• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

storage for loose gold bullion

breaktwister

Hi all, I have received my first loose gold bullion coins and need somewhere to store them.  I have read a lot about silver storage (stay away from pvc, air-tight and dry storage etc) and I guess that gold is much sturdier although there is still the need to protect from scrapes.  Are the cheap and cheerful "coin wallets" I see on ebay OK for a gold bullion collection?

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120-Coins-Collection-Holders-Storage-Money-Penny-Pocket-Album-Book-Folder-/222230245723?var=&hash=item33bdf4715b:m:miNPIfh7z2NwBdrqw28XjQw

Any other suggestions much appreciated.

Why stay away from air tight storage?  It's ideal to keep any pollutants that will react with your coins out.  Dry storage?  You mean using some sort of desiccant?  Nothing wrong with that afaik as long as it isn't something that will react with your coins and isn't actually touching them.  I use bags of silica desiccant in the same safe/box as my bullion along with anti tarnish strips or larger bags of activated charcoal to absorb sulphur based contaminants. 

I wouldn't trust anything like your link especially if it comes from China, you know how they seem to have very lax regulations/safety standards over htere, and doesn't mention not containing pvc.

The cheap folders are ok but you may possibly find some PVC leakage in years to come.  I personally wouldn't.

I would either put them in branded capsules (no PVC) or use the cardboard flips.  If using the cardboard flips, you can then put them into a folder.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Numis-coin-album-for-large-coins-and-coin-holders-2x2-/401002408685?hash=item5d5d9b2aed:g:TTkAAOSwMNxXTtbV

I only have anti tarnish strips in because i have silver mixed in with gold in the same safes.  If I just had gold I wouldn't worry too much as they only dull very slowly over years and years.  I'd be more worried about pvc or damage from bleached or acidic paper/cardboard or wood.

If you have nice gold coins ( loose bullion ) then putting them in capsules is best as it will keep them clean and prevent further scuffing etc.
If your coins are bullion sovereigns or similar then using plastic flip wallets stops metal to metal rubbing.
Pure gold will not tarnish like silver and can easily be cleaned in solvents and will only dissolve in aqua-regia.
Gold however is very soft and will scratch easily so providing some surface protection is desireable.

I don't have any, I wouldn't be so cheap. I only stack good delivery bars, they make good door stops.

I have so many, they are getting in the way so I'm considering building a nice patio surround with them instaed of bricks. I'll post a photo when it's complete.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 12/6/2016 at 17:36, sovereignsteve said:

I don't have any, I wouldn't be so cheap. I only stack good delivery bars, they make good door stops.

I have so many, they are getting in the way so I'm considering building a nice patio surround with them instaed of bricks. I'll post a photo when it's complete.

I have my good delivery bars layed down in a circular road the rolls out my town of munchkin land.  Off to the wizard

• 7 months later...

Wasn't sure where to put this. About a week ago I buried 8 sovereigns in a nearby wood.

Buried Inside a tobacco tin wrapped in two small plastic bags to a depth of four inches.

Previously I had buried an empty tin in the same spot vetically with no plastic covering and containing some paper.

I unearthed this empty tin a few weeks ago and found that the paper inside was wet. Not surprising in hindsight.

I am confident of my method this time round. the wrapped tin is horizontal and should stay dry.

If I do another one it will be placed under a spreading holly tree making it quite inaccessible or perhaps in the midst of

brambles. But the brambles would make it hard to exactly pinpoint location of stash however.

On 06/12/2016 at 22:36, sovereignsteve said:

I just swallow mine - it keeps them safe for a day or so.  When they reappear, I rinse (if necessary) then repeat...

1 hour ago, Cointreau said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. About a week ago I buried 8 sovereigns in a nearby wood.

Buried Inside a tobacco tin wrapped in two small plastic bags to a depth of four inches.

Previously I had buried an empty tin in the same spot vetically with no plastic covering and containing some paper.

I unearthed this empty tin a few weeks ago and found that the paper inside was wet. Not surprising in hindsight.

I am confident of my method this time round. the wrapped tin is horizontal and should stay dry.

If I do another one it will be placed under a spreading holly tree making it quite inaccessible or perhaps in the midst of

brambles. But the brambles would make it hard to exactly pinpoint location of stash however.

You could place a golf style flag in ground above your stash and on the flag write "sovs buried here" that would remind you! Problem solved!

Now whereabouts is your bramble bush? :ph34r:

It's nice to see you thinking about the metal detector hobbyists of the future, it's just a shame we won't be around to see all the news stories of new sovereign hoards found in and around your area:)

It's only 2 oz out of 35 that's in the wood. I've buried a lot in a garden somewhere.....and there is some in my safe....and a bit that's not in the safe.

You don't sound at all sure:unsure: Hope you don't go a bit doolally in your old age and forget where it all is:D

• 4 months later...

A decent video on storage of PMs - excellent for newbies. 

Some good inspiration for seasoned stackers also, some great suggestions in the comments underneath video 

Dont have all your eggs in one basket !

• 8 months later...

Well, last week I retrieved the nine sovereigns that I buried in a wood somewhere around about the spring of 2017.

At first I could not locate the coins and so I bought a Garrett pro pointer to help locate them, which I did. I set this gadget to vibration mode

so as not to attract attention to myself. ( I did not want to be making any loud beeping noises). Anyway I learnt some lessons and I will do this again.

Next time I will take notes and a tape measure so I don't forget exactly where the coins are. I did make a mistake in using a hollow in the ground which

became flooded for a long time during the winter. As a result, water got into the sweet tin that I used. However, the water was not dirty and my

nine sovereigns were purdy. Result.

On 25/07/2017 at 12:18, Cointreau said:

Well, last week I retrieved the nine sovereigns that I buried in a wood somewhere around about the spring of 2017.

And people say there isn't any yield in gold.

Archived