• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Should I get the 1/4 proof gold Queens Beast?

Kman

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Pampfan said:

Better than £500 :)

has anyone noticed that the mint is almost sold out of the 5 ounce gold proof version.  Hard to believe that so many people have shelled out £8250 for it.

I saw that "thing" too. Nice and impressive... but... well... that would take a lot of explaining to the wife I think.

Just checked the Royal mint website and now they have approx 1317 coins left - Seems odd because I could have sworn that they had 1250 left a few days ago when I checked.  Did that many people return them or cancel their orders?  Possible quality control problems?  It will be very interesting to see if the number left continues to go up.  If another 1682 coins are returned could I be the only one left in the world with one.  :D

Happy Holidays all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sold numbers seem to be holding at about 1200 sold when checking the royal mint website. 

Quick question about the royal mint, when similar issues were released in the past with a maximum mintage number and they did not sell out, do they:

1) keep selling until all are gone?

2) keep selling until a specific date after which the product is no longer available?

The us mint has done both in the past and I think if the sales numbers hold to this level it will be very interesting to see what happens with the griffin and further releases.

• 2 weeks later...

As of now 1267 left of the 1/4 ounce gold beast at the mint. 

Just found out the results of My 1/4 gold proof coin being graded by ngc.  I believe it is the first one they have graded since there is no population report yet. The final grade was pf70 ultra cameo early releases.

Pictures to come once I receive it back from ngc.

• 2 weeks later...

Well 

tommorow is the last day ngc will be accepting the 1/4 ounce gold proof lion for early releases status.   Unless there are already coins at ngc to be graded, it could very well be that my example will be the only one in the world in grade pf70uc early releases.

I will be looking at the population report everyday for the next 4 weeks to see if any others pop up.

This brings up an interesting topic, as to what really makes a coin rare - is it mintage, grade, or grading ranks by an ngc or pcgs. 

I think for older coins it is mintage,  condition, and history.  

For newer coins just minted it seems to be third party grading in 70 condition, then all the other bull  additions by the grading services - first strike-special labels- etc.  

this in turn makes a coin of 5000 mintage into tiers of graded coinage:  by grade, release status, label,etc. for which we attribute a value on.  

What will future collectors think. 

What do you guys think. 

(Myself, I Just want some braging rights if it turns out my coin is the only one! LOL??)

15 minutes ago, Pampfan said:

What do you guys think. 

(Myself, I Just want some braging rights if it turns out my coin is the only one! LOL??)

Id be very happy in your position 

I see the bullion 70s are going for $200+ atm

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

8 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Early release is just another marketing ploy to get the masses to part with some more dollars for status, it's all BS really. The COA gives the true status of how early the coin was minted, thats more important than how quick you can get the coin to the TPG :rolleyes: and out of curiosity, what is your COA number?

P.s, your coin won't be the only one, i'll be sending mine in sometime this year when it suits me :D

Coa was 0001 ( ?)

13 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

The COA gives the true status of how early the coin was minted

Do they actually match up?

The 2017 proof sovereign I got was 400 something 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked the royal mint website - They have 1212 left in stock - Which means 1288 have been sold.  Pretty poor sell rate out of all the other offerings from the mint.  

Also just checked the NGC Website and to my surprise my coin is still the only one which they have graded?

Just doesn't appear to be possible - 

So I have been debating with myself as to what should I do next:

1) Continue to collect the series?

2) Sell it to see what I can get for it?

3) Just hold on to it and not collect the rest of them?

4) Do nothing (Seems to work for a lot of people)

I think for now I will plan to continue the series.

(Heck - Someone has got to do it);)

The BU will appreciate 3x faster since the majority of the coins arrive damaged. (Queens cheek). The Proofs will be perfect, at least 1 in 3 will grade PF70, while 1 in ~1400 grade MS70 for the BU...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked ngc website and it looks like they have only graded 3 so far - 2 @ 70 and 1 @ 69.  All three are early releases -

The mint still has 1157 left.  It appears that there is some momentum building on this coin.  A sell-out is possible. ????

Question is what will they do for the other 9? My guess is reduce mintage considerably. Even with the number sold at the moment the 1/4 QB won't be rare ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Question is what will they do for the other 9? My guess is reduce mintage considerably. Even with the number sold at the moment the 1/4 QB won't be rare ever.

They were put on the Royal Mint Website on the 5th December with a mintage of 2500

On the 6th of December someone here checked how many they had - 1379

They now have 1157 left

They sold 1121 in one day and 222 since?!

222 seem like real sales, where did the 1121 go on the first day?

Unless they appear somewhere, I'm much more obliged to think there's only 222 kicking about 

When the 2017 proof sovereign was released many here bought the coin with little to no hesitation. That included me.

As fully anticipated this coin has done well despite the highly inflated release price. 

This proof Queens Beast gold coin is part of a very popular series. There is no reason to imagine, save disastrous quality issues, this series will become any less popular. i imagine it will become more popular if the designs are of the same standard. 

The price is £455 for a proof. The mintage is 2500. 

I looked at the prices of proof 1/4oz gold from the Lunar series. i took a look on https://www.gold.de/kaufen/goldmuenzen/lunar-serie-ii/ 

Most of the years in the Lunar Ii coins aren't available from dealers. 

A proof Lunar II Rooster 1/4oz gold coin from http://goldsilver.be/en/gold/831-14-oz-gold-lunar-rooster-2017-proof.html is €422.79. 

i have part of a set of 1/4oz Lunar I BU coins - the prices of some of the coins is silly. 

This is a very popular series. I see these proof Queens Beasts as one of the most beautiful coins the Royal Mint has ever produced. 

The mintage is not large in the face of the popularity of the coin.

If i were to ask coin collectors around the world if they were aware of the Queen's Beast series, i expect the vast majority would be aware of these coins. If i were to ask them about certain Panda Rooster medallions there would be blank looks. 

If you want this gold coin and you can afford it, then get it. This will appreciate in value. The numbers are not that high for a very popular series and for a coin of such beauty.

i would be amazed if everyone on this thread doesn't like this coin. Everyone of us wants it. Get the coin if you can afford it.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Archived