• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Should I get the 1/4 proof gold Queens Beast?

Kman

There are lots of dealer sakes wholesale sales foreign sales and collector non stacker sales and many of these will gradually appear on eBay at just over spot a little like older britannias do where sales are in the 1500 range.

I still can't see this coin being a winner at the issue price. The risk in this one is significant due to exchange rates, price and mintage. It's not that it's awful it's just it's not as good a buy as for example an ms shield Sovereign at the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

There are lots of dealer sakes wholesale sales foreign sales and collector non stacker sales and many of these will gradually appear on eBay at just over spot a little like older britannias do where sales are in the 1500 range.

I still can't see this coin being a winner at the issue price. The risk in this one is significant due to exchange rates, price and mintage. It's not that it's awful it's just it's not as good a buy as for example an ms shield Sovereign at the same price.

i might agree but 1/4oz gold proof Roosters sell on goldsilver.be for €422.79. The mintage numbers will likely turn out very similar. Like the Lunar II this is a series coin.

Britannias are more a set coin.

Britannias go on and on and on, so they do not lend themselves as readily to collecting a series.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Is it usual for the RM to send 45% of a product out to dealers? especially a product like this that is expensive and pretty niche 

Where are they all? Apmex have 6 for sale 

Is the RM can only sell 222 how are these private dealers going to shift 1000 between them?!

It just doesn't add up to me :huh:

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

http://www.muenzdachs.de/epages/63784639.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63784639/Products/2138

Actually, the above coin is cheaper than on the RM site, works out at £423

The difficult thing about this is that it's not really about the coin at all it's a bet on future usd$ exchange rates. If you think it will hover at 1.2 for 10 years it's a good bet and if you think in a year we will be at 1.55 it means a certain loss.

30 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

The difficult thing about this is that it's not really about the coin at all it's a bet on future usd$ exchange rates. If you think it will hover at 1.2 for 10 years it's a good bet and if you think in a year we will be at 1.55 it means a certain loss.

Well we do not know what the GBP/USD exchange rate will be. I agree the dollar index looks like it has peaked out, so exchange rates will improve from the 1.25 level but i don't actually think that will turn out to be the important issue. What i can see is inflation starting to work into the system as the trillions of quantitative easing currency works through. It doesn't matter what the exchange rate is when all the currencies have gone to Hell in the same handcart. 

We have seen low inflation b/c the QE currency has stayed inside the banking system creating bubbles as seen with inflated stock and bond prices. This is unwinding. The secular bull market in bonds is over. When interest rates are zero and negative, rates can really only go up, which then sends bond prices down. Bond prices will collapse in the mother of all meltdowns. Bonds will be dumped, it is already happening but the Fed and the ECB has so far stemmed the tide by buying them up.  Currency will come flooding out of the bond market looking for a safe home. I do not expect the central planners will be able to maintain control for much longer.

I wonder if there will be a USD in 10 years time but there will be gold and silver. :)

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

4 hours ago, sixgun said:

i might agree but 1/4oz gold proof Roosters sell on goldsilver.be for €422.79. The mintage numbers will likely turn out very similar. Like the Lunar II this is a series coin.

Britannias are more a set coin.

Britannias go on and on and on, so they do not lend themselves as readily to collecting a series.

You could say the same about Pandas - they go on and on and on, but even ones from 5 or 6 years ago sell for good money. I'd say these semi-numismatics are interesting enough to get new people collecting and older collectors excited about modern coins.

12 hours ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

You could say the same about Pandas - they go on and on and on, but even ones from 5 or 6 years ago sell for good money. I'd say these semi-numismatics are interesting enough to get new people collecting and older collectors excited about modern coins.

That is a good point.  What happens if the royal mint drops the cost of the griffin proof to say 400 pounds but makes 5000 of them? Will the people who say they are not buying the lion because it is to expensive change their mind about the griffin and just buy it.  What happens to the lion with these people then? Are they going to break down and then be forced to buy it anyway.  Why not just buy it now and enjoy the coin. @Kman just come over to the dark side and get one already. ? The force in the lion is strong.

• 3 weeks later...

we got some pieces left and they do not cost GBP 455 - they are cheaper :P

https://www.coininvest.com/en/gold-coins/queens-beasts/1-4-oz-queen-s-beasts-lion-proof-gold-2017/

coininvest.png

www.coininvest.com - coininvest GmbH

+44-20-369-50335 / +49-69-348-77570 / sales@coininvest.com

coininvest.com specializes in buying and selling gold and silver bars and coins to private individuals as well as institutional investors, financial advisors and resellers. coininvest.com helps their customers to invest in inflation-safe assets, with its offer ranging from 1g to 1000g gold bars topped off with all popular gold and silver coins. coininvest.com offers excellent prices as we purchase directly from mints and producers and act as their official distributor. coininvest.com is your expert for buying, selling, transporting, storing, insuring, sorting and reprocessing precious metals.

As of now only 1130 left at the royal mint - ngc has 3 graded 70 with 2 early releases and @Kmanis still on the fence about buying one:D.

I wonder when the proof griffin will be released.  Probably soon.  Does anyone know anything ?

10 hours ago, Pampfan said:

As of now only 1130 left at the royal mint - ngc has 3 graded 70 with 2 early releases and @Kmanis still on the fence about buying one:D.

I wonder when the proof griffin will be released.  Probably soon.  Does anyone know anything ?

I'm still trying to justify the price lol which I don't think I can

If I do get it, I will want to get the rest in 1/4 proof and that is an expensive prospect

A very beautiful but expensive prospect hmm

Someone posting the bullion 3 coins 1/4s in today I received, they looked amazing, that in proofs will be :wub:

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I have been watching this thread closely as I really value the opinions of this great community and it helps me (I think!) make a more informed decision on all of my investments and purchases. 

I have decided to pull the trigger and get one of these bad boys. 

My reasoning for both getting and not getting have been discussed here already but basically it comes down to a gamble - and to be honest life is a gamble! My thoughts are that it is a popular series, this design is awesome and it is low (although not extremely) low mintage. 

I also figure, worst case scenario I have a lovely coin to enjoy, and all I would have to do is wait for gold to be at £1,800 per oz to get my money back on the value of the gold only, nevermind the numismatic and proof value bonuses. £1,800 per oz might seem like a pipe dream, but in 20 years time it will be that with inflation alone. Yes I am aware real money terms I lose out but I am a numbers man and as long as I enjoy the ride and am not losing everything then it is all good!

Same goes for the 1 oz silver proof too, picked on up as well! 

If you are going to get one use topcashback for 2.1 % on gold (£9.55 off!) and if you use the code  BND103  you will get a free £20 coin (1/2 oz free 999 silver!) I also used my dad as a friend refferal on topcashback to get £15 referral so all in all I (my family) get nearly £45 off.

So a 1/4 Proof QB can actually be worth it at £410!?

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

So as an update, my coin arrived all OK from the Mint. 

And....

I love it, I think it is really awesome actually, so does the all important "Mrs Backyard Bullion" which is a telling sign if ever there was one!

I have filmed a review video which will go live on wednesday via my Youtube channel, so make sure to check that out when it goes live!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

5 hours ago, Pampfan said:

Only 1114 left at the mint.  

Really curious as to if they stop offering it after the proof griffin is released?

I personally thinks it will continue selling until jan 2018 that's 1 year after lion proof first  released

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

7 hours ago, Pampfan said:

Only 1114 left at the mint.  

Really curious as to if they stop offering it after the proof griffin is released?

They had 1157 left about 30 days ago, so 43 sold since then

On the 6th of December they had 1379 

So the Royal Mint has sold about 265 

@KmanThere is no need to rush out and get this coin at this point. Just phoned the royal mint and asked how long the 1/4 ounce lion will be on sale - the answer was a terrible "until they are sold out".  :(

Also asked about the release date of the griffin - reply "no date yet".

I am glad I got mine - but now I must question if I want to continue  on with the proof series.

1 minute ago, Pampfan said:

@KmanThere is no need to rush out and get this coin at this point. Just phoned the royal mint and asked how long the 1/4 ounce lion will be on sale - the answer was a terrible "until they are sold out".  :(

I would be shocked if they don't adjust their mintage for the Griffin, which may make it more attractive 

Archived