereigns and half sovereigns and would like to start buying some quarter oz. Panda's.

So much I like but the bank balance won't take the strain!!

Archived